Sign in to follow this  
Olaf

Something about middle-aged blokes indie and alt music thread

I

On ‎3‎/‎08‎/‎2017 at 5:35 PM, Olaf said:

How about a nice bit of Cabaret Voltaire?  I twigged on to this in 1985, doing an install... client had an Associated Radio Special (they sold these by the dozen to discerning punters) - Rega Planar 3 with A&R Cambridge P77 cart, A&R Cambridge A60 Amp, AR18 speakers... playing Microphonies.  What an album!  I headed straight to Chelsea Records after work and bought it.   It's been a longtime fave of mine...

here's a cut:

Have a bit of this. Possibly the birth of industrial / had dance. I still have a mix tape in the days when you'd copy of radio. John Barry's album hour, I think from memory you could hear it on AM on skip in Wellington after dark. Jb would play an album end to end. Anyway, CV comes on and its nothing like I'd heard before. Loops and samples with a real edge. Clever stuff considering the processing power at the time.

Anyway ... could you imagine a concert starting like in this track

• Like 1

Jumping forward in time. Never been into folk alt.folk until I heard this group from Christchurch. As Graham put it earlier, Plenty of talent around sitting under the noise and dross of many current mainstream bands. The Tiny Lies are one of those talented groups that deserve more. Unfortunately I picked up on them after they played in a small hall near by. As to their music / albums, Its superbly engineered with talented musicians. Pete might be tempted by the half speed master vinyl pressing they did on the second album.

Tiny Lies

https://thetinylies.bandcamp.com/track/bag-of-bones

And previous album

https://thetinylies.bandcamp.com/track/i-am-a-ghost

Wonder if the current generation of drake bashing chain smokers will be of the same opinion of current pop music in 30 years time? 

I love alt music, even without vox is fine as long as the intstruments are sounding interesting. Any King Crimson and The Melvins fans?

On 8/10/2017 at 9:58 PM, BreakMyWindow said:

Wonder if the current generation of drake bashing chain smokers will be of the same opinion of current pop music in 30 years time? 

yep they will, all music is generational, the whole point of being a teenager is to find some music your parents don't understand, there are people who think good music stopped with grateful dead, you can't hear the lyrics blah blah

even in the 80s we seem to be focusing on here theres plenty who say 80s big hair rock and new wave was shite and a passing fad and were pleased when grunge took over

funny how nostalgic you can be over your rose tinted youth

watch the defiant ones doc to see how big dre and snoop dog got.you can totally see people going to ed sheehan in 30yrs just like we do james taylor now.

On 26 July 2017 at 9:54 PM, Neal said:

The ironic thing about the successful bands is how they started.

When you think of simple minds most people think of pop culture tracks like "The breakfast club" I like some of the early tracks where they were a bit raw and not "over produced"     like the church btw.

Totally agree, the early stuff is so much better, Love Song is a great track, plus The American and my favourite New Gold Dream.

i don't think they would have been so popular if they stuck with their original name - Johny & The Self-abusers!!

• Like 1

I feel like i have to drop Ois to Men in here as no one else has, sharp end of NZ grass roots punk.

Or Whip me honey by Squirm, I can't decide if the song or the video is more outrageous, 

The singer in that Squirm song is my mates Flatmate... one of those people who have seen, and done, things beyond reckoning and imagination in his lifetime.

Ois To Men is a piss take out of Boyz To Men i take it? Oi was a very short lived evolution of Punk / Skins in the UK, it was hi-jacked by the Far Right and basically came to an end after all the bad publicity when the 4 Skins concert in Southall sparked the Southall Race Riots. After all the negative publicity it was impossible to get anywhere to put an "Oi" gig on due to all the Police / Anti-Nazi League objections. Not all of the Oi bands were right-wing, but they all got tarred with the same brush as the crowds all looked pretty much the same!

If I can find it anywhere I will put up a link for the News that they did on the 4 Skins after the riots, and "Evil" one of their best songs.

On 8/6/2017 at 10:03 AM, E30 325i Rag-Top said:

Talking of crowds, one of the best ever atmoshperes at a gig was The Pogues in Frindsbury Town hall, but it might have been because it was St Paddys Day, Shane McGowan was so drunk he could hardly sing, luckily the crowd knew every single word to every song!!

Saw them in 2005 and agree. Fantastic concert. Whole crowd drinking and not a spot of Agro.

McGowan pissed and waltzing around with Kisrty Macoles niece who sang kirsty's part. He drunkly trips over and lands on top of her. Gets up and laughs and carries on the song fairytale of New York. Was brilliant ?

• Like 1

Punk talk reminds me a bit of the clash. Mate of mine went through a punk phaze when we were teens. Built him a stereo from bits I had lying around. He did the Johny Rotten thing and never got to see his 21st. He gave me a copy of Rock the Casbah on 7 inch which we thrashed on his system. Every time I hear it it gets played with volume. Probably not up to slam dancing these days though.

• Like 1

Can't miss this period without mentioning Yello . Still play the album stella a few rimes a year. Onto my second vinyl copy.

Put a Cerwin Vega IB sub into my 323i E21 in 1986. A mix tape had this track on it. Was great for loosening bumper bolts.

Had Gunship cranking through the fog on SH1 yesterday morning. Retro 80s Synthwave epicness. 

• Like 2

Used Yello to demo the car stereo sometimes. Have about 10 DSP maps which can be recalled via a controller. Some maps are trying to emulate home hifi but I have a couple which allows the amps to exercise their full dynamic capabilities and let the sub go more towards SPL

This track has some great left to right panning and nice bass. Give it volume and smile.

Edited by Neal

Been listening to Kovacs of late, signing style has elements of Shirley Basset , Amy Whitehouse and a bit of Grace Jones....... Grace Jones used to spend plenty of time on the turntable but I digress.

Anyway , Kovacs, sounding like a soundtrack for a bond movie

Listening to this in prep for daughter's trip to go and see her play.

Cover.gif.6ca4e6ca6ce6bdee8747e4ac74595eeb.gif

• Like 1

On 06/03/2018 at 6:37 PM, gjm said:

Listening to this in prep for daughter's trip to go and see her play.

Cover.gif.6ca4e6ca6ce6bdee8747e4ac74595eeb.gif

Saw her at Auckland City Limits two weeks ago. Soooooooooo good. Uber disappointed that I can't get my full license til a couple of days after her NZ concert!

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, E30kid said:

Saw her at Auckland City Limits two weeks ago. Soooooooooo good. Uber disappointed that I can't get my full license til a couple of days after her NZ concert!

Bex thought about going to ACL, but had no interest in the other acts, so she was all over this when she saw Tash was having a gig of her own.

• Like 1

On 12/03/2018 at 5:36 PM, gjm said:

Bex thought about going to ACL, but had no interest in the other acts, so she was all over this when she saw Tash was having a gig of her own.

Yeah I originally went for other acts but got into Tash not long ago then realised she was playing. The gigs at Auckland Town hall too which is great for acoustics and crowd size. Saw alt-J there late last year and it was brilliant.

Edited by E30kid
  • Like 1

Caught a AIr NZ flight last week as was flickering through the NZ music section and came across a new to me band.

Was L.A.B self titled album. So play the first track thinking Pink Floyd / Dave Gilmore type guitar type intro and then the drums hit ....  listened through the Album twice and promptly brought it when back in NZ( hopefully the do another vinyl pressing !)

• Like 1

For the 80s kids, epic.

Edited by Jacko
  • Like 2

Laughing as just found this thread again.

Another fav band from the 80s

• Like 2