Sign in to follow this  
*Glenn*

Interesting reading

Wow.

I'm going to dig through stuff that I did at school - 30 years ago - where I wrote something similar, citing a 75-100 year timeline. Perhaps I was even more visionary as I was relating how electricity from solar would become prevalent, although I was discussing possibilities for hydrogen-powered cars as well as electric ones.

Interesting in deed the only constant in life I have found is change and it comes in many forms as shown in the article. Unless i missed it the only thing it did not touch on was. Humans and how we are eating up the resources of this planet plus reproducing at an alarming rate placing even more pressure on this planets limited resources.

I don't buy it. Sure things are changing, but I'm still waiting for the flying cars my old man was promised

Alan- as a German the author of the article will not go there. In the western world we have a couple of children per family and birthrates are falling- can you see any German willing to put his head over the parapet and demand brown and yellow people have less children?

A litle boy playing with his toys in Korea could make some changes on the population side of things shortly, along with his mad mate Trump

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Young Thrash Driver said:

I don't buy it. Sure things are changing, but I'm still waiting for the flying cars my old man was promised

Lilium.

Yes given that both these boys have the toys a population adjustment could happen. Only trouble is if it's nuclear then the fall out literally could be far worse. Other factions present in the world are just as dangerous I feel as these two clowns but not so widely presented that in it's self is the problem. Their lies the problem doesn't matter whether you are white black brown yellow pink with purple spots this complex environment called Earth  can only support so much. Mankind as a whole needs to look very hard at what he has done and is doing for in the last 150 yrs he has done more damage than mother nature had in the last 5 million . Even with the rapid changes in technology the author mentions does it even come close to helping change or slowing down the damage done.

Edited by allan

7 minutes ago, allan said:

That in it's self is the problem. Doesn't matter whether you are white black brown yellow pink with purple spots this complex environment called Earth  can only support so much. Mankind as a whole needs to look very hard at what he has done and is doing for in the last 150 yrs man kind has done more damage than mother nature had in the last 5 million . Even with the rapid changes in technology the author mentions does it even come close to changing or slowing down the damage done.

This is true.

And sadder still are those who, because they believe (something like) climate change is a hoax, advocate continuing down the path of assured destruction that we've been following.

I've worked in the tech and IT industry for a little while now. There is significant potential for automation. Good example is how in the larger financial services markets analysts used to spend hours poring over reports, now they feed it to the AI and it spits out a summary for them to then do the higher level tasks with. There are a whole lot of little 'operational efficiency' plays there. 

Not everything that people believe is the next big thing will eventuate and some will take longer to get there if at all. 

I think we forget how quickly things change, imagine telling someone from 50-60 years ago that: 

- You can get on a plane tomorrow and fly to the other side of the world in just over a day 

- Their volume of encyclopaedias which are out of date each year can be accessed on a small hand-held device 

- The average family owns more than one television, it's in colour, doesn't need to warmup, can hang on the wall and there are limitless numbers of channels

- You can video call 

- You don't need film for your camera

- Barcodes 

- I can change currency and pay anyone on the planet instantly 

- Telegrams are now free (email) 

- Overseas phone calls are free (Skype)

Stuff that once was amazing becomes normal and we forget just how amazing it all is. 

7 minutes ago, NZ BMW said:

I've worked in the tech and IT industry for a little while now. There is significant potential for automation. Good example is how in the larger financial services markets analysts used to spend hours poring over reports, now they feed it to the AI and it spits out a summary for them to then do the higher level tasks with. There are a whole lot of little 'operational efficiency' plays there. 

Not everything that people believe is the next big thing will eventuate and some will take longer to get there if at all. 

I think we forget how quickly things change, imagine telling someone from 50-60 years ago that: 

- You can get on a plane tomorrow and fly to the other side of the world in just over a day 

- Their volume of encyclopaedias which are out of date each year can be accessed on a small hand-held device 

- The average family owns more than one television, it's in colour, doesn't need to warmup, can hang on the wall and there are limitless numbers of channels

- You can video call 

- You don't need film for your camera

- Barcodes 

- I can change currency and pay anyone on the planet instantly 

- Telegrams are now free (email) 

- Overseas phone calls are free (Skype)

Stuff that once was amazing becomes normal and we forget just how amazing it all is. 

At the same time that I miss shooting 35mm slides, I really enjoy that my phone today is about as good as (and arguably much better than, since I carry it everywhere...) my old SLR.

What area of IT? I'm in a niche area and even here, the change is astounding. The way computers work today is changing and automation really is about as dramatic as that article makes it out to be, or even worse, in some areas. The sysadmins of old will fare no better than the lawyers of that article.

7 hours ago, *Glenn* said:

A litle boy playing with his toys in Korea could make some changes on the population side of things shortly, along with his mad mate Trump

was reading the other day that the bigger (totally ignored in media issue) is the growing friction between India and china, both nuclear over their shared border and the whole nepal region

3 hours ago, gjm said:

And sadder still are those who, because they believe (something like) climate change is a hoax, advocate continuing down the path of assured destruction that we've been following.

A lot of this is misrepresented. I think most believe in climate change, its hardly deniable but disagree that its all because of humans and we all must pay carbon taxes etc. That is taking a natural occurrence and using it to profit.

the world has had 4 ice ages already, any large solar flares or heating could alter the earth faster than any humans. I read that if you stretch both arms out to represent the time the earth has existed, the length of one hand represents the dinosaur period and if you trimmed your fingernails you would wipe out human existence 

therefore on a 5-6 ft scale humans rate about 3mm. logic would suggest we aren't that important

Not saying we shouldn't recycle and clean our oceans etc use clean fuels but technology will help

watch elon musks talk on youtube about inhabiting mars, what an amazing brain

• Like 1