Sign in to follow this  
LemonHunter

Die Cast Models

I've never been a collector of model cars, except the one's I received in my childhood, I still have most of those... but some of these look so pretty.

http://www.diecastmodelswholesale.com/bmw-diecast/

Closest I'd ever be to M1 or classic Alpina ownership.

Agreed, the level of detail in the die cast models has come a very long way since I was a kid playing with corgi models. There are still the smaller scale and cheaper Hot Wheels type models, but the larger scale collectors types are really finely detailed now - but not cheap. If I could stop buying die cast model E30 M3s then I might have a chance of saving up and buying the real thing!!

The latest Scalextric cars are also much much better in terms of the details on the model, but the downside of that is that they are very easily broken when racing - so most of mine have never been out of the box and on the track to race just in case!!

I started a collection last year of M5's. The Ottomobile brand models are pretty nicely done. The e39 I have has a fair bit of orange peel in the paint finish so would like to wet sand and polish it up.

FullSizeRender (1).jpg

FullSizeRender (2).jpg

FullSizeRender (3).jpg

FullSizeRender (4).jpg

FullSizeRender.jpg

• Like 3

that level of detail though. I have 2 e31s (2nd hand) from Maisto but the detail is reflective of the purchase price. They are certainly more of a toy than the one's in this thread. 

I have a number of 1/18 scale cars & a bout 20 Minichamp MotoGP bikes, the detail is amazing

I also have a number of original Matchbox cars still in there boxes, that I got from my Grandfather, I used to play with them as a kid,under his supervision of course

• Like 1

Looks amazing, one of the coolest things I've seen in my lifetime was one of these toy with a Ducati for every lap , taking turns at taking and yielding the lead till the white flag then he put the hammer down and just wipe the f**king floor with him.  This was pre everyone having internet and cellphones, so the footage never made YouTube, all the more special to me.

What motivation does anyone have to crystallise memories easily revisited, but you forget to revisit...

Here is a photo of my Grandson sitting on a real one, this was at Wanganui Street races, this is the only Britten in the world that is still used/runs on a regular basis

IMG_0863.JPG

• Like 2

on the odd occasion i go te papa i sometimes sit and stare at the britten they have there.I can just drink in every detail of the thing

• Like 3

He's one of those characters, I try and conceive of what they'd have achieved if they'd not died so young... some musk/(Nicola)tesla/McLaren level stuff for sure.

5 minutes ago, Barryn said:

Here is the Britten being started at Manfeild for an English motorcycle writer

IMG_0018.mp4

maybe we should start a seperate britten thread?

What have I started?

if you are interested in the John Britten story, you need to read the book by Tim Hannah, a great read & really sad what happened to the company & the loyal employees!

Not content with spending lots of money on die-cast models of cars I dream of owning, I am now getting hooked into paying far too much for the tools and bits and pieces to complete a plastic model kit of the E30 M3 that I stumbled across on t'internet.

Going to go broke or be killed by a pile of models before I get near to owning the real thing at this rate!!