Sign in to follow this  
Poppyelizabeth

Gps is stuck in German.

We have a 2001 E39M5. The language displayed on the screen is in English, but when we try to do navigation, it's speaking to us in German. We have gone to settings and tried to change the language. The options are "USA" and "E" which changes the dashboard language to Spanish. Does anyone know why the "USA" option lets us read on English but talks to us in German, and is there anyway to change it? Thank you 

Wichita Falls?  It is probably best you ask on a US BMW forum such as bimmerforums.com 
This is a New Zealand BMW forum.  Our vehicles are specifically programmed for English.

It could be the Navigation disc you have.  German Nav Disc.

The Nav unit will be programmed to German,

From memory, go into settings/ press & hold menu button for about 8 seconds. This takes you into service mode. From memory language settings are in there. The Nav unit can hold 3 languages. 

My head unit on the Leaf is in Japanese. What I did was I googled the procedure I wanted, which was Bluetooth pairing in my case. Then found a video on YouTube showing how to pair a device in English. I just followed the video and the result was exactly the same. Try googling how to change language and watch and English language video and follow the same process?

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Gabe79 said:

My head unit on the Leaf is in Japanese. What I did was I googled the procedure I wanted, which was Bluetooth pairing in my case. Then found a video on YouTube showing how to pair a device in English. I just followed the video and the result was exactly the same. Try googling how to change language and watch and English language video and follow the same process?

Does the Leaf also have Japanese language on interior buttons?

14 minutes ago, Young Thrash Driver said:

Does the Leaf also have Japanese language on interior buttons?

Not for most buttons. I can post some pics for you tomorrow. 

Just now, Young Thrash Driver said:

Just idle curiosity- I am aware a lot of newer cars brought in ex Japan have Japan specific buttons here and there

The entire Nav unit is Japan specific. ?I can't even change the time on it. It syncs to Japan time. (I could hack it, but not worth the hassle for just changing the time)