Sign in to follow this  
Simca

WTB Manual e30 320i/325i coupe.

Hi all!

Looking for a manual 6 cyl e30 coupe. Got around 6k to spend. Preferably something unmolested and grandpa spec. Will probably have to keep looking for a while at this price point though. Might take an auto too if it's coupe 6 cyl and cheap enough. Preferably North Island.

Cheers

Edited by Simca

Bump. This an unrealistic price point? Anything 2 door and 6 cyl considered at this point.

I don't think your price point is unreasonable.

Finding a seller may be more difficult.

• Like 2

On 9/16/2017 at 3:58 PM, gjm said:

I don't think your price point is unreasonable.

Finding a seller may be more difficult.

Yeah it seems to be like that. Ah well, time is on my side, for now. Scanning Facebook, here, and other webforums, for anything, but it's hard to find someone willing to sell.

Just coz you might have been interested, even though Sedan (and it's way too late now anyway!):

I put Dads E30 up for sale nearly 2 years ago. It went on Trademe for $8500 no reserve, and $9300 buy now (IIRC) - first caller was a complete muppet - thought it should be cheaper because he may have to spend money on such an old car! Second caller was a "suitable" owner -, older professional gent, collects cars, offered $8K right now, sight unseen, no questions - us in Whangarei, him in CHCH. Money went in that night, collected a month later.

So certainly they are out there, but don't come up often. I think Dads would have been what you're looking for (if you want to keep it reasonably "grandpa spec"), and you may find just a touch more cash get's something really good, over something a bit average. None of them are very mint anymore, but there are some real stunners out there - I think they're going to appreciate more and more. A lot of E30's are just old shitters now - still OK cars, fun to drive etc, but the real original stunners are going to be the ones going up in value as real classics.

Good luck with the search anyway!

Edited by Allanw
  • Like 2

18 hours ago, Allanw said:

Just coz you might have been interested, even though Sedan (and it's way too late now anyway!):

I put Dads E30 up for sale nearly 2 years ago. It went on Trademe for $8500 no reserve, and $9300 buy now (IIRC) - first caller was a complete muppet - thought it should be cheaper because he may have to spend money on such an old car! Second caller was a "suitable" owner -, older professional gent, collects cars, offered $8K right now, sight unseen, no questions - us in Whangarei, him in CHCH. Money went in that night, collected a month later.

So certainly they are out there, but don't come up often. I think Dads would have been what you're looking for (if you want to keep it reasonably "grandpa spec"), and you may find just a touch more cash get's something really good, over something a bit average. None of them are very mint anymore, but there are some real stunners out there - I think they're going to appreciate more and more. A lot of E30's are just old shitters now - still OK cars, fun to drive etc, but the real original stunners are going to be the ones going up in value as real classics.

Good luck with the search anyway!

Wow that was a mint car. I mean I am looking for something as mint as I can find, but with grandpa spec I meant more unmolested and original rather than completely mint. I wouldn't mind something a bit rough around the edges as long as it wasn't too bad. I mean I am still trying to find a 6 cyl manual coupe for 6k-7k, and somewhere you have to make sacrifices, even if to me a car for that money already seems expensive.

• Like 1

Just now, Rob HB1 said:

have u seen the red plf gor under $6k ?

wait what do you mean by "plf gor"?

4 hours ago, Rob HB1 said:

preface lift

gor should have been for

Yeah that actually makes a lot of sense? Are you talking about the 4 door on trademe? It looks nice but I'm specifically looking for a 2 door.

How are the numbers on converting an auto 320 318 or 316? Certing would be an extra of course

My 320i manual to m52b28 swap cost me a touch under 5k including cert. I redid just about all of the brakes, so that was a decent chunk of the price. 

Should be able to do a m20b25 swap for much less. 

On 9/29/2017 at 6:38 PM, nick496 said:

My 320i manual to m52b28 swap cost me a touch under 5k including cert. I redid just about all of the brakes, so that was a decent chunk of the price. 

Should be able to do a m20b25 swap for much less. 

I mean I would be keen on an m52b28tu swap, it's been very documented all over the web so it wouldn't be an exact mystery on how to do it. When you say you redid the brakes do you mean you installed larger brakes or just went through and fixed everything? I was under the impression that 320s and 325s did have larger/better brakes than the 4 cyl models. That means as a base, unless you upgrade brakes, the 320s and 325s are better anyway for engine swaps right?

7 hours ago, Simca said:

I mean I would be keen on an m52b28tu swap, it's been very documented all over the web so it wouldn't be an exact mystery on how to do it. When you say you redid the brakes do you mean you installed larger brakes or just went through and fixed everything? I was under the impression that 320s and 325s did have larger/better brakes than the 4 cyl models. That means as a base, unless you upgrade brakes, the 320s and 325s are better anyway for engine swaps right?

When I say I redid the brakes I replaced all the hoses, the front rotors, and pads all around.

The 6 cylinders have larger front calipers to accept vented rotors. 

Unless I'm wrong , the 320, 318 and 325 I have in my drive all have the same brakes. All facelifts . I was wrong once though ?

9 hours ago, Simca said:

I was under the impression that 320s and 325s did have larger/better brakes than the 4 cyl models. That means as a base, unless you upgrade brakes, the 320s and 325s are better anyway for engine swaps right?

1 hour ago, agent75 said:

Unless I'm wrong , the 320, 318 and 325 I have in my drive all have the same brakes. All facelifts . I was wrong once though ?

in e30 land, 325i has bigger rotors than 320i, and fatter ARBs to boot.  The 320i was the heavier than the 318i, less economical, and lacked the flair of it's atheletic bigger brother (the 325i).

Edited by Olaf
  • Like 1

PM'd ya Simca

4 hours ago, Olaf said:

in e30 land, 325i has bigger rotors than 320i, and fatter ARBs to boot.  The 320i was the heavier than the 318i, less economical, and lacked the flair of it's atheletic bigger brother (the 325i).

Agreed on all counts.  I'll have to double check tonight the rotors. I could have sworn calipers and rotors are identical on all. They're  deff all vented

So if they're all the same that makes the 318 the best to use as a base for a swap, due to cheaper prices, right? It means I wouldn't have to hold out for a cheap auto 320/325 coupe, just for a cheap, decent auto fl 318 coupe. Does anyone know if the 318 manual box will mate with m20s or m52s?

318 m40 manual box mates with m50 and m52 but not m20. I will have 89 manual 318 coupe for sale soon!!! ?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, agent75 said:

318 m40 manual box mates with m50 and m52 but not m20. I will have 89 manual 318 coupe for sale soon!!! ?

Would the box be able to handle the power of the m52b28tu though?

They do, but things won't last long if you're wanting to drop skids. 

Have a search, many run the m40 box behind the m50/52, myself included. 

12 hours ago, Simca said:

So if they're all the same that makes the 318 the best to use as a base for a swap, due to cheaper prices, right? It means I wouldn't have to hold out for a cheap auto 320/325 coupe, just for a cheap, decent auto fl 318 coupe. Does anyone know if the 318 manual box will mate with m20s or m52s?

From memory, don't the 6 cylinder cars have bigger axles and struts also?

Bump, would proably also take an auto, as long as 6 cyl... Anyone have a look for difference between 6 and 4 cyl?