Sign in to follow this  
adro

E39 2000 540i Msport

Hi @adro

Did the LEDs give the same or better beam length as the OEM halos

Still contemplating getting some.

@hunter both don't do anything to the beam as far as I can tell, I just like the modern look of the white light.  I did see these recently though https://www.turnermotorsport.com/p-12129-led-bright-white-angel-eye-bulb-upgrade-e39-e60-e63-e65-x5-x3/

Would be keen to see how much brighter they are.

Edited by adro
  • Like 1

Saw you cruising by the airport a couple weeks ago.

It looks stunning!

• Like 1

221188 km

Installed modLight2 module today:

https://modbmw.com/shop/modlight2/

AVP_3884

Since I've already spliced the GROM unit into the stereo harness in the dash I opted to splice this into the CD changer loom in the boot, which turns out is way easier/roomy.

AVP_3885

I've since added a zip tie to keep it there. It's a bit of a one time program so I'm too concerned about having it mounted upside down.

Features:

Mirrors fold with long press of the key fob, unfold upon unlocking

'Follow me' style lights when locking and unlocking (you can have the thing light up like a disco ball..I have just opted for the default which is park lights on unlock and high beams on lock.)

Custom welcome message which is a bit of a lol.

That's all i've signed up for at the moment, i might change the courtesy indicator to 3 clicks but I'm not fussed. 

Conclusion:

The sunroof and window close function still work with the long press of the key fob and the Grom unit still runs as it should which was a relief.

I'm really happy with this little upgrade. Makes the car feel a touch more modern than it is. I'll upload a video of it working in action soon.

AVP_3886-2

Edited by adro
  • Like 3

not sure if its the video but your lights look very nice and bright!

AVP_5057AVP_5060AVP_5061

Cleaned and got a coat of some autoglym quick detailer. Clay bar'd the windscreen and applied 'jet seal' to it along with the lights. Noticed someone has reversed into my front number plate putting it significantly out of shape...probably better than the bumper but still. Will have to pop this off and try straighten it.

Edited by adro
  • Like 9

That top shot is money man, nice capture. 

• Like 2

48845456263_fec893f343_b.jpg

and then it couldn't find a gear. Booked into Auto38 on Tuesday. In the mean time I scanned it myself,  ISTA-D came up with codes 31-EGS: Symptom gear monitoring, 32 -EGS: Symptom gear monitoring 1, 35 -EGS: Symptom gear monitoring 3, 3B EGS: Stall speed and 8- IKE: EGS signal line disturbed. Cleared them, drove it...shifted fine for about 3 mins and then started slipping again in 3rd or 4th and then went back into limp mode, same codes. I've been googling but looks like some serious multimetering is the next step. I'll leave that up to Jon.

Edited by adro
  • Sad 2

Damn, hopefully its electrical rather than the internals. Has the transmission even been worked on?

29 minutes ago, Eagle said:

Damn, hopefully its electrical rather than the internals. Has the transmission even been worked on?

I hope its no major Adrian. Thats the third gearbox in that beast and millionth torque converter which both had been fully rebuilt so be suprising if it was internal. Keen to see what the issue is, hopfully just some bad connection somewhere in the line

Maybe its got a curse on it

15 hours ago, rusteee said:

I hope its no major Adrian. Thats the third gearbox in that beast and millionth torque converter which both had been fully rebuilt so be suprising if it was internal. Keen to see what the issue is, hopfully just some bad connection somewhere in the line

Thanks Russell, yeah....that's what I'm hoping for, it's been working like a dream so hopefully not terminal.

11 minutes ago, Eagle said:

Maybe its got a curse on it

I think after what Russell went through it's not a crazy concept ?

Update: I towed the car to Jon @ auto38 who advised the box was busted. I towed it home, did some thinking, looked at replacement vehicles, looked at replacement boxes, sort council from multiple forum members, then towed it out to Hutt Automatics for them to drop the box and diagnose further. They have advised this morning that the A drum has failed, likely due to pressure spikes from the pressure regulator/valve body. After further discussions about how the car was driving prior to it failing I've decided to rebuild the torque converter too while it's out. Hopefully it's back on the road in a couple of weeks...

48983687997_a4be92ec48_b.jpg

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

Ouch, hope rebuild sorts it once and for all!

Sounds like the gearbox has done the rounds with rebuilds

What symptoms did it have prior to dying, were they ongoing for a while or more orless immediate -ish?

2 hours ago, hunter said:

Ouch, hope rebuild sorts it once and for all!

Sounds like the gearbox has done the rounds with rebuilds

What symptoms did it have prior to dying, were they ongoing for a while or more orless immediate -ish?

no symptoms really. I felt a shudder every now and again from take off but not often or bad enough to make me worry. At 50-60km/h it would change down a gear...almost like it couldn't make up it's mind what gear it wanted to be in...again, has done it for the 2.5 years I've owned it and never really bothered me...that's why I'm rebuilding the torque converter though. I've never noticed any slipping, or delay in shift or delay when going from drive to reverse etc it's always felt tight ? The failure was immediate. One minute fine, next minute going nowhere.

• Like 1

Great excuse to go manual conversion ?

• Like 4

You won't know yourself with rebuilt trans and torque converter.  replacing cooler lines and cooler as well, in case of debris?

Nearly 7 years on and ~75,000kms on and the Hutt Automatics rebuilt trans in our e46 is shifting beautifully (it's had a fluid change and filter in that time).

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Olaf said:

You won't know yourself with rebuilt trans and torque converter.  replacing cooler lines and cooler as well, in case of debris?

Nearly 7 years on and ~75,000kms on and the Hutt Automatics rebuilt trans in our e46 is shifting beautifully (it's had a fluid change and filter in that time).

Cool, can't wait. No mention of the trans cooler or line replacement at this stage.

Hey Adrian, I did have the cooler and lines done when I had the box and converter rebuilt as that was causing the problem all along and AAutomotive decided to rebuild instead of diagnosing the fault properly, not sure if it would fail in that short amount of time? Mind you didnt think the box would fail in such a short amount of time either. It was completely blocked when we pulled it out so replaced the whole thing, the lines and the radiator.

This beast is going to be like new by the time you are finished with it! Good work