Sign in to follow this  
eliongater

Clay bar recommendations

Hi Team, looking for a clay bar(s) for my e28, yes the entire car. So I might need a lot of clay bar and don't really want to spend too much. Going for quantity over quality, but still good enough, if that makes sense.

I already have wash and polish.

@Barryn, since you own an e28 and are very well versed in detailing?

EDIT: happy to pay more if it makes the process easier and/or quicker

Edited by eliongater

13 minutes ago, eliongater said:

@Barryn, since you own an e28 and are very well versed in detailing?

You're asking the right man.  This (or a variant of it) should be the ticket:  http://barrysgarage.co.nz/product/autoglym-surface-detailing-clay-kit/ 

@Olaf, I know is a silly question, but how does that compare to say some clay from United car care, repco or super cheap? (Assuming they sell it)

My primary use will be removing sap, the clear coat is pretty sad, hence I suspect I might need a lot of clay.

15 minutes ago, m325i said:

use a 'clay' towel. A million times easier. 

That might be the go. But where's the best place to buy one?

It's paint surface contaminants.  you remove it with clay and lube.  The clay mitt or towel is another gimmick; some like it, I'm unimpressed.

Is there any more I can say?  You can lead a horse to water...  

Captain-Picard-Facepalm.jpg

Edited by Olaf

What I was meaning is that due to the large amount of contaminants is that I'd likely need two clay bars. And I don't want to spend $160 on two autoglym ones when I could buy just the bar for $17 from UCC

27 minutes ago, eliongater said:

What I was meaning is that due to the large amount of contaminants is that I'd likely need two clay bars. And I don't want to spend $160 on two autoglym ones when I could buy just the bar for $17 from UCC

You can get the Mothers kit from SCA for $55 with four bars. If you're not in a rush, I screwed up my shipment from the US and will be doing another. You can get it for $15usd on amazon and toss it into that shipment for an extra $5 shipping costs. It'll be here next week sometime. 

Edit: you're not in Auckland, it might cost a. It more to get it to you once in NZ. Probably another $5. Still half price. 

Edit2: I see you expect to use a whole bar, or even more... Note that usually one doesn't use a whole bar, but rather a piece of a bar. Spend some quality time over at r/AutoDetailing and their extremely informative wiki

Edited by Gabe79

The big problem you will have is the sap problem, you will need to deal with that before you clay bar, the Autoglym kit that you saw at my lock up has currently done 8 to 10 cars & not halfway through yet, that includes the Lincoln Continental

Thanks for the advice everyone. Thankfully managed to remove most of the sap by washing it.

Don't buy into the hype that the more expensive ones are better. I've used the more expensive ones then bought a 10 pack of 3M ones off ebay for like $15 shipped and they did just as good a job as the more expensive ones, at the end of the day it's a throw out product, i'd rather not throw away money if i dont have too.  

On 8/27/2017 at 0:32 PM, eliongater said:

would I steer you wrong?  When I've run out of my current stock, I'll be talking to Barry.  

I previously used Meguiars, and one clay bar was good for several cars.  My experience reflects Barry's '8-10 cars'.   I seriously doubt you'd go through a whole (or even a quarter) clay bar kit doing the e28, even if it had lived under a motorway flyover by a garden centre for three years.  :)     As Barry notes, a little goes a long way.

And you have a ton of options.

Plus: pics, or your washing of the e28 didn't happen!  ;)

• Like 2