Sign in to follow this  
SmithyInWelly

E91 330i

As per the "wanted to buy" thread; I picked up a 330i Touring in Akl. Drove it back yesterday - seems pretty good; NZ new, 170kms, reasonable service history. No fault codes showing. Spec wise it's low on fruit - but everything works and is in reasonable condition.

First point of business is to address a very slightly and occasionally wobbly rear - possibly a buggered bush... but first off will get a wheel alignment done.

Following that; a second key (any suggestions on sourcing appreciated)... and then I may look at adding a bluetooth module - though I'm not sure I'll even bother. We'll see... may also do something about the tyres - it's got Michelin Pilots on the back which are 2/3rds worn, and bingbonglingdings on the front which are barely worn (wish it was the other way around).

As a DD it'll certainly do the job, and make the daily schlep over SH58 much more enjoyable than it was in the Euro!

20170813_095830.jpg

20170813_095907.jpg

20170813_095929.jpg

Edited by SmithyInWelly
Updated text
  • Like 4

Nice looking car! 

Personally I think you're better off without the iDrive too, given the age of the things. Mine's certainly nothing to write home about. 

• Like 1

On 8/13/2017 at 0:21 PM, SmithyInWelly said:

a second key (any suggestions on sourcing appreciated)...

I got a second key from Schmiedmann for 140 euro plus shipping.  All official and kosher.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, HardBall66 said:

I got a second key from Schmiedmann for 140 euro plus shipping.  All official and kosher.

What model for? That is a very reasonable price when you accept cutting plus blank costs around $95NZD alone. 

Edited by Gabe79

Great score!  Looks really sharp.

hope you're making it along this Sunday ?

• Like 1

Took it in to get a once over today... turns out the "service" the dealer did was done; and the gasket repair noted in the PPI was done too - just had to clear some codes.

Had the vanos solenoids cleaned out, and code removed. 

Also, the wobbly rear end turned out to be a quite munted shock absorber - so had both rears replaced... and voila!

Now it handles properly whilst driving responsibly up SH58 :D

• Like 1

On 8/14/2017 at 8:19 PM, Gabe79 said:

What model for? That is a very reasonable price when you accept cutting plus blank costs around $95NZD alone. 

1997 E39 528i.  You need to send them proof of ownership - pretty straightforward, and shipping from Denmark only takes about 4 or 5 days.  The hardest part was Forrest-Gumping my way thru the process to get the keyless entry remote paired with the car.  Luckily Youtube came to the rescue.

Edited by HardBall66

So now the shocks are done I need to get a wheel alignment done as it's still a little off... though I've also got to remember it's grand-dad suspension, not m-sport; so my expectations may need a little alignment too (not to mention I've been driving a FWD with 140ish kw for 18 mths, now I'm in a RWD with 190ish).

Then think about some new tyres in the next couple of months - not sure what to get. They're 18's and a daily drive; not a track car. So something that balances wet weather grip  and is good at motorway speeds is important given my drive.

tbh i think you should go for some nice 17's if possible and sell those 18s which look like replicas?

• Like 2

good thinking, Kyu.

Cory, I think it's pretty hard to go past Bridgestone Potenza Adrenalin RE003's.  They're often on buy one, get the second half price (which is basically buy three, get four)... I have run them for more than 20,000kms on my e46 (225/45R17 and 245/40R17), and have more than 5000kms on my e60 (245/40/R18) and find them superb in the wet, quiet and grippy in the dry, and wear well to boot!  What's not to like for a tyre that's no more expensive than the mid-range korean alternatives?  I think they're superb, particularly at the money you pay for them.

I go to Kelvin (owner) at Bridgestone Torrens Terrace, he's excellent on alignment and I find him great to deal with.  HTH.

33773638221_444fbccbab_c.jpg

• Like 1

I've been thinking similarly Kyu... I like the style but they don't suit the car (or the old fart now driving it lol), and I suspect contribute negatively to the ride/compliance issues. 

And snap to the RE003's Olaf; I put them on Greg's old E39 and they were brilliant (for the $$$), much better than the Firestone's on the Euro, and barely more expensive. I've got a BTC near work in Seaview; sadly town is out of the question for me these days - at least during working hours.

Kelvin's open on Saturday mornings :)  I found him on the recommendation of a friend who's very fussy with his car collection, and found Kelvin's pricing sharper than standard BTC.   I value the relationship and individual more than the branding on the sign outside :)

• Like 2

Have now racked up 4000-odd kms in a month of ownership - so far so good... the car likes a drink though that's more about my driving; and the fact I can't resist flooring it in 2nd/3rd going up Haywards Hill from the Hutt. 

That aside it's a nice cruiser. Handles beautifully; suspension is spot on for a DD, and having the extra room in the back has proven useful on occasions - more so for the house move. Has enough power 99% of the time (well, probably a hundy really).

The only down side is the fact that I probably spent more $$$$ than I needed to - not on this car, but generally. Now the budget for a deck and spa pool is seriously under the pump (pun intended).

• Like 1