Olaf

Olaf and Neal's middle-aged blokes indie and alt music thread

49 posts in this topic

On 7/26/2017 at 9:42 PM, kwhelan said:

there was plenty of great aus bands in that era but most would be too well known to appear on this list

Midnight Oil, Icehouse/Flowers, ACDC, Cold Chisel,

Inxs, The Angels, Hoodoo Gurus, Noiseworks

but maybe these guys 

Indeed, in the UK when discussing Australian music they (Australian bands) are usually filed under "Pub Rock", which is - on the whole - hard to argue with!  Notable exceptions include The Church, The Birthday Party, The Go-Betweens, Dead Can Dance.

Edited by Olaf
grammar

Don't know too much about the old NZ indie stuff, due to my UK based heritage. Listened to and watched lots of alt / indie stuff during my youth from post-punk and new wave onwards. 

From The Jam through Joy Division into New Order and Happy Mondays via James, Inspiral Carpets, Stone Roses and The Wedding Present. Plus a thousand other bands through uni (changing every day or so who was "in" and who was "out").

Now I listen to all sorts of "old" stuff and hardly any recent music.

Can't miss Half Man Half Biscuit off the list, still crazy after all these years - literally!

Jon, I missed the HMHB thing, though a friend of mine back in Blighty introduced me to them.    What's not to love about the whole Madchester thing, the Factory crew, all the bands who played at The Hacienda, etc.   I absolutely love The Stone Roses debut, and have the album on 45 RPM pressings, as well as I wanna be adored and Fools Gold 12" singles picked up in when I was in UK.

Here's an NZ band worthy of mention - though most of my brit mates thought it was a bit thrashy when I played them the CD EP that I imported with me in '98...

EDIT:  I'd forgotten this one... never seen the vidjo before...

Edited by Olaf
2 people like this

How about a nice bit of Cabaret Voltaire?  I twigged on to this in 1985, doing an install... client had an Associated Radio Special (they sold these by the dozen to discerning punters) - Rega Planar 3 with A&R Cambridge P77 cart, A&R Cambridge A60 Amp, AR18 speakers... playing Microphonies.  What an album!  I headed straight to Chelsea Records after work and bought it.   It's been a longtime fave of mine...

here's a cut:

This cool story popped up in stuff today

The Cure visit to Wellington: "They felt the love - they could be themselves and not be mobbed.''
http://www.stuff.co.nz/entertainment/music/95297507/Flashback-Fascination-St-The-Cure-jam-and-party-with-Wellingtons-post-punks?cid=app-iPhone

1 person likes this

I nearly went to their Wellington show in 1981, I was in High School and recall considering my record budget against live gigs when I was permitted to go**.   I do remember the Neoteric Tribesmen, though.  ISTR seeing a gig they played.  I didn't see The Cure until '93 at the Wellington Town Hall.  

** I turned down Ultravox, instead seeing DEVO at the Wellington Town Hall.  Split Enz Time & Tide tour was amazing.  Still regret not seeing B52's (late '80, I think?) at the Show Buildings... or The Clash (Joe Strummer went AWOL after the Wellington gig, I think that was '81 also?  They recorded great promos for Radio Active.  Wonder if they still exist?

Well, that all makes me feel young, I was born in 84, 

1 person likes this

2 hours ago, EURO V12 said:

Well, that all makes me feel young, I was born in 84, 

I'm from the previous decade to you and these folks have me feeling young too. ;)

1 person likes this

7 hours ago, Gabe79 said:

I'm from the previous decade to you and these folks have me feeling young too. ;)

Just listen to the music.  you might recognise stuff you heard in your youth! :)

1 hour ago, Olaf said:

Just listen to the music.  you might hear some good stuff:)

Fixed that for you.. Mainstream / pop music these days is just noise to me, back in the day even the popular stuff had meaning, a point and was well crafted and played music. Stock, Aitken and Waterman ruined all that in the late 80s unfortunately when any talentless dick with the "right look" could become a "star".

I never got into the Cure, only came across them late on when they started going all happy and mainstream, their earlier stuff is worth a listen though.

The Damned though, now there was a band.. I was very fortunate to see the full original line-up reform for a gig and go through the back catalogue. Shame the crowd was mostly uni art students. i would almost argue that "New Rose" was the first punk tune - before The Pistols.

