Sign in to follow this  
proteusboy

2001 e38 728IA Restoration Services or Advice

Hi Forum!

I have a 2001 BMW E38 728ia that Have grown quite fond of but is now starting to show it's age.  Have tried to keep it as well as I could but after a couple of long periods without work, it is not in top shape.  I am trying to decide if I should spend the money to restore or buy a new vehicle.  Engine is sound but it is starting to have cosmetic problems.

Would be interested in know if there are any other people in NZ looking at restoration services and any advice anyone would like to share.  Both my partner and I really love this car, but not really sure where to start with a restoration project.

Any help you could offer would be greatly appreciated.

Kind Regards,

Steve

• Like 2

Steve - did you used to be at DD, perhaps with Gary Ilton? I recognise your name...

The E38 728i is a good car. Sadly it lives in the shadow of those E38s with V8 engines, but most of 200hp isn't to be sniffed at, and the 728i has the benefit of being (comparatively) economical.

It's not a car where restoration costs will be recouped, but you have the best reason for doing it - it's a car you and your partner love.

So that leaves the question of where and how to take care of things. How much could you, or would you be prepared to, do yourself?

Yes, I worked at DD with Gary!  It is a good car definitely.  I understand that the costs won't be recouped.  Not prepared to do much of the restoration myself.  Thus looking for services and advice.

Kind Regards,

Steve

Depends on what exactly is wrong cosmetically. If the paint\panel are in poor condition then i wouldn't bother myself, as a good examples can be had for <5k. If its just interior plastics etc then parts are available easy enough.

Comes down to how much you want to spend really

• Like 1

Welcome Steve, really depends on what you want to do, few of us with E38s that can offer some advice around work that can be done. 

The E38 is a great platform and well looked after will last for a long long time, flick up some pics of what you want to achieve 

• Like 1

I have the e38 sickness......currently have two but one will be set free for someone else to own.  I considered tidying up my first e38 as it is a good solid car but an easier approach is to watch out for a clean low mile version and simply get into a better one.   I just purchased a late 2000 car with 89,000 km and its like having a restored one......

I think they are very useable comfortable family transport and worth every penny as a daily driver.   If you are paying someone to restore a car I would put that money into a chassis that is more likely to be a long term classic.......e24 may be under valued....

• Like 1

Another E38 junkie here. 

I think it comes down to you balancing the costs of what you want as others have said.

Very nice examples of 728i's come up for sale all the time however if your attached to the car you already own then spend the money and keep it. But then again that'll depend on what your talking about doing and the depth and quality of the restoration your talking about.

Would be nice to see some pics of your car and some kind of idea about the work you'd like done to it.

• Like 1

There are two small rust holes developing in the passenger doors on both sides just above the trim line.  The rest is cosmetic such as broken clips on B pillars, the left rear shoulder trim piece with the light, scratches, and the bumper rub strips are marked up from people rubbing up against the car and minor dents and dings in the doors.  Also the rubber trim with chrome on the drivers side needs to be replaced.  I am assuming I will have to replace this all around the car.  I will also need to replace the chrome drip channel strips as they are coming loose from the car and it is driving nuts.  Lastly, my partner's friends children pulled the quarter window shade out and must have broken the spring as it won't retract.  The leather looks really worn and will need to be rejuvenated completely.  Need to replace mirror class on drivers side and mirror black trim pieces on both sides.  I got a complete list of things from the BMW dealer.  Which I can share if that will help.

Thanks.

Steve

PS:  Pictures coming shortly.

• Like 3

If you can post the list, that'd be good. Is that from CJ? (I used to take our 320d to Greg Hantz for servicing when I didn't have time.)

Would you consider doing some of the smaller stuff yourself? The seats, if not damaged, can be a very rewarding thing to work on. The results are immediately evident and there's the 'I did that' satisfaction from it.

Paintwork and trims can be done by a decent body shop. Despite having worked in Hamilton I don't know anyone down that way, but there must be someone.

I joined DD in 2013 (I think! - seems like a long time ago) and worked from Anglesea Street for just over 12 months. Great team of people - great memories.

Edited by gjm

I'd just look for a similar but better condition 728i to come up for sale. 

Could spend a small fortune trying to fix up the issues yours has. 

• Like 1