Sign in to follow this  
Dax Hotene

Refurb suggestions

I've got a set of BBS CHR's and currently they're in black with slight curbing rash and basically I'm after getting that fixed aswel as getting them made silver and I was wanting to know where you guys would recommend getting this done and what method you would go of painting them. The black ones are what I have currently, and the other is what I want them to look like and I'm happy to take them anywhere between Taupo and Auckland

IMG_6654.JPG

IMG_6643.JPG

Edited by Dax Hotene

Like this?

http://www.wheelfixit.co.nz/ was the only place i could find that offered a complete one-stop-shop service from on the car to back on the car.

Fresh.jpg

Edited by M3AN

53 minutes ago, M3AN said:

Like this?

http://www.wheelfixit.co.nz/ was the only place i could find that offered a complete one-stop-shop service from on the car to back on the car.

What did they charge for 4 wheels curb fix+painting?

3 hours ago, Gabe79 said:

What did they charge for 4 wheels curb fix+painting?

$1200 including the 4 (BBS RC) centre caps.

Full chemical strip, remove curbing, balance, prep, paint and clear. The paint I liked was quite expensive, I think it was an extra $50 a wheel. I didn't get the barrels painted.

It could have been less expensive if I was prepared to dick around more. Some places would do it but I had to get the tyres on and off, other places would paint them if I got the curbing done first, others required me to have the stripped before they'd prep and paint. Too much effort. I just wanted a simple equation to get them done. Stoked with the result.

Refurb02.jpg

Edited by M3AN
  • Like 1

44 minutes ago, M3AN said:

$1200 including the 4 (BBS RC) centre caps.

Full chemical strip, remove curbing, balance, prep, paint and clear. The paint I liked was quite expensive, I think it was an extra $50 a wheel. I didn't get the barrels painted.

It could have been less expensive if I was prepared to dick around more. Some places would do it but I had to get the tyres on and off, other places would paint them if I got the curbing done first, others required me to have the stripped before they'd prep and paint. Too much effort. I just wanted a simple equation to get them done. Stoked with the result.

$1200 is about $1000 more than what I'd want to spend. :)

I have tyres off the rims already, I just need the rims refurbed, no additional work whatsoever. I'll get the tyres remounted on my own and wheels balanced and such.

I think I might be better off going the ChrisFix method, given my budget. I'd only consider getting it done if the cost was really close to reasonable, and that because I struggle to find time to do it myself due to kids/life/etc...

Fair enough, although I don't think you'll even get the paint for $200 unless you use rattle cans! :)

If you're getting the tyres off yourself also call GT Refinishers in Penrose, they also do wheels and gave me a competitive paint only option and came recommended. I can't recall sorry if they'd also fix the curbing (may outsource it and clip the ticket). Arrow as Glenn mentions above are also recommended.

You can also skip the balancing if you like (and then use weights once you have tyres on). Of course even balanced you need to use weights to compensate for tyre variation but I also wanted the wheels themselves true and balanced and that cost a bit extra because they have to spin them up (often more than once) during the process of fixing them.

I think the best price I ever got for "back to new condition" was $200 per rim. I ended up paying $300 each and given the balancing, type of paint, centre caps and extra clear coat I got added I'm pretty sure I'd struggle to do better.

Good luck and keep us posted, they're nice rims.

Cheapest I have found to fix minor curbing was 35 per wheel. 

Stripping can be a prick. And as your budget is low I recommend just prep the finish that is already on the wheel. Most newer wheel finishes are super tough and require acid dipping to strip them and be cost effective. 

I can blast newer wheels and key the painted surface ready for re paint for about $80-$100 but a full strip can take several hours. At $80 an hour it quickly adds up. 

Manukau Auto and Tyre (home of the mag wheel guru :D )charged me a 1k, repaired, resprayed, balanced (dropped them off with tyres on). Paint was $50 wheel extra as it was shadow something or rather. Ill tell you what they look like on sat. 

• Like 1

Im happy, they look new. Having a mare trying to find new centre caps, but the work Manukau Auto and Tyre did is really good

19554473_10154469807397693_6063909434350010793_n.jpg

19989506_10154469807532693_2080838421929699696_n.jpg

• Like 1