Olaf

Olaf and Neal's middle-aged blokes indie and alt music thread

49 posts in this topic

so here it starts.  with discussions of goth music emanating from a thread about a purple M3 for sale and Richmond Avenal, here's a thread about middle-aged blokes view of excellent (noteworthy) indie and alternative music.

better start with A.  it needn't be alphabetical.  Which is just as well.  cos this one actually starts with Q.

Are_We_Not_Men_We_Are_Devo!.jpg

yes, it's Q: Are we not men? A:  We are DEVO!   Devo's seminal album, recorded at Conny Plank's studio in Cologne.   This was fresh and new, and opens with the 1980's party standard "Uncontrollable Urge" (which should be played at excessive volume for best effect).  This is quickly followed by what is likely the best ever cover version of any song ever recorded:  Devo's interpretation of the Rolling Stones' "Satisfaction".  The gated drum sounds, the metronomic drumming of Alan Myers (the human metronome), and Devo's radical phrasing of Jagger's lyrics, it's stupendously good.

The whole album is a riot, including "Mongoloid", another party favourite from the early 80's.  If this album catches you, you're in for a wild ride exploring Devo's back-catalogue.  

Edited by Olaf
linky linky

not a thread for discussing mainstream music.  It's true, bands that started out fresh and unusual, often became mainstream and accepted.  examples - Duran Duran, Dire Straits, The Cure (even!)... here we can discuss the stuff that is significantly great, not just good - and - is a bit alternative, indie.

Rattus Norgvegicus (Stranglers IV), anyone?

Edited by Olaf
1 person likes this

And it should be noted, there's a welcome mat out the front; this church is open to all, not just those named in the thread title.

The 69 Eyes, or NZ band The Valves?

3 hours ago, Olaf said:

Rattus Norgvegicus (Stranglers IV), anyone?

Looks like I'm gonna be stuck here the whole summer
Well what a bummer
I can think of a lot worse places to be

The Tubes. Completion  backwards principal

Ian Hunter   Your never alone with a schizophrenic 

Edited by kwhelan

Excellent start.  but please, let's make this a discussion thread.  let's use it to switch people on to music they've not heard before, so not just a list, but a paragraph (at least) on your suggested album (s).  Sell your album, pique the interest of the readers.

I won a copy of 'you're never alone with a schizophrenic' on a radio station call-in when I was about twelve, never made it in to Radio Active to collect it.

Edited by Olaf

Here we go.... and your right on the Cure album name Faith.

Ive got one of those rare Cure Green plastic 12 inch 45s with " a forest" .Limited run and only in NZ.

IMG_1882.JPG

2 people like this

When I bought my house I found a collection of several hundred LPs and 45's in the attic of the Garage.  All bar 30 or 40 were well buggered or of no interest and went on Trademe to be sold by weight.

of those that survived I've only listened to a few, the vast majority I've never heard of, lots of obscure stuff from the 70's and 80's I think, I've only listened to the main stream stuff I've heard of, loads of Bruce Springsteen and some Elton john, Bob Dylan and the like

like a storm a new zealand band with basically no local profile

first album "the end of the beginning " was 2009 is really good and plenty of youtube hits including nice cover of gangstas paradise

Like a Storm is a hard rock band from AucklandNew Zealand, best known for combining heavy baritone guitar riffs and hard rock songs with didgeridoo. Formed by Chris, Kent, and Matt Brooks, Like a Storm have shared American & European stages with Alter BridgeKornShinedownBlack Veil BridesCreedPuddle of MuddStaindSick Puppies, and many others, as well as touring North America extensively as a headline act. Like a Storm are the highest charting New Zealand hard rock band in American radio history[citation needed]. Both of Like a Storm's two studio albums, "The End of the Beginning" and "Awaken the Fire", debuted in the Billboard 200. The band has toured with Alter Bridge, Black Stone Cherry, Three Days Grace, Steel Panther, Shinedown and Hellyeah

1 person likes this

9 hours ago, Neal said:

Here we go.... and your right on the Cure album name Faith.

