Sign in to follow this  
needsprings

E36 wiper problem

So I've picked up an 1992 e36 coupe with a wiper problem, initially I discovered broken wiper links and replaced those. Once I had replaced the links I noticed that the wipers only worked on the fastest setting. But I could hear the relays being activated in the module intermittently as I switched through the speeds (motor was not activated with the relays).

So I then replaced the module with a second hand one, and it turns out it changed nothing, and still runs exactly the same.

What are the chances that both modules could be faulty in the exact same way, or is it possible that the motor can only work on the one speed? Which I find odd, because if it works on the fastest, why not the rest?

Also to note, when switching out of the fastest speed onto rhe next slowest, the wiper blades stop where they are. Most issues I've found researching this issue seemed to be resolved with the replacement of the module so I'm not to sure to go from here.

Manage to sort it, I'll leave this up and explain in case anyone else comes across this issue.

Ended up taking the motor from the links and pulling apart, and just lightly scratching the surface of all the connections.

Chucked it in and away it went, must of been a bad connection to the motor when regarding the lower speeds. Might be helpful for someone else in the same boat and not wanting to buy a new motor.

• Like 2