Sign in to follow this  
allan

Rim width

Could any one en-  lighten me to what the dis/advantages.would be in fitting a 225/45 x17 tyre to  any of the following rim widths 7,7.5,8,8.5 Have had a play with these on a wheel site and the only difference  was the weight of the set up or is their more to it Thanks

Assuming they're all 'sensible' fitments, the narrower rims will allow a little more sidewall flex, meaning more comfort.

Ok can see the reasoning behind that approach. Would the tyre rating play a part i.e 91, 94 in how much roll one got from the tyre as a 45 profile is pretty low..

Interesting, I am running a 255/35/18 on a 9 inch rim and was thinking about going to a 265 or even a 275 as BMW fitted these rims with a 275 from the factory but with a 50 aspect ratio tyre. I assume with a lower aspect ratio I shouldn't go quite as wide as  245/255 seems optimal. I wonder why BMW went wider?

Have a play on here http://www.rimsntires.com/specspro.jsp

using the 275 50 18 with an off set of 40 compared to a 255 it says you will have more clearance but your speedo will read slower. Any how have a play and see what you come up with.