Ive got one of those rare Cure Green plastic 12 inch 45s with " a forest" .Limited run and only in NZ.

IMG_1882.JPG

that's probably worth hundreds to the germans.  they love rare indie, and if it's rare indie from NZ, it's even more attractive and expensive!  

Neal, do you have the Pulsing EP by The Body Electric?

For those of you unaware of the outrageous synth noodling that lit up Wellington in 1982, The Body Electric were a couple of clever lads (who I think worked for Radio NZ), and some others, using the studios after hours.  'PULSING' was the result.  It sounds fab from a good turntable, beautifully mastered on twelve inch vinyl.  Here's a video.  They later added Wendy Calder (I remember she worked at Chelsea Records in Manners Mall) and others, and they put out an album 'Presentation and Reality.  

3 people like this

10 hours ago, EURO V12 said:

When I bought my house I found a collection of several hundred LPs and 45's in the attic of the Garage.  All bar 30 or 40 were well buggered or of no interest and went on Trademe to be sold by weight.

of those that survived I've only listened to a few, the vast majority I've never heard of, lots of obscure stuff from the 70's and 80's I think, I've only listened to the main stream stuff I've heard of, loads of Bruce Springsteen and some Elton john, Bob Dylan and the like

what else remains?  what's obscure that you've not heard yet?

46 minutes ago, Olaf said:

that's probably worth hundreds to the germans.  they love rare indie, and if it's rare indie from NZ, it's even more attractive and expensive!  

Neal, do you have the Pulsing EP by The Body Electric?

For those of you unaware of the outrageous synth noodling that lit up Wellington in 1982, The Body Electric were a couple of clever lads (who I think worked for Radio NZ), and some others, using the studios after hours.  'PULSING' was the result.  It sounds fab from a good turntable, beautifully mastered on twelve inch vinyl.  Here's a video.  They later added Wendy Calder (I remember she worked at Chelsea Records in Manners Mall) and others, and they put out an album 'Presentation and Reality.  

Was offered $320 pounds for the forest a while back. Still going for half price from what I can see.

Have body electric on 12 inch as well. NZs answer to Devo. There was also another local band "Marginal Error" some people may remember their track " this heaven"  was the background music to "Radio with Pictures "

1 person likes this

Quit a lot of my indie listening has fallen away. Really need to invest in a record bath/ vacuum system and record the stuff digitally fir the back catalogue that can't be brought. However, Still listen to Killing Joke these days. One of the band members lived in NZ so have been hopping they'd get together and run a gig down under. I'm still waiting .......

2 people like this

Keep this thread going guys, I really enjoyed Killing Joke- thanks!

A little older than Olaf's specified period but I do like a bit of Blue Oyster Cult. Some of the stuff they were doing was leading edge at the time.

One of the more obscure 80's indie bands Fad Gadget . The 12 inch version had plenty of stereo panning going on. Laughable music video and very 80's esk

4 hours ago, Neal said:

One of the more obscure 80's indie bands Fad Gadget . The 12 inch version had plenty of stereo panning going on. Laughable music video and very 80's esk

brilliant.  I remember this from the time, never knew who it was.  rad video... tarred and feathered?  must have been some interesting substances in the studio that day.

Though I didn't hear much of them at the time, Magazine are worth a look.  Howard Devoto was perhaps an overlooked genius of the manchester scene.  They do a briilliant cover of Sly and the Family Stone's "Thank You (fahletting me be mice elf again).  Here's 'Song From Under The Floorboards'

If anyone's interested in Magazine, "The Correct Use Of Soap" is the place to start.'

Oh, and this one's brilliant.  Check out the guitars... superb.

Edited by Olaf
the light pours out of me

Magazine eh ,  something I don't have. Herd the first one but never knew the band.

Remember these guys.? One of my favourite bands of the 80s

1 person likes this

there was plenty of great aus bands in that era but most would be too well known to appear on this list

Midnight Oil, Icehouse/Flowers, ACDC, Cold Chisel,

Inxs, The Angels, Hoodoo Gurus, Noiseworks

but maybe these guys 

2 people like this

The ironic thing about the successful bands is how they started.

