Sign in to follow this  
gjm

Refurb - bolts

I'm refurbishing a set of 3-piece rims. It's going to be a long job - budget doesn't exist or I'd take them to Jas and have him do it. As it is, I've stripped them, and will have damage sorted before putting them back on the shelf waiting for inspiration, perspiration or a few $$$ to do more.

The bolts are not tidy. They're damaged as such, but if they were chrome they've discoloured.
I think Jas (and others would 'tumble' them, but is there any way for someone at home to clean them up, other than brushing and polishing 140 (or so) bolts by hand?

I soaked mine in white vinegar for a few days which removed everything. Then got them zinc coated for $1 each locally. 

• Like 1

You can make a home made tumbler with just parts from the shed.

Use a container of sand attached to a drill on slow speed.

24 minutes ago, zero said:

You can make a home made tumbler with just parts from the shed.

Use a container of sand attached to a drill on slow speed.

I'll look into that. 

Remember I mentioned the DIY soda blaster? I found a YouTube vid that shows almost exactly what I lashed together:

• Like 1

Soda blasting would be even better, as you are likely to do less damage to the bolt threads than using a tumbler.

You could get all the 140 bolts zinc coated for around $50.

I use a bench grinder with a wire brush wheel, takes everything off and you get pretty quick at it after a few, just dont let go!

9 hours ago, zero said:

Soda blasting would be even better, as you are likely to do less damage to the bolt threads than using a tumbler.

You could get all the 140 bolts zinc coated for around $50.

Supercheap want most of $100 for 4.5kg of media. I'm checking what a mineral supplies company wants for a 25kg sack. Wouldn't be surprised to find it is a similar price.

2 hours ago, aja540i said:

I use a bench grinder with a wire brush wheel, takes everything off and you get pretty quick at it after a few, just dont let go!

Wear leather gloves, and always stand slightly to one side! ;) 

Soda blasting uses baking soda, Pak n save is probably the cheapest place to get it!

Bin Inn will be cheap for baking soda

Ultrasonic cleaner will work - cheap ones on TM for as little as $20 but $60 should get you an okay one.

Tray size is important, you don't want to have to do every bolt individually.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, M3AN said:

Ultrasonic cleaner will work - cheap ones on TM for as little as $20 but $60 should get you an okay one.

Tray size is important, you don't want to have to do every bolt individually.

I'd been considering these. Used to use one back in the UK - got it when a lab at the University closed down. A little larger than the benchtop ones you get for ~$60 - I could fit a full set of carbs from my GS1000 in it with loads of room to spare.

Get them chrome plated (got mine done through Jasjot), look the best and last the longest hands down. Using a tumbler will wear the coating off and eventually they'll rust, as will wire wheel then polish.  I wasted a week of life with the drill and polish only for them to look like crap 2 weeks later..

1 hour ago, musccoo said:

Get them chrome plated (got mine done through Jasjot), look the best and last the longest hands down. Using a tumbler will wear the coating off and eventually they'll rust, as will wire wheel then polish.  I wasted a week of life with the drill and polish only for them to look like crap 2 weeks later..

That was partly why I was giving more serious consideration to the ultrasonic solution, or possibly soda blasting, assuming the finish on the bolts is OK. If they will need re-plating then the cleaning method becomes a little more academic.

Whatever you use, we demand before and after pics:D

• Like 2

This is my ally.

I can vapour blast nuts and bolts but it’s a bit of a prick and my hands cramp up from holding them under the blast stream.

But they do come out very very clean.

Soda. It’s a slow processes and is very messy unless you have a cabinet.

Cheap place to buy from are pool supply companies.  My day job is in a council pool and we use bicarb a lot for cleaning and pool alkalinity. Different suppliers have different sizes. but we buy it by the 500kg pallet so my price is very different. Its feed grade not food grade so that part of the cost is not there. As you are not eating it no point in paying for it.

Glass bead

I buy it in 25kg bags. Im happy to help out and supply small quantities for a good price if you want a kg or two. PM me.

Tumbler

Im currently looking in to a tumbler. Enabling me to clean up bolts and small parts to go to platers after. All steel parts get washed in a rust blocker that is coating safe so gives a bit of time before rust starts again. Looking at videos on you tube you would have to leave the bolts in the tumbler for many many hours, days even, in order for any damage to occur on the threads. It’s a slow process.

Plating in Auckland

I have heard and seen good results from Terei brothers. They still take small job lots from car guys, many others do not.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, zero said:

Whatever you use, we demand before and after pics:D

I'll see if I can get them done before you get an engine fitted. ;)

( I suspect it'll be a close-run thing! )

15 minutes ago, Mr Vapour said:

This is my ally.

Thanks Brent.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Mr Vapour said:

This is my ally.

<snip>

Great post, thanks.

Edited by M3AN
  • Like 1