Talking of crowds, one of the best ever atmoshperes at a gig was The Pogues in Frindsbury Town hall, but it might have been because it was St Paddys Day, Shane McGowan was so drunk he could hardly sing, luckily the crowd knew every single word to every song!!

Festivals used to be good for seeing lots of diverse bands, but usually you never got the same sort of experience as most of the crowd were not "big" fans of the bands but there to listen and chill. Biggest exception to that had to be Reading in '88 (or was it '89) when Half Man Half Biscuit reformed after about six years and were scheduled to play the Melody Maker Tent (a big marquee for those who don't know..) late afternoon / early evening. There were hundreds of people waiting to get in before the previous band had finshed, as soon as they were off, everyone poured in and it was rammed. As it was a good weather year for Reading it was absolutely steaming (literally) inside a tent with no air conditioning before the set even started!

The band were brilliant and ripped through a high energy set list almost without a pause, to a bouncing, heaving, total mosh-pit of a crowd. A totally surreal moment when a guy emerged through the crowd to offer up a 6ft tall pot-plant to Nigel during the middle of "I hate Nerys Hughes". Only downside was nealy losing my boy parts on the poles holding up the roof of the tent during a particulally strong and sustained surge in the crowd.

A level of energy, and noise, and euphoria harldy ever matched for the rest of my life.

Not at all alt or whatever, but we're going to see French for Rabbits at the Nivara Lounge in Hamilton on August 25th.

Don't get to see too many live performances these days, but still love music. All sorts of music.

Used to see one or another local group probably at least once a week, and saw some big names in very small venues. Iron Maiden playing pre-tour as 'The Nodding Donkeys' at the Oval Rock House (audience of about 50, and then roadied for them at Donington), and Status Quo at a little club on Guernsey where they played to about 30 people, inviting audience members to join them on stage, and generally having a good time.

Saw lots of other big names while in the UK, was in Berlin for the Pink Floyd 'Wall' concert (incredible, phenomenal, amazing!), and Paris for Jean-Michel Jarre and his laser show.

Also saw many much smaller yet incredibly talented groups and artists, most of whom sadly never quite made it. When I see the utter crap spouted and touted as music over the last 10 years, I have to wonder how that can be changed. One girl was so amazing that she by turn reduced almost an entire audience to tears, and had them laughing and dancing. How she got so much emotion into her singing I have no idea - as a listener you truly lived the songs with her. I don't think she ever recorded anything.

Moving to NZ has been an experience. I get to start learning about groups all over again. :)

6 hours ago, Olaf said:

Just listen to the music.  you might recognise stuff you heard in your youth! :)

I didn't start listening to music in English (That I could understand, at any rate...) until ~1990. :)

1 person likes this

2 hours ago, Gabe79 said:

I didn't start listening to music in English (That I could understand, at any rate...) until ~1990. :)

nirvana!

I

On ‎3‎/‎08‎/‎2017 at 5:35 PM, Olaf said:

How about a nice bit of Cabaret Voltaire?  I twigged on to this in 1985, doing an install... client had an Associated Radio Special (they sold these by the dozen to discerning punters) - Rega Planar 3 with A&R Cambridge P77 cart, A&R Cambridge A60 Amp, AR18 speakers... playing Microphonies.  What an album!  I headed straight to Chelsea Records after work and bought it.   It's been a longtime fave of mine...

here's a cut:

Have a bit of this. Possibly the birth of industrial / had dance. I still have a mix tape in the days when you'd copy of radio. John Barry's album hour, I think from memory you could hear it on AM on skip in Wellington after dark. Jb would play an album end to end. Anyway, CV comes on and its nothing like I'd heard before. Loops and samples with a real edge. Clever stuff considering the processing power at the time.

Anyway ... could you imagine a concert starting like in this track

1 person likes this

Jumping forward in time. Never been into folk alt.folk until I heard this group from Christchurch. As Graham put it earlier, Plenty of talent around sitting under the noise and dross of many current mainstream bands. The Tiny Lies are one of those talented groups that deserve more. Unfortunately I picked up on them after they played in a small hall near by. As to their music / albums, Its superbly engineered with talented musicians. Pete might be tempted by the half speed master vinyl pressing they did on the second album.

