Sign in to follow this  
kiwiland

Maxxis

Anyone got any experience or comments on running Maxxis  MA-P3 tyres on an E39

Not on a E39...but I have had a great run out of them on the Xtrail and will go with them again. The Motorhome has 5 new ones on it now too.

I'm running 225 / 55 / 18 on the Xtrail

Edited by *Glenn*

@3pedals Assuming he's choosing the Maxxis over wingchun/toyo/ china specials, and price rather than performance is guiding his decision (or maybe there isn't a great range of tyres in Whangaparoa) , what would you recommend for MA-P3 money as an alternative?  Presumably 225/55R16, and I'm guessing an RRP of $150-160 ea?

Tyres are just black tubes on your wheels. If the air stays in the bottom they're all good to go...so long as there's tread on them and your only doing 80k

• Like 1

18 hours ago, 3pedals said:

@euroV12 - an AT hop card

Nothing like a set of considered well thought out replies.

• Like 3

I think the consensus is, if your spending less than $150/tyre, your buying trash, fine for the commute but not for thrashing, and quality is probably compatible dollar for dollar, some variance no doubt in the $150-$300/tyre range, and over $300 quality becomes excellent with all manufacturers.

One website that provides a sh*t load of tyre comparisons based on test they've done with same car/driver/track is TireRack.com, not all of them available in NZ, and alas, no maxxis...

Edited by EURO V12

That is a valid point, 225/45R17 are what i was running on my E36 318iS, just barely enough rubber to stay safe when embarking on shenanigans, significantly lighter and lower power steed than yours.

21 hours ago, 3pedals said:

Here you go from Hyper Burglars - Sam Samoa  will do a better deal for sure

Primacy.PNG

I'm most drawn to this advert because of the 'Superior' badge.

Like 'Executive' on the holdens of the 80's and 90's, it's that snob-appeal that makes me chuckle.  #8 )

Primacy 3 is a touring tyre, I would have thought there were better choices.

I have these Primacy's on the back of the E38 and have been pretty impressed, they are a touring tyre but having been giving great levels of dry grip, heavy rain a bit squirrelly but overall very quiet also and solid performers

I'm using Hankooks as a budget tyre. They're generally pretty good, just not typically in the same league as good premium brands.

For a 225/55r16 99V you can get the Ventus V2 (H457) for well under $200 a corner.