Sign in to follow this  
Gabe79

"Remember Me" not working, and can we please have https?

The "remember me" feature seems to have broken in the last 24/48 hours or so. Is it just me?

Also, could we get this site in https? One can get free certs from Let's Encrypt.

• Like 1

Remember me works for me but only for 2 (?) devices... once I use the third (I think) the oldest one is forgotten. That's annoying.

I agree on HTTPS, should be the default for any web site.

I too have had problems and requested help but there appears that no admin that can help with this problem has been present here for at least 10 days. Maybe the ship is sinking ?

Edited by *Glenn*

1 hour ago, *Glenn* said:

I too have had problems and requested help but there appears that no admin that can help with this problem has been present here for at least 10 days. Maybe the ship is sinking ?

If there is any admin around and the issue is lack of technical knowledge, I'd be happy to help. I have experience with linux system administration, web servers/php/apache/forum administration, etc... If we're just missing admins all around... :)

Edited by Gabe79

I've had the being forgotten issue in the last couple of days, but I use a phone, a laptop, and a work computer.
Not sure it is device specific - it may be related to source IP address. (I've seen that before.)

1 minute ago, gjm said:

I've had the being forgotten issue in the last couple of days, but I use a phone, a laptop, and a work computer.
Not sure it is device specific - it may be related to source IP address. (I've seen that before.)

It could be max logins per IP, I suppose, but my phone is on 4G and not related to my home IP/devices and it still loses the authentication token.

11 minutes ago, Gabe79 said:

It could be max logins per IP, I suppose, but my phone is on 4G and not related to my home IP/devices and it still loses the authentication token.

I was thinking in terms of number of IP addresses associated with a login.

Of course, if you only use a single device and still have the issue, then that's less likely to be the cause.

I'm active on another forum using the same software.

The 'remember me' issue has also occurred there.

Sounds like a software issue.

13 minutes ago, gjm said:

I'm active on another forum using the same software.

The 'remember me' issue has also occurred there.

Sounds like a software issue.

This software has had some bugs (and features!) around this issue before. I wouldn't be surprised. :)

It's always obnoxious to manage forum software. You want to stay up to date because of security issues, but you end up with as many bugs as fixes sometimes. :)

This seems resolved now. 

Was anything actively done, or do we just have auto-updates enabled and it was a forum bug?

I'd still love to see this site in https and am happy to volunteer to help set it up.