Tiny Lies

https://thetinylies.bandcamp.com/track/bag-of-bones

And previous album

https://thetinylies.bandcamp.com/track/i-am-a-ghost

Wonder if the current generation of drake bashing chain smokers will be of the same opinion of current pop music in 30 years time? 

I love alt music, even without vox is fine as long as the intstruments are sounding interesting. Any King Crimson and The Melvins fans?

I saw King Crimson live on the Thrak tour in Mexico City.  What amazed me was the number of punters outside wearing King Crimson Tour T-shirts that went back up to 20 years!  It was superb.  I'd like to get another copy of Beat.

Everyone loves the music of their youth.  However, there's stuff I loved back then that hasn't really stood the test of time.  The exceptions are Oscar Peterson, Miles Davis, Herbie Hancock, Hubert Laws, Count Basie... I was switched on to jazz by my Dad, and it's always been there while musical fads have come and gone.

no point in putting a youtube link to the cuts from Headhunters, they sound totally shite, muddled, funk-less, dead.  If you're at all interested, get a decent copy of it - it's a classic fusion album, polyryhmic beats, funk, and hell it's got a track called 'brain melter' - what else do you need?!  Get it!

On 8/10/2017 at 9:58 PM, BreakMyWindow said:

Wonder if the current generation of drake bashing chain smokers will be of the same opinion of current pop music in 30 years time? 

yep they will, all music is generational, the whole point of being a teenager is to find some music your parents don't understand, there are people who think good music stopped with grateful dead, you can't hear the lyrics blah blah

even in the 80s we seem to be focusing on here theres plenty who say 80s big hair rock and new wave was shite and a passing fad and were pleased when grunge took over

funny how nostalgic you can be over your rose tinted youth

watch the defiant ones doc to see how big dre and snoop dog got.you can totally see people going to ed sheehan in 30yrs just like we do james taylor now.

On 26 July 2017 at 9:54 PM, Neal said:

The ironic thing about the successful bands is how they started.

When you think of simple minds most people think of pop culture tracks like "The breakfast club" I like some of the early tracks where they were a bit raw and not "over produced"     like the church btw.

Totally agree, the early stuff is so much better, Love Song is a great track, plus The American and my favourite New Gold Dream.

i don't think they would have been so popular if they stuck with their original name - Johny & The Self-abusers!!

1 person likes this

I feel like i have to drop Ois to Men in here as no one else has, sharp end of NZ grass roots punk.

Or Whip me honey by Squirm, I can't decide if the song or the video is more outrageous, 

The singer in that Squirm song is my mates Flatmate... one of those people who have seen, and done, things beyond reckoning and imagination in his lifetime.

Ois To Men is a piss take out of Boyz To Men i take it? Oi was a very short lived evolution of Punk / Skins in the UK, it was hi-jacked by the Far Right and basically came to an end after all the bad publicity when the 4 Skins concert in Southall sparked the Southall Race Riots. After all the negative publicity it was impossible to get anywhere to put an "Oi" gig on due to all the Police / Anti-Nazi League objections. Not all of the Oi bands were right-wing, but they all got tarred with the same brush as the crowds all looked pretty much the same!

If I can find it anywhere I will put up a link for the News that they did on the 4 Skins after the riots, and "Evil" one of their best songs.

On 8/6/2017 at 10:03 AM, E30 325i Rag-Top said:

Talking of crowds, one of the best ever atmoshperes at a gig was The Pogues in Frindsbury Town hall, but it might have been because it was St Paddys Day, Shane McGowan was so drunk he could hardly sing, luckily the crowd knew every single word to every song!!

Saw them in 2005 and agree. Fantastic concert. Whole crowd drinking and not a spot of Agro.

McGowan pissed and waltzing around with Kisrty Macoles niece who sang kirsty's part. He drunkly trips over and lands on top of her. Gets up and laughs and carries on the song fairytale of New York. Was brilliant 😀

Punk talk reminds me a bit of the clash. Mate of mine went through a punk phaze when we were teens. Built him a stereo from bits I had lying around. He did the Johny Rotten thing and never got to see his 21st. He gave me a copy of Rock the Casbah on 7 inch which we thrashed on his system. Every time I hear it it gets played with volume. Probably not up to slam dancing these days though.

1 person likes this