Sign in to follow this  
adro

E39 2000 540i Msport

Look forward to seeing it Adrian - amazing amount of work you've done. Must've saved a pretty packet in labour :)

On 12/10/2017 at 11:25 PM, adro said:

205,000 KM

replaced front wheel bearings with OEM FAG 31221093427

with new bolts: Genuine BMW 31206779384

Old and the new

IMG_4194

The weird clicks/pops I was hearing when driving in and out of driveways or when the front was loaded up on the brakes coming to a stop have gone. The vibration at 100km has also reduced dramatically. Although while I was in there I noticed a lot of play in the thrust arm bushings so they will be next on the list.

Finally used it for what I bought it for...

IMG_4035

Bit more work horsing

IMG_4089

nice trailer sailer; what is it?

and is that a super-monster englarger on your trailer?

great work with the engine overhaul, well done!  Looking forward to seeing you at a meet soon.

Damn that is a good amount of work gone into the beast, well done looks really good.

Good stuff mate! Saw you in the E30 a couple of weeks ago and was wondering how the progress on the 540i was going haha. Wicked, glad you got it all done!

10 hours ago, Olaf said:

nice trailer sailer; what is it?

and is that a super-monster englarger on your trailer?

It's a Noelex 22, it's abit dunga but it's fun to race round the buoys at Evans bay when I can find some crew. Needs abit of TLC like the old cars ;-)

Yes, that is a huge enlarger, in fact I think theres 3 huge englargers in there. Helped a friend re-locate them from the Raumati photo school out here to eastern suburbs.

10 hours ago, rusteee said:

Damn that is a good amount of work gone into the beast, well done looks really good.

Thanks @rusteee, that catch can setup you had was nicely engineered. Have done about 300km since the overhaul and all seems to be well.

10 hours ago, Kepes said:

Good stuff mate! Saw you in the E30 a couple of weeks ago and was wondering how the progress on the 540i was going haha. Wicked, glad you got it all done!

Yeah, was abit of a silver lining being forced to daily the E30 :D Catch up soon.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, TermiPeteNZ said:

Look forward to seeing it Adrian - amazing amount of work you've done. Must've saved a pretty packet in labour :)

Yeah, I spent about the same amount as what the MBI is for this car. Hindsight i probably should have just waited for the guides to fail but my OCD got the better of me...I do love a bit of preventative maintenance.

• Like 2

Tow bar wired into LCM.

We ( @andyb184) wired in the trailer harness to the LCM. The loom had been cut short (a foot short of the B pillar) It's running into the OEM trailer module in the boot. So the loom was extended and then soldered into the correct wires (ones already taken like indicator/brakes) and the data/fog light cable pinned into the LCM. Haven't got a trailer to hook it up to and test yet but it's not throwing any codes as is (touch wood). 

Oh and I found a dollar under the font seat.

40411813215_a7971de2a3_b.jpg41264764822_c880b36c64_b.jpg

Now i need to vacuum ;-)

• Like 1

I snapped up @Lucan's Xenons on trademe a while back. After abit of wet sanding and buffing they are in pretty good shape. Installed without having to be coded in too which was cool. Looking forward to going for a drive in the dark now.

IMG_9669

I also finally put the last two heat shields back on and after checking for oil leaks since the major overhaul (bone dry) put the splash guard back on.

• Like 10

IMG_9717

Finally made it to a WLG BMW Club meet. Thanks @andyb184 for driving while I figured out my panning settings.

Edited by adro
spelling
  • Like 5

Nice! our cars are pretty much twins now!

Still have my parts car CELIS tails for your next upgrade :P

1 hour ago, Lucan said:

Nice! our cars are pretty much twins now!

Still have my parts car CELIS tails for your next upgrade :P

You kept that quiet! I'm keen. I need the exhaust too...

10 hours ago, adro said:

You kept that quiet! I'm keen. I need the exhaust too...

@adro  Just putting together details for trip to Auckland this Weekend.  Contact me if you want an exhaust carried.  Preferably clean/wrapped.

Edited by Olaf

On 4/29/2018 at 3:01 PM, adro said:

IMG_9717

Finally made it to a WLG BMW Club meet. Thanks @andyb184 for driving while I figured out my panning settings.

I don't mind executing panning shots of your car while you drive up and down the road; we just need to sort out a mutually convenient time, and preferably a cloudy day :)

• Like 2

211,000 km

loving the Xenons. Worth every dollar.

Couldn't resist a quick pic on the way to work this week.

42097787992_1919057e86_b.jpg

• Like 7

3 minutes ago, qube said:

beautiful backdrop!

it's Wellington, brother!  Just quietly, the understated centre of the universe; on occasion she quietly parts the curtains to reveal stunning beauty amidst that rugged stormy windblown exterior.  Like that bogan lady you've known for years who's actually a debutante, slumming it. ?

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Gosh i love a Titansilber E39 Msport. A great looking car for sure.

• Like 2

On 5/18/2018 at 5:51 PM, KwS said:

Gosh i love a Titansilber E39 Msport. A great looking car for sure.

me too.  though I admit a predilection for quietly classy bogan debutantes as well. ?

211,250 km 

replaced the battery ground terminal today with OEM Part #: BMW-12421436910

40700220110_79b24cb16d_b.jpg

I had broken the bolt on the old one trying to tighten it after experiencing a couple of bricked car scenarios due to it losing contact.

Also eliminted a front passenger door rattle after finding the screw from the door card to the door missing. 

• Like 2

211,450km 

installed new lemforder control arms. Tension and thrust arms both sides. I hadn’t done this earlier due to @rusteee having already done them 30,000km earlier with Meyle HD ones (which still looked really good when I pulled them out?) 

But the big news is that it has cured the 100km shimmy i had. This was a lasting frustration I’ve had with this car since purchase, so I am so happy to finally have it silky smooth as it should be. 

I ordered the arms from FCP in two orders to avoid gst and they were on the limit @400 each side but they both came in under the radar. Since these seem to be a real consumable on the E39 I’m hoping to be able to use FCP’s lifetime warrenty should they fail in the future. 

41953954094_a72a200696_b.jpg

Edited by adro
correcting auto correct
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Nice one.  Such an annoying problem to have.

I always swap to poly bushings in the thrust arms if im keeping the car, but given that you have the warranty its probably not worth it in this case.

• Like 1