Sign in to follow this  
LemonHunter

E83 X3 2.5i buying considerations

My buddy is looking at an E83 X3

$13,290 2006 X3 2.5Si jap import 50,000k. Service history unknown at this point

$12,999 2006 X3 2.5i NZ New 147,000k sporadic servicing BMW and other shop

my thoughts are Jap import with lower Ks is the safer bet, but I think the 2.5 engine is a little underpowered, and comes up with VANOS issues when you google it. 

I said if he gets a PPI on either, and Mechanical Insurance, he probably can't go too far wrong, but the NZ New will retain value slightly better because for some reason people give a sh*t.

His main purpose for ownership is he works in a sales role, lot of driving, and his second homes are the ski fields in winter and tramping tracks in summer, plus a kid to cart around.

Edited by EURO V12

I would say the NZ new one will have sh*t all value in a year or two due to mileage.

A couple of years in the Jap and it will be in prime NZ selling condition (100km).

Tell your friend to read the reviews on these for the year mentioned they don't make good reading. The 3.0ltr and diesel ones appear to be the better option that said the reviews are not that good yet again. Some even go as far to say a RAV 4 or x trail may be a better option and value for money in any case tell your mate to do his research and not be blinded by the badge.

1 hour ago, allan said:

Tell your friend to read the reviews on these for the year mentioned they don't make good reading. The 3.0ltr and diesel ones appear to be the better option that said the reviews are not that good yet again. Some even go as far to say a RAV 4 or x trail may be a better option and value for money in any case tell your mate to do his research and not be blinded by the badge.

:thumbs-up:  That's why I've being driving an Xtrail for the last 13 years from new ... 180km 1 battery, 3 sets of tyres, 2 front wheel bearings, crank & cam sensors $85 ea, genuine starter $98, new cat $900 (complete exhaust manifold), 2 sets of front brakes and 1 rear with no new rotors, just machining and normal servicing... oops and 2X LLb501 front park light bulbs.. that's all

• Like 2

If these two X3's are the only options your friend is looking at then I would advise buy the one which gets the better PPI report. Then put aside a maintenance piggy bank ;).

If they are looking for alternatives then as others have mentioned - RAV/Xtrail/Vitara etc are worth looking at.

If it was me in your friends shoes, then I would be buying under 'fit for purpose' - not necessarily a badge.

I enjoyed my e83 X5, so much so I owned it for 3 years. Mine was a 2005, 2.5l, 6spd manual (UK import) which I found had enough power, good economy and ample luggage space. Apart from servicing only issues I had was transfer box cog and coils. Other than that it was rather a 'painless' ownership experience.

Hope this helps!

He went for the one that he was able to get the cheapest, and he ignored my advice to get a PPI it seems...  well...  everyone that buys a BMW inevitably picks up a few lessons after the fact.  I've had my wallet hammered for buying the cheapest once, and he well knows that, but C'est la vie, caveat emptor.

Three languages in one post, who am I trying to impress?

• Like 1