Sign in to follow this  
325_driver

Keyless Entry - Remote Locking (Maybe FZV Antenna?)

Hey all, for some reason my remote buttons wont work on my car, 

I've got a new key programmed - just incase it was the old remote

i've tried the recode procedure on both keys (ignition 1 / off - hold unlock button + middle button 3 times etc), tried a few days of battery disconnects and trying again with different methods.

I'm trying to narrow down the possible problem.

- FZV antenna - has anyone experienced it?

also with the FZV antenna amp, i see some models of e46 have the receiver in the rear view mirror (clown nose) and some in the Passenger C Pillar.

- Has anyone experienced it being the GM module thing - some one suggested it might be that, but i would assume that I would be experiencing central locking issues on either door if that was the case

2002 e46 330ci - Pretty sure it's NZ new

Looking for some help to help diagnose the issue and the best place to start to get to the bottom of this!

Thanks heaps

Jonathan

Edited by 325_driver

Also does anyone have any insight into this (i'm only talking about the keyless entry / remote pairing - not any thing to do with EWS)

Let's say I have 2 keys id#1 and id#2 

When I pair/code them with the car for unlocking do i have to start with key id#1 in order to pair #2 with the car?

Like when i start the reprogramming procedure - if i start it with id #2 will it fail?

Hi

Do you have the clown nose on the bottom of the rear view mirror?  If so, you have the IR system that uses the receiver in the mirror.  If not, you have the RF system that uses the receiver in the "C" pillar. 

See below link on converting a IR system to a RF system.  Good learning about the system in there.

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=1047612

It does not matter which key you start the programming with.

• Like 1

Hi, first what type of keys do you have and how old are they?.

Has this happened suddenly or been their for a while and gotten worse until it finally stopped working all together.

If they are the key type which has three buttons unlock doors top one, lock doors centre one, unlock boot bottom one or sometimes called diamond shape. These have a battery in side them and over time the battery goes flat and all the remote stuff stops working. Do a google search and it will show you how to replace the batteries. Awaiting some from the UK at present so I can change mine over.It is easier if the replacements have the terminals already attached to them.

hey allan - are you ordering the vl2020 battery ? (rechargeable sort?)

I have opened up the (non serviceable) key - just to do some voltage testing on the battery - done a few recharges on it by having it in the ignition over night - and could well be the battery, as after a charge it will sync now - but not for long.

NZ00z3 - I have a c-pillar antenna system - but ALSO a clown nose on my mirror. so not sure whats going on there - i read that aparently the convertables run the antenna system in the mirror, not the coupe / sedan.

Allan if you have more than 1 battery i wouldnt mind buying it off you - i spotted they were selling sets for $10 or so, with the connections already spot welded to the battery

Probably worth mentioning - it's not GM or Antenna related - from some more testing it seems to be pointed more towards battery. but i'm curious 

has any one had a rechargable battery actually die? from what i've read it seems like they rarely die - but its an original key so like 15 year old battery surely must be reaching an end point ?

Had a look a video about this changing a key fob battery also the point of how is the battery recharged came up. Could some explain how this is done in  simple terms.