Sign in to follow this  
dwnz

E46 Fan removal tool

Hey,

Have a feeling my E46 325i has a slightly leaky water pump... Have a tiny amount of coolant "spray" off the belts/fan and the pump pulley itself is stained with coolant... Sigh.

Wondering if anyone has any tips to getting the fan clutch out with a standard spanner? Or if anyone in Wellington has removal tools I could borrow for a box of beers?

Cheers,

Dan

This has been mentioned a number of times google is your friend. The only thing to remember is that the connection between fan and pump is. It is left hand thread have removed these myself with the correct size spanner and a rubber mallet. With the spanner fitted securely and at an angle to give room for the spanner to move with out braking anything give the spanner a good whack. Once loose undo the nut a few turns then remove the rivets holding the fan shroud on. Now remove the fan from the water pump and holding onto it and the shroud lift both out.

Edited by allan
  • Like 1

You need a 32 mm spanner and a heavy mallet.  Where are you in Wellington.  

@allan Cheers for that - was under the impression that you needed the correct tool to hold it.

@FIAT 131R have just ordered a spanner, will hunt down a mallet. Whole cooling system was replaced ~30,000kms ago, so hopefully it's not too stuck together. Up in Broadmeadows 

I am in Ngauranga and have a 32 mm spanner and mallet

@FIAT 131R Oh true, that's pretty close by! Would it be at all possible to borrow it for a day or two 'till mine arrives? Hopefully get in quicker and order whatever needs replacing. More than happy to pickup/dropoff

This method rely's on the shock you create when you hit the spanner to loosen the nut. As in your case if it has been removed not to long ago it should come off with out to much trouble but it is a BMW . Just remember it is a left hand thread.

• Like 2

Have a look on line and you will find the tools ( 32mm spanner and holding tool ) are available for about $35 USD  they are best tools ever I used to struggle all the time with the ground down 32mm spanner and a mallet but with the tools it takes me about a minute to undo the left hand thread.

Good luck.

• Like 1

@allan Fingers crossed... So far I've learnt that nothing quite goes to plan when fixing the BMW :) Process doesn't seem too dissimilar to my old Hilux's fan clutch though

@mspec Purchased a "32mm clutch fan tool" last night - just waiting for it to ship/arrive. Will see how I go without the holding tool... But might need to hunt one down - assuming this won't be the only time I have to take the fan off... 

4 minutes ago, dwnz said:

@allan Fingers crossed... So far I've learnt that nothing quite goes to plan when fixing the BMW :) Process doesn't seem too dissimilar to my old Hilux's fan clutch though

@mspec Purchased a "32mm clutch fan tool" last night - just waiting for it to ship/arrive. Will see how I go without the holding tool... But might need to hunt one down - assuming this won't be the only time I have to take the fan off... 

These are the ones I brought and have found them to be priceless as they are Chrome plated so are strong check the link out?

https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/bmw-fan-clutch-wrench-set-cta-tools-a886

• Like 1

I have the tools and you're welcome to borrow them for cost of shipping to/from you.

• Like 2

Thanks heaps for the offers everyone, really appreciate it! My spanner arrived today, was simple enough to bang the nut loose with a hammer (phew).

It's looking like my lower radiator hose is knackered, collapses in on itself when car cools down and has a leak... Fingers crossed that's all it is :)

IMG_4659.jpg