Sign in to follow this  
DeadElmo

E46 330ci - High mileage, possibly no service history, worth it?

Hi guys,

I'm new into BMW's, and there's an e46 330ci (auto) for sale in Tauranga for $3,000, that has done 290,000kms+

Assuming there's no maintenance records (hard to believe given its high mileage), is this worth it? Any and all opinions are welcome. I'm looking for an e46 328c/i or 330c/i

I love the look of them, and the power from either of the 2 is enough for me (have driven both, and am comfortable with the output of either one)

Many thoughts... If it was serviced at a shop, the shop will have records. Ask that.

If you don't know how to work on your own car, this is probably not the car for you, unless you have money, but are choosing to buy a cheap car that needs a lot of maintenance...

At this price, and given the fact you really need to know how to work on cars to make this work... Whilst this might be a car for someone who knows about these cars, it might not be the car for you...

Buying a $3k 330ci will probably incur at least another $3k in PARTS alone. If you have to take it to a shop for everything, it'll get out of hand fast.

Thanks for the swift reply

Oh I know how to work on cars, just jap ones though Toyota, Honda, Nissan, etc.

3k in parts alone does sound like a lot, but I'm keen none the less to learn and work on European cars

26 minutes ago, DeadElmo said:

Thanks for the swift reply

Oh I know how to work on cars, just jap ones though Toyota, Honda, Nissan, etc.

3k in parts alone does sound like a lot, but I'm keen none the less to learn and work on European cars

Mate, if you're keen on a car you can learn on... let's say this is the best kind of car you can get for that! :)

EDIT: I was uncharitable earlier. It'll not only be a good car to learn on because it'll need so much work... This vintage car also has had probably anything and everything you'd want to do to it done to it by someone else, who's made a video guide detailing how to do it. 

Edited by Gabe79

If you do the maths, it doesnt make sense to go for a high mileage one for 3k because you will end up spending a good 2-3k on it then it owes you 6k when you can get one that is half the kms or at least around 180kms, msport kitted and probably just overall better for $6-8k. If you want a normal e46 and dont mind the cosmetic bodykit etc then go for the cheap one and make it nice to drive (all up 5-6k probably) otherwise if you want it to look proper with msport etc then you might as well start with something better. there are heaps of nice e46 330ci on the market at the moment for 8-10k just try bargain it down and you are away laughing.

btw, 330 > 328 any day. only 200cc difference on paper but different engine different beast.

• Like 1

Thanks qube

Don't mind the cosmetic. non-msport is fine for me. And I appreciate the thought

I only have 3k saved up, and intended to save more in the next few months, however I am in an unfortunate position where I need to buy a car in the next couple weeks. For this reason, I've changed my options to going for the 328i, although I much prefer the 330i. With that in mind, this is the only one within my range that's for sale now

Don't want to let it slip if nothing else comes up in next couple weeks

If thats the case, then go test drive that $3000 330ci. It might drive alright and you can slowly save and fix things as you go.

Have to start somewhere. 

How about looking at E39 sedans? They are generally cheaper and very nice cars

Here are a few 328 etc I could find:

https://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/used-cars/bmw/auction-1396884906.htm

https://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/used-cars/bmw/auction-1398236414.htm

https://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/used-cars/bmw/auction-1404762185.htm

• Like 1

Appreciate search qube!

Yeah I saw those ones. Pass on the Palmy one. I'm in Auckland and don't have a lot time to travel. Well not to Palmy anyway

Hoping to see how much more I can save and bargain down the 328ci. Otherwise the 325i it is

The E39 are definitely nice, but the e46 has that timeless look imo.

Given your previous comment though qube, I'll pass on the high mileage 330ci.
330 is desirable, but 328i is fine for me, power and looks wise

I never judge a car on k's myself, its just a number at the end of the day, how its been treated over the years is what matters..Chances are higher that more of the original parts have been replaced in that time compared to a ~200,000 example which would be probably be on tired\old suspension etc anyway. Age is also a factor here not just k's.

Personally id view and inspect it before writing it off.. These are all old cars with many owners so you never know whats they are like until you see them. For whats its worth at least half a dozen 80-90's BMW's ive owned had over 300,000km and ive got no regrets. I made sure i got them for a good price and they had strong engines are transmissions. I never mind doing a bit of suspension work (which is usually required).   

E46 would be cheaper to repair also esp suspension wise. 

• Like 3

Condition trumps k's (within reason)... go check out the $3k one... if it's a genuine car that's been maintained by an owner who's done a lot of work themselves it could be perfectly fine.

Your assuming there's no history, don't assume - pick up the phone and have a chat with the owner... after that you'll be in a position to decide whether it's worth a look; or whether it's not. If you "settle" for a 328 you'll always be wondering what might have been.

• Like 1