When you think of simple minds most people think of pop culture tracks like "The breakfast club" I like some of the early tracks where they were a bit raw and not "over produced"     like the church btw.

Edited by Neal

13 minutes ago, Neal said:

The ironic thing about the successful bands is how they started.

When you think of simple minds most people think of pop culture tracks like "The breakfast club" I like some of the early tracks where they were a bit raw and not "over produced"     like the church btw.

Have probably all the simple minds albums but thats getting a bit mainstream for this thread isn't it

I love talking heads early stuff but the band was too mainstream for this thread

these two individual efforts qualify thou

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OVomL94fmfM

1 person likes this

No, Simple Minds are a great example of a band that was truly indie and original that became mainstream.  I have all of their early albums on vinyl, including Sons and Fascinations along with Sister Feelings Call.  Totally brilliant, along with their breakout New Gold Dream (Herbie Hancock appears with a keyboard solo on the track Hunter and the Hunted - aparrently he was recording in a neighbouring studio, dropped, and did it in one take); and then the Steve Lillywhite produced Sparkle in the Rain.  They went anthemic and huge after that with Once Upon a Time, I went to the gig in Wellington Town Hall ('86?) still have the photos somewhere.  Great to see Mel Collins pounding the skins.   

I remember a party where "70 Cities as love brings the fall" was played... a couple of be-suited conservatives were quite indignant, asking "what the bloody hell the band was doing to that cow".  You need to listen to the album. 😀

Links later.

Edited by Olaf
links

I rate gramsci's like stray voltage from the early 2000's, for some reason band seemed to fade away, was a really good album though (particularly turned up to 11)

2 people like this

4 hours ago, Olaf said:

No, Simple Minds are a great example of a band that was truly indie and original that became mainstream.  I have all of their early albums on vinyl, including Sons and Fascinations along with Sister Feelings Call.  Totally brilliant, along with their breakout New Gold Dream (Herbmiester Hancock appears with a keyboard solo), and then the Steve Lillywhite produced Sparkle in the Rain.  They went anthemic and huge after that with Once Upon a Time, I went to the gig in Wellington Town Hall ('86?) still have the photos somewhere.  Great to see Mel Collins pounding the skins.   

I remember a party where "70 Cities as love brings the fall" was played... a couple of be-suited conservatives were quite indignant, asking "what the bloody hell the band was doing to that cow".  You need to listen to the album. 😀

Links later.

Got to see them in 2005 in London. Was on my bucket list and I throughly enjoyed it. Have the albums and most of the 12" long plays. "Up on the catwalk "is a regular play in the car

Great band from my pov . 

1 person likes this

Remember this band anyone ? Quite dark lyrics in the album but always liked the bass lines. 

Edited by Neal
1 person likes this

10 hours ago, Neal said:

Remember this band anyone ? Quite dark lyrics in the album but always liked the bass lines. 

Remember them?!  I saw them live twice!  Sourced the rare Jam Science album (to be fair it was a bit too disco funky for them) that was unavailable down here.  i remember going to a party in Eastbourne back in the 80's where the entire 'Care' album was plyed both sides and nobody batted an eyelid.  B)    'Care' would have to be in my top 20 album list.  Barry Andrews is a great frontman, and Dave Allen is a bass god.  Plenty of earworms on Oil & Gold, many tracks used by neophyte produce Michael Mann on Miami Vice... Oil & Gold being their breakthrough album.  

If those of you reading this can find a copy of 'Care', try 'Brink of collapse'.  Particularly useful if you want to demolish a house or overcome constipation, just apply liberal amounts of volume.  Not suitable for most ported speakers, unless you enjoy the sound of reflex ports chuffing and confused overloaded bass. 

Their later stuff (such as Big Night Music or Go Bang) hasn't aged as well.

Edited by Olaf
spelling