Sign in to follow this  
curryinahurry

E92 Remote Key Not Working

Hello Team,

The remote key on my E92 recently stopped working and I was wondering if anyone have any ideas what might be the cause.

The key is still able to start the car, but it would no longer lock / unlock the doors by remote.  Its a non comfort access key.

Here are the facts:

* The lock / unlock button in the car works.

* I lost all my radio channels when the key stopped working, but I was able to save them again and it continues to work.

* The remote function came back once... but stopped working shortly after

* I've cut open the key to replace the battery and the internals looked to be in good condition

* The key is emitting the correct frequency (tested by express keys), but uncertain whether the signal is correct

* Express keys currently don't have stock of my key (434 Mhz NZ new).

* I've only got 1 key at the moment

Would be awesome if anyone could suggest something for me to try / test as using the physical key to lock / unlock the car sucks!

Thanks,

Andrew

Wonder if its of any relation to the FZV antenna amplifier

I'd imagine the e92 might operate in a similar fashion

https://www.bmwgm5.com/bmwgm5/FZV_Antenna_Amp.htm

considering in my vehicle the remote key receiver and fzv is on the same unit as radio receiver might be worth having a look into.

Edited by 325_driver

Also - not sure if the e92 key fobs have a remote entry re-sync procedure like the e46's do (i.e. with all doors closed ignition position 1 -> off -> pull key out -> while holding unlock button press lock button 3 times - and the door locks will cycle on / off to confirm the key is now paired with the remote unlocking.)

My suspicion is on what ever receives the signal or the wiring round it (as Allan's link suggests at the bottom) -> and fires it to the GM module. since you mentioned something about radio channel issues.

Could be battery? Their not the re-chargeable ones?

Could be failed board?

I just went through a similar process with my FOB, 

Don't know enough about e92 to really say though.

Edited by 325_driver

I spent some more time trying to get my remote key going, but no luck :(

Went to express keys and got a new key programmed, but still no luck with the remote.  The key definitely works as they sync'd it to a different car and worked perfectly.

I've pulled apart the diversity antenna module.  The PCB is in mint condition and all connections are good.

I've visually inspected the antenna grid on the rear windscreen and everything looks in order.

I really would like to get this working as its a major inconvenience having to pull out the backup key to lock / unlock all the time - so if you've got anything suggestions I'm all ears!!

On 1/12/2018 at 5:03 PM, curryinahurry said:

I spent some more time trying to get my remote key going, but no luck :(

Went to express keys and got a new key programmed, but still no luck with the remote.  The key definitely works as they sync'd it to a different car and worked perfectly.

I've pulled apart the diversity antenna module.  The PCB is in mint condition and all connections are good.

I've visually inspected the antenna grid on the rear windscreen and everything looks in order.

I really would like to get this working as its a major inconvenience having to pull out the backup key to lock / unlock all the time - so if you've got anything suggestions I'm all ears!!

Just so I understand this right. 

The remote works on another car but not your car. 

A different remote works on your car perfectly?

2 hours ago, Gabe79 said:

Just so I understand this right. 

The remote works on another car but not your car. 

A different remote works on your car perfectly?

The newly programmed key at Express Keys didn't work on my car, then they programmed it to a different car and that worked fine so it shows theres nothing wrong with the key itself.

No remotes work for my car at all :(

Edited by curryinahurry

Got VIN? Remotes have frequencies. Your VIN tells me the frequency of your antenna. I have a frequency checker at home and would be happy to send you a remote of the correct frequency for you to test. 

Edited by Gabe79

26 minutes ago, Gabe79 said:

Got VIN? Remotes have frequencies. Your VIN tells me the frequency of your antenna. I have a frequency checker at home and would be happy to send you a remote of the correct frequency for you to test. 

Much appreciated Gabe.

The car is NZ new, with the 434 Mhz frequency.  Unfortunately we've had my own key and the new key tested already and they're both fine :(

6 hours ago, curryinahurry said:

Much appreciated Gabe.

The car is NZ new, with the 434 Mhz frequency.  Unfortunately we've had my own key and the new key tested already and they're both fine :(

That's no fun. Sorry dude. Antenna?

FZV Amplifier - Saw a write up about this ages ago reminding me of your issues.

It also receives all of the FM/AM radio frequency for the car

So it could well be related to that

Atleast you have 2 keys now !

Edited by 325_driver

1 hour ago, 325_driver said:

https://www.bmwgm5.com/FZV_Antenna_Amp.htm

not sure if e92 have a similar setup to e46 (mine was in the rear left c pillar)

inv_011111.jpg

CHeers for that. This is quite a common problem on E91 / E61's where leaks from the tail gate will cause water ingress on the antenna module.

Unfortunately for mine, the PCB looks perfect and my FM / AM radio is working well (which are generally tell tale signs) for antenna issues. 

but you can never tell for sure without swapping for a new one...

apparently the PCB can look fine - but there are some connections that can have subtle build up on it which cause the issue

I think this guy was talking about it 

Hi all

just had this problem, 320 2009 E91 LCI wagon

key wouldn’t, open door,, changed battery - no go, also got “no ETC” and comfort access no-go ie couldn’t start car without fob in slot

searched net, started going down Antenna diversity module route - nzd$650 +gst for a second hand unit.

pulled apart rear wing to access ADM, no water or ingress found in module (note Japanese imports have an extra input into the ADM, for their tolling system, so slightly different to ones on eBay...)

put back together and started working????

opened boot and stopped again, all faults

from this I deduced a snapped power wire going to the ADM

stripped wing of again, and had to cut driver side rubber boot, found one of the wires snapped, joined back (solder and heat shrink), now all go

also found reversing camera cable crimped, so rejoined broken wires and that now goes again

result...