Sign in to follow this  
Herbmiester

Suspension update for the 335i

I have just ordered some more parts for the 335i. The goal was to get springs with a firmer rate than the stock sport springs and as I have Koni yellows I should be able to match the damping to the spring rate. The springs I went with in the end are made by Tein. I could have gone with H&R sport or Eibach pro's but they have the same rate as the sport springs but with a lower ride height, the Tein's are about 8% stiffer than m3 springs so it's a noticeable increase. Reports are that with good dampers the stiffness is quite liveable. I didn't want to drop the car much lower than it is already and the Tein's would have done that so I was going to bypass them until I did a bit of research and found a way to add some ride height back. At the front I will swap in E30 spring perches and thicker 9mm spring perch pads. this will give me up to 19mm more ride height and overall should be 5-10mm lower than the current sport height, which will be about spot on. It should theoretically give me a little more shock travel as well. At the rear 10mm e30 upper spring pads will keep the rear drop in check. I dont mind a low car but I like to be able to get up driveways, get over speed humps and not smack into gutters all the time so a small decrease was acceptable but I just didn't want the slammed and tucked look. Plus I want the car to handle. 

As I have been mulling over how to get to this solution I thought I would share this information in case anyone else wants a stiffer setup that maintains a useable ride height. 

These parts will go in when I do the M3 front arms and hopefully a bigger rear sway bar. 

Edited by Herbmiester
  • Like 2

I just picked up the 4 m3 front arms (TRW, with the //M logo ground off) on amazon for ~$200us, awesome deal.

Edited by Jacko

4 hours ago, Jacko said:

I just picked up the 4 m3 front arms (TRW, with the //M logo ground off) on amazon for ~$200us, awesome deal.

Yes great deal.

On 7/29/2017 at 11:09 AM, Jacko said:

Woah, that still available?

You guys inspired me and I have just ordered the rear M3 arms from Amazon. It worked out about $100NZD cheaper than FCP Euro. Happy Days. 

JTC1428

JTC1429

JTC1430

JTC1431

And you need the ABS clips which are cheaper at FCP Euro by $5 each. 

BMW-34522283017
  • Like 1

The rears are also very cheap. Search these to find them:
JTC1430
JTC1431
JTC1428
JTC1429
Not sure they're as worthwhile though. 

Oh doh Herbmiester pointed this out already. 

Edited by Matth5

Very good deal :D I got the LCAs few days ago, wish bones seem to be taking longer to arrive. Other than the M being ground off they appear to legit and not "seconds"

Sorry for the hijack 

While trying to make my mind up on this, I came across this interesting write up on the M3 rear suspension, this guy has actually measured the bushing stiffness and tested what it takes to bend the arms

http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1079383

Doesn't sound like M3 rear arms provide much benefit.

9 hours ago, Matth5 said:

While trying to make my mind up on this, I came across this interesting write up on the M3 rear suspension, this guy has actually measured the bushing stiffness and tested what it takes to bend the arms

http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1079383

Doesn't sound like M3 rear arms provide much benefit.

Very interesting read. The softening of the rear suspension slightly probably suits my new setup as the Tein rear springs are quite a bit stiffer than the stock sport springs. I was worried about this so it looks like an unintended win on that front.

Very interesting read, has convinced me to just upgrade the front arms and continue with my plan to upgrade the rear swaybar instead

Similar write-up from the same guy on the front suspension

http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1094111

So front is more worthwhile. But I think some people exaggerate how worthwhile, probably because they're comparing against arms that had worn bushings. My steering is still perfectly sharp with no slop at all, I think my bushings are are still perfect, last owner must have driven like an old lady...
Based on that and the fact I'm dropping thousands of dollars into my car currently (turbo upgrade and some other bits), I'm thinking I'll hold off on this. Will wait until I've worn out my stock arms or maybe I'll feel the need for this once I get used to the other upgrades.

Will be interested to hear impressions from you guys though :)

On 25/07/2017 at 10:15 PM, Herbmiester said:

These parts will go in when I do the M3 front arms and hopefully a bigger rear sway bar. 

FYI I read that a bigger rear sway bar wont make much difference without a lsd and stiffer bushings. 

I did the front M3 control arms and it made the steering feel slightly stiffer but not night and day difference. My fcab were shot so made sense to change them but its not much of an upgrade really.

7 minutes ago, jin108 said:

FYI I read that a bigger rear sway bar wont make much difference without a lsd and stiffer bushings. 

I did the front M3 control arms and it made the steering feel slightly stiffer but not night and day difference. My fcab were shot so made sense to change them but its not much of an upgrade really.

Most of those reviews tend to be from people who autocross their cars, outside wheel tends to lift on extremely tight turns with the upgraded bar. Don't think its gonna be an issue for me, for now anyway. I'm also currently pricing up a Quaife lsd exchange diff from Birds in the UK so will see how that pans out

Edited by navin117
  • Like 1

Will thicker spring pads add in 'slop'?

I'm considering putting in thicker springpads to soften my rear springs.

11 hours ago, zero said:

Will thicker spring pads add in 'slop'?

I'm considering putting in thicker springpads to soften my rear springs.

No because they are part of the spring. Slop will come from the bushes etc.