Sign in to follow this  
Rwangnz

M135i lifter noise?

Finally I bought an 2013 m135i. She drives beautifully but I started noticing tapping noise at idle. Is that normal? Is there anyway of getting rid of that noise? 

She is a jap import and done 60km

Is it possible the dealer used rubbish oil in it? The service was done 3000km ago, should I change the oil so I know what's in it? 

Another strange thing I picked up. The dash displays when starting the car "service due 19000km" but after me driving it for 1000km, now it says "service due 20000km" very strange. 

shouldn't this figure reduce?  Very puzzled. 

Hope you experienced BMW fellow members can give me some pointers. 

Edited by Rwangnz

Could be a number of things, does the frequency of the tapping increase with the revs? Direct injection injectors tend to be a little noisy if you're not used to it. Could also be the famous wastegate rattle 

• Like 1

Yeah, I was going to suggest maybe it was the direct injection, much noisier - almost diesel like in sound.

Not sure about wastegate rattle, M135i would be F20 not E82 and I think that's a different turbo configuration?

service interval is "condition" based, not purely Kms travelled, so lots of short cold trips and it drops much quicker. Long trips of hot running could work the other way, if it was shorter trips before you bought it.

2 hours ago, deane30 said:

Which one did you buy? I'm also looking.

I got the blue one in Christchurch. As I do not see many nz New with adaptive suspension. I have driven a few and found the m suspension a little too firm for me during commuting. 

7 hours ago, navin117 said:

Could be a number of things, does the frequency of the tapping increase with the revs? Direct injection injectors tend to be a little noisy if you're not used to it. Could also be the famous wastegate rattle 

I don't really hear it in the car. But while idleing the ticking noise is up and down, if you know what I mean. Doesn't stay at the same ticking volume. 

2 hours ago, E30 325i Rag-Top said:

Yeah, I was going to suggest maybe it was the direct injection, much noisier - almost diesel like in sound.

Not sure about wastegate rattle, M135i would be F20 not E82 and I think that's a different turbo configuration?

service interval is "condition" based, not purely Kms travelled, so lots of short cold trips and it drops much quicker. Long trips of hot running could work the other way, if it was shorter trips before you bought it.

It was used on short trips for about 1500km before I bought it I'll say. So I was thinking maybe worth while chucking in some decent Castrol? 

Was it the dealer you bought it from that did (or organised) the service? Ask them what they used, and if you're not 100% satisfied, then yes, put some decent oil in it. It won't be cheap but worth it for peace of mind and better long term reliability.

• Like 1

I have a 335i N54,i have had it about 5 years. Especially when cold I would say yeah it a noisey engine and similar to diesel. But it goes hard so I suck it up and ignore

• Like 2

On 7/31/2017 at 8:07 AM, mattone74 said:

I have a 335i N54,i have had it about 5 years. Especially when cold I would say yeah it a noisey engine and similar to diesel. But it goes hard so I suck it up and ignore

You have downpipes... you could use MHD to disable the cold start sequence which will help with the loud cold start. Main purpose of the cold start sequence is to heat the cats. 
Maybe you've done that, just worth a mention in case you weren't aware. 

Edited by Matth5

Yep already use the cold start noise reduction purely to avoid waking up my toddler early in the morning.

I'm not sure how much different the N55 is, but the N54 is definitely a noisy beast. I was running mine for a while without the engine cover, and mate, it suddenly became apparent why there is so much sound deadening in that engine cover. Mostly the direct injectors I think.