Sign in to follow this  
adro

E39 2000 540i Msport

23 hours ago, adro said:

haha yeah, school of soft clunks and all that. ?

i fixed that for ya.Kudo to you mate your E39 looks AWESOME,and seems actually as sound as it looks

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 5/2/2019 at 10:06 PM, TermiPeteNZ said:

Glad you got the clunk sorted :)

Finally got time to clean it today.

SWE_8373SWE_8378SWE_8369-3

• Like 7

1 hour ago, adro said:

clean it

Yeah as it always looks filthy...:dodgy:

• Haha 3

217,890km

New shocks up front.

I've gone with:

Part #: SAC-556838 - these are the S704A shock instead of the S705A, I only figured this out after I had already put one in. All i'm noticing is the car is smoother now and my bank account isn't as far in the red as if I had of gone S705A route. I am abit annoyed i didn't figure this out sooner and as I've been sitting on everything but the shocks for almost a year. I probably would have gone the koni yellow route as it's kind of the in between price wise (still way cheaper than S705A though, but i really don't want it any stiffer). Now I'm in a bit of dilemma as to what I do with the rears....do I replace them with more S704A shocks or get S705A..? All i can find on the internet is that the S705A package is valved to handle the extra weight of the M62TU and designed for a staggered wheel set up....I'll wait for you guys to lash me for being so ignorant first ?

BMW Strut bearing Part #: BMW-31331090612

Lemforder strut mount Part #:LEM-2180801

BMW bump stop Part #:BMW-31331138814

BMW spring pad lower Part #:BMW-31331096664

BMW spring pad upper Part #:BMW-31331091233

59464616_2471851636376227_6208721349192450048_n

I did this over two weeks so have been driving for a week with one new shock and one old and to be honest the new shock side felt better.....

58461914_2288746341397243_7463183263725518848_n

Maxed out the spring compressors....man these things really turn your anxiety up.

Edited by adro
  • Like 3

I think the s705A rears need to be paired with the longer M-tech 2 progressive rear springs. I am 99% certain the M-tech 1 rear springs are shorter and s704A shocks are also shorter to suit. If you can compare the lengths of the shocks that would be a good way to be sure.

7 minutes ago, BreakMyWindow said:

I think the s705A rears need to be paired with the longer M-tech 2 progressive rear springs. I am 99% certain the M-tech 1 rear springs are shorter and s704A shocks are also shorter to suit. If you can compare the lengths of the shocks that would be a good way to be sure.

OK cool, thank you. I didn't notice a difference in length in the front, other than the nut being 22mm instead of 21.

4 hours ago, adro said:

58461914_2288746341397243_7463183263725518848_n

Maxed out the spring compressors....man these things really turn your anxiety up.

Dude, I've got a pair as well.  For that 'belt and braces' thing, you can borrow mine and have them at 90 degrees.

Nice work on the shocks etc!

Installed a GROM unit as per @BozzaFC recommendation. It is a bit pricey for what it is but it does it's job very effectively.

I got this one:

https://gromaudio.com/store/bt3_adapters/bmw-mini-98-05-bluetooth-adapter-car-kit-behind-the-radio-connector.html

with the 3.5mm and USB charger cable.

I'm loving being able to run spotify via bluetooth and still use the steering controls to skip tracks.

Bit of ghetto install using the posi things....should probably solder them eventually.

NB: you gotta disconnect the CD stacker at the stacker also..

47004844344_49c4563e89_b.jpg32850618227_e8daf4b658_b.jpg47004844154_023affee5d_b.jpg

No more tape adapter for me ?

Is it even an E39 if your pixels ARE working?? ?

Edited by adro
  • Like 4

not sure about the pixels thing but its definitely not an E39 if your cup holders can actualy stay retracted...

My pixels are good (low obc helps) and cup holders work as new but ive got climate climate buttons randomly popping out instead. 

Good stuff @adro how have you found the quality of the microphone?

Got one of these in a cart with GROM currently too. All my pixels work , deffo in a minority there :D

@Eagle my HVAC buttons were also popping out, mostly aircon and temp adjusters. i scored a busted HVAC unit from a wrecker with great condition buttons, and swapped them over for the princely sum of 20 $ lol

Yeah ive got a spare to do the same at some point

6 minutes ago, Eagle said:

Yeah ive got a spare to do the same at some point

it's really easy i didn't even have to take anything apart, surprising for BMW, only took 5 mins 

44 minutes ago, hunter said:

Good stuff @adro how have you found the quality of the microphone?

Got one of these in a cart with GROM currently too. All my pixels work , deffo in a minority there :D

@Eagle my HVAC buttons were also popping out, mostly aircon and temp adjusters. i scored a busted HVAC unit from a wrecker with great condition buttons, and swapped them over for the princely sum of 20 $ lol

Haven't wired the microphone in yet, need to find more time to thread the needle for that.

I've tried to fix the pixels but failed, my dash ones are perfect though (touch wood).

Replaced cup holders @qube , probably not the first set it's had either.

2185XX km

Few cosmetic things tidied up today.

Bonnet resprayed

It was always a little dull but it really has faded to the point it was starting to get a big rust patch in it. The Body Stable in Miramar did the work. 

Before:

AVP_1134AVP_1133

After:

AVP_1886-2AVP_1887-2AVP_1888-2

Seemed like a good time to put some gloss black grills in and new badge.

New mirror glass:

The last one I got to replace the leaking one was for the smaller mirrors, now we are back to big mirrors on both side

AVP_1896

Steering wheel:

I wanted the facelift one but with the airbag recall and not what it was murky waters. I picked this up for a bargain on trademe and fitted my airbag which isn't a takata defective one. Big difference is this has no leather missing from the wheel itself and also has some nice tri colour trim. I gave it a going over with the toothbrush before installing.

AVP_1470AVP_1471AVP_1472

before:

AVP_1891

after:

AVP_1898AVP_1899

• Like 9

The front end looks really tidy now! Great result

Is that a genuine M steering wheel? As opposed to a 540i msport wheel? 

Excellent choice of phone mount also! ?

20 minutes ago, BozzaFC said:

The front end looks really tidy now! Great result

Is that a genuine M steering wheel? As opposed to a 540i msport wheel? 

Excellent choice of phone mount also! ?

Not sure what the deal is with the different coloured stitching? Anyone know?

53 minutes ago, adro said:

I think the msport is coloured, mine was tri stitch but i didn’t know it till I cleaned it. 

looking totes amazing man.

3 hours ago, adro said:

Pretty sure M5 is the tri-colour, M sport is just black. Some "individual" models may be another colour..

I bought a refurbished M5 one off ebay from Poland, new leather wrap and stitching, looks good with a bit of new car smell...

20190506_191008.jpg

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, hqstu said:

Pretty sure M5 is the tri-colour, M sport is just black. Some "individual" models may be another colour..

I bought a refurbished M5 one off ebay from Poland, new leather wrap and stitching, looks good with a bit of new car smell...

20190506_191008.jpg

Perfection^ ?

That makes sense. My old one had black stitching, this new one came out of the boot of that grey M5 with the insane air intakes that was for sale recently, but it was facelift so who knows where this wheel actually came from. Best $100 i’ve spent.

Edited by adro
  • Like 2

some non M cars have tri colour stitching. like my old E36 318ti msport came with tri colour stitching but was the thin wheel not the more padded M ones.