Sign in to follow this  
gjm

Rim centre securing bolts

Lots of our cars will have a rim centre that hides the wheel bolts.

A set of rims I have here has this bolt to secure the centre cover:

WP_20170808_005.thumb.jpg.d84b06f535465f0599872a2671a49a7c.jpg

The key would be an irregularly-shaped housing with 5 ball-ended pins... Of course, I don't have the 'key.'

Is there anywhere that might sell the tool I need, or should I make something that will suit, or give up on the idea and buy a new set of security-type bolts?

any engineering tool store will sell you an angle grinder and a cutting disk, to cut a slot in it.  Be sure to where all appropriate safety gear.  :ph34r:

Sorry I know that's not the answer you were looking for.  You may be able to carefully measure it up, draw it, and have it CNC machined up?  The irregular spacing of the tines indicate there are many key options to this particular wheel set.

HTH

What is the wheel in this case? It might help knowing the model etc. 

Big pair of vice grips.

If that fails, grind two sides of the bolt so you have better grip.

3 hours ago, Olaf said:

You may be able to carefully measure it up, draw it, and have it CNC machined up?  The irregular spacing of the tines indicate there are many key options to this particular wheel set.

HTH

I'm sure something could be manufactured with little difficulty. Just cost and/or time.

6 minutes ago, eliongater said:

What is the wheel in this case? It might help knowing the model etc. 

It's a Remotec. The pic shows the bolt inserted in the inside face of the bolt cover - when fitted as designed it'll normally be recessed into a round hole only slightly larger than the head of the bolt itself.

5 minutes ago, zero said:

Big pair of vice grips.

If that fails, grind two sides of the bolt so you have better grip.

I can get the securing bolt out once... It's getting them in, tight enough to secure the cover and not come undone when on the car, that will cause problems. Or undoing it again in the dark and rain when we get a puncture i the middle of nowhere... ;)

The easy solution is a more or less stock allen socket bolt, replacing this one. It's just not all that secure.