Olaf

Olaf and Neal's middle-aged blokes indie and alt music thread

yep, Yello.  I started with 'You gotta say yes to another excess', after seeing a cut (I Love You) on RWP one sunday night.  

Went through to One Second; I thought they'd lost too much of their weirdness by the time they reached Baby (I have it on CD somewhere, can't have played it for a couple of decades).

For those not familiar with Yello's weirdness, try this:

They are guilty of less than subtle song titles, such as "Pumping Velvet" or "Si Señor the Hairy Grill"... 

Last October I was in Nelson with my Son.  Picked up a Yello CD compilation for the car, and introduced my Son to it.  He liked it!   Well, he wasn't as captivated by The Rythmn Devine... hell, Yello 'rediscovered' Shirley Bassey a full eleven years before Propellorheads!

Still a stunning soundscape - particularly in a car!

And by way of segue:

Speaking of resurgent 80's music, was impressed the other day whilst waiting for my kids after school, one of their peers wearing a Remain in Light T-shirt.  Still in my top ten favourite albums :)

• Like 1

Had Gunship cranking through the fog on SH1 yesterday morning. Retro 80s Synthwave epicness. 

• Like 1

Used Yello to demo the car stereo sometimes. Have about 10 DSP maps which can be recalled via a controller. Some maps are trying to emulate home hifi but I have a couple which allows the amps to exercise their full dynamic capabilities and let the sub go more towards SPL

This track has some great left to right panning and nice bass. Give it volume and smile.

Edited by Neal

Been listening to Kovacs of late, signing style has elements of Shirley Basset , Amy Whitehouse and a bit of Grace Jones....... Grace Jones used to spend plenty of time on the turntable but I digress.

Anyway , Kovacs, sounding like a soundtrack for a bond movie

here's a little ditty that falls into the fringes of Indie, from the league of humans before they went pop-tastic:

Edited by Olaf

Listening to this in prep for daughter's trip to go and see her play.

Cover.gif.6ca4e6ca6ce6bdee8747e4ac74595eeb.gif

• Like 1

On 06/03/2018 at 6:37 PM, gjm said:

Listening to this in prep for daughter's trip to go and see her play.

Cover.gif.6ca4e6ca6ce6bdee8747e4ac74595eeb.gif

Saw her at Auckland City Limits two weeks ago. Soooooooooo good. Uber disappointed that I can't get my full license til a couple of days after her NZ concert!

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, E30kid said:

Saw her at Auckland City Limits two weeks ago. Soooooooooo good. Uber disappointed that I can't get my full license til a couple of days after her NZ concert!

Bex thought about going to ACL, but had no interest in the other acts, so she was all over this when she saw Tash was having a gig of her own.

• Like 1

On 12/03/2018 at 5:36 PM, gjm said:

Bex thought about going to ACL, but had no interest in the other acts, so she was all over this when she saw Tash was having a gig of her own.

Yeah I originally went for other acts but got into Tash not long ago then realised she was playing. The gigs at Auckland Town hall too which is great for acoustics and crowd size. Saw alt-J there late last year and it was brilliant.

Edited by E30kid
  • Like 1

Caught a AIr NZ flight last week as was flickering through the NZ music section and came across a new to me band.

Was L.A.B self titled album. So play the first track thinking Pink Floyd / Dave Gilmore type guitar type intro and then the drums hit ....  listened through the Album twice and promptly brought it when back in NZ( hopefully the do another vinyl pressing !)

• Like 1