Sign in to follow this  
Deano1968

Closed - 1987 E30 320/325 Automatic Sedan Wreck

This is what happens when sh!t goes bad.  Up until last week, this was one of the tidiest, original looking E30's around.  Absolutely no rust.  Only 2 owners.

I am advertising this car complete for sale.  If it does not sell, then I will part it out.  Please do not ask for parts at this stage.

The car is deregistered.

The transmission and rear end were, and still are sweet.  The engine still runs, and car drives very short distances.  Radiator, fan and viscous coupling are stuffed (I would replace the water pump at the same time).  Power steering brackets are slightly bent, but it still seems to work alright.  Looks as if they can be bent back.

All instruments work.  All doors are undamaged.  Boot lid has a slight bend (possibly just pull out by hand to correct), but spoiler is unaffected.

Car is fitted with:

*        Manual windows.

*        Manual sunroof.

*        325i front and rear sway bars.

*        5 x bottle cap wheels, with tyres in excellent condition (these were not on the car at the time of accident).

*        All upholstery in excellent condition.  The best I have seen so far, considering their light colour.

*        Boot spoiler in excellent condition.

*        M20B25 engine out of a 525, with approximately 140,000km on it.  This engine was fitted by Bavarian Motors late last year.  It has had the head planed, gasket replaced, new cambelt/water pump.  The engine runs a mix of Jetronic and Motronic fuel and management control systems.  Don't ask me how, I don't know.  Ernst set it up.  It took a couple of minutes when cold to idle by itself, and the idle when the engine is warm is higher than usual.  It has always been a little rattly (don't know whether it is just tappets or something else).  Aside from this it ran well.  Never used any oil or water.

*        320i exhaust system.

*        Dash only has very minor cracks.

*        Factory mud flaps.

Fitted - near new

*        4 x Bilstein B4 shock absorbers.

*        4 x brake disks.

*        Brake pads.

*        Brake pad sensors.

*        Tinted windows.

*        M3 solid front control arm bushes.

*        Heavy duty battery (not pictured but included in sale).

*        Transmission gear selector surround (the thing that usually loses all its bristles).

*        Air filter.

*        Coolant level sensor.

*        Idle air control valve.

*        Engine hood insulation.

*        Mongoose alarm

Pick up is from Whatawhata, just out of Hamilton.  I cannot deliver, so please don't ask.

Ask if you have any questions.

IMG_2337.JPG

IMG_2338.JPG

IMG_2339.JPG

IMG_2340.JPG

IMG_2341.JPG

IMG_2342.JPG

IMG_2343.JPG

IMG_2344.JPG

IMG_2345.JPG

IMG_2346.JPG

IMG_2347.JPG

Crap - what a waste.

Have to ask - what happened? Can see grass stuck in the font ....

Edited by TermiPeteNZ

The perfect storm happened.  Just came back from working 11-13hr days for 3 weeks solid.  Didn't realise how tired I was, cold tyres, slippery road, fog, forgot there was a bend, panicked at the last moment and turned the car too hard.  Spun down the road in total darkness a couple of times before hitting the bank.  Fortunately I was only doing about 70kph.  Came out pretty much unscathed.

The car is a total loss.  Chassis is badly bent forward of the front struts.

Fortunately it happened only 1km from home, and was able to drive the car home.

I have a heap of spares for the car which I will advertise once the car sells, or if I have to part it out.

• Like 1

Damn that's a shame but at least you are OK. One of the downsides of the older cars is safety ..... cars have come along way since the 80s.

Driving when tired is just a bad plan :(

I hope you get yourself another Bimmer. E39s are a good safe car.

I'm here with Pete...what a waste. But glad you are alive and well and I am really sorry for your loss.

I know you said not to ask, but in case you have to part out, I would be keen on the seats...and if the engine and gearbox are all good, then I would be interested in that as well. (Just putting my hand up at this stage).

Cheers.

Hi Charl.  It would appear by the lack of interest in the complete wreck that I may have to part it out.  The transmission is mint.  It was serviced late last year by Bavarian motors.  The engine is as described above.  I have started and driven it in the driveway.  The valve gear looks in good condition from what I can see from the oil fill cap, so not sure why it was always noisy.  I will make a decision in the next week or so.  I also have a heap of spares, including another M20B25 engine, Motronic 1.3 engine loom and ECU, 4 x 15" basket weaves including caps and tyres, K&N air filter, full 325i exhaust, 2.8L crank, yellow euro headlights, dash mat, factory locking wheel nuts.  I'm sure there's more but I'd have to check the shed.

Watch this space.

• Like 1

Cheers Dean, will keep an eye here. I'll only get my E30 delivered by this weekend, or early next week, so I am also in no rush yet. I still need to have the E30 checked out.

PS - I have ZERO knowledge of whatever "Motronic 1.3 engine loom and ECU" means, but I'll google it. :huh:

id be very keen.to buy the 4x 15 basketweaves

I would be keen on the shocks if you part it. What springs are they?

have you got to taking some pictures yet?

Sale of car and any associated parts on hold.  I had another look over the car on the weekend and am struggling to come to terms with parting it.  There's just so much good stuff on, and off it which have taken so long to collect.  I need time to decide what I do next.

• Like 2