Sign in to follow this  
GorGasm

M5 Rival

3 minutes ago, MD13 said:

Put manual and Merc in trademe and you get vans...

It's not a Merc, but don't knock vans...

Speaking as a driver of a 2013 Ford Transit 155 T350 with the 2.2L, I rather engine the 360NM of torque from the ZSD-422 (Duratorq TDCi) in a straight line, but don't rate it around corners.

43 minutes ago, Palazzo said:

Perhaps a little sensation in the headline! Scam? Maybe not... Although I'm sure that is possible, this won't be an isolated incident.

As for  "Dealership manager Wilson said: “I’m totally against these sorts of cars coming into the country“"... I see no issue with an older vehicle coming in to NZ provided it's history is known and recorded. The car discussed in the article wasn't necessarily used in a scam of any sort - it was just poorly and inaccurately recorded when entering the country - being listed as a 2013 model was more likely a NZTA cock-up than a nefarious attempt to pass it off as a newer model. The 2003 model is an R230 (and has twin headlights), the 2013 (model year) is a R231 and has a single headlight, carried forward from the R230 facelift in 2008. They're quite obviously different even at first glance. However, that's not knowledge a NZTA inspector is likely to have.

You could have had a R230 first registered in 2013, but it would look very different to the first generation model from 2003. Unless it had been sitting somewhere, in which case it's obvious.

Running a VIN check is pretty easy these days and should put a stop to anyone casually trying to make their car appear newer than it is.

On 7/14/2017 at 10:14 PM, NZ BMW said:

According to an online VIN checker it was a Malaysian destined car when new. 

A few years ago I recall reading about a shipment of Mercedes that came out of Malaysia to NZ all with very low mileage that were unable to be registered, maybe this one was. 

Must have an interesting back story. 

I was referring to this.

Every new car has the "model year" identified in the VIN - that would be a sensible starting point.

Again, my '72 Beetle was NZ new, and was first registered in 1974 - It's registered as a 1972 model - it is!

Our E39 was built November 2000, registered overseas in Feb 2001, and is STILL registered as a 2000 model! It's a 2001 model year, and either way, should already be a 2001 registration based what NZTA says (year of first registration), AND the fact it's a 2001 "model year" - the first facelift year.

Then you get hese cars that sit around before being registered, and are registered late, and labelled as later models than they are, because they were never registered previously.

In reality, it's the dealer/ person first registering, who is responsible for registering them correctly, and they don't always.

At the same time, NZTA is retarded, for even thinking year of first registration was ever a good idea, when the manufacturer leaves the model year in the VIN for all too see - Model year should be the year it's registered as, year of first registration can be stored too, and the rego ALREADY shows the month/year of first registration in NZ.

4 hours ago, Palazzo said:

I was referring to this.

Of course - I wasn't being 'funny' about your post. :) 

Just highlighting the woeful ineptitude of NZTA.

1 hour ago, gjm said:

Of course - I wasn't being 'funny' about your post. :) 

Just highlighting the woeful ineptitude of NZTA.

I wasn't worried, just thought you might have missed the earlier post. I have a 325iQW which can't be corrected without too much effort, so I'm aware of their general ineptitude!

• Like 1

And if it was a genuine car, I'd be tempted. I've always liked these and AMGs in general.

15 hours ago, gjm said:

Perhaps a little sensation in the headline! Scam? Maybe not... Although I'm sure that is possible, this won't be an isolated incident.

As for  "Dealership manager Wilson said: “I’m totally against these sorts of cars coming into the country“"... I see no issue with an older vehicle coming in to NZ provided it's history is known and recorded. The car discussed in the article wasn't necessarily used in a scam of any sort - it was just poorly and inaccurately recorded when entering the country - being listed as a 2013 model was more likely a NZTA cock-up than a nefarious attempt to pass it off as a newer model. The 2003 model is an R230 (and has twin headlights), the 2013 (model year) is a R231 and has a single headlight, carried forward from the R230 facelift in 2008. They're quite obviously different even at first glance. However, that's not knowledge a NZTA inspector is likely to have.

yes, a click-bait headline.  in reality, and given the story was from 2015 (so not registering the car as a "current model", the most likely cause is a data input error when reading the forms.  2003 to 2013 is pretty easy.  Just look how often it shows up on CarJam for a WoF mileage check!

17 minutes ago, Olaf said:

yes, a click-bait headline.  in reality, and given the story was from 2015 (so not registering the car as a "current model", the most likely cause is a data input error when reading the forms.  2003 to 2013 is pretty easy.  Just look how often it shows up on CarJam for a WoF mileage check!

Yup.

And as Scott says, changing anything isn't easy. Even names/models for cars that appear to have been made up!