Sign in to follow this  
YevJenko

Another newbie in Wellington

Thought about regular tires, but my missus world not agree with getting the compressor and goo out to fix a tire with kids in the car (she was already pissed at me that it didn't have a spare), so I went for Membat's for around 315 each

Although Euro surgeon and auto gravity do the conversions, they are both in Auckland and I'm in Wellie. Hoping to see if I can do something myself, maybe following their instructions... We'll see.

The person who came up with the idea of run flats should be tortured to death in a slow and inhumane manner for inflicting this idea on other humans.  I have several cars with run flats and every single time there are delays of up to a week or more getting replacements.   The cars are modern but the tyres are bloody difficut to find regardless of the cost.   I don't search for cheap tyres I just want new tyres.   If I didn't have a number of alternative cars I would be frequently without a car.  Here's hoping for karma to visit the son of a bitch who came up with the idea of run flats.

12 hours ago, YevJenko said:

Although Euro surgeon and auto gravity do the conversions, they are both in Auckland and I'm in Wellie. Hoping to see if I can do something myself, maybe following their instructions... We'll see.

Was under the impression Joe ( Euro Surgeon ) had a branch in wellie some where. So it's the dog box time for you then re no spare :P. best of luck on all fronts

Edited by allan
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, YevJenko said:

So... Didn't quite make it to Wellie...

One of the 4.5 yr old runflats blew in Paraparaumu, about 60k from Wellington, at 7pm. The problem being that it blew on the sidewall so no driving that bad boy home (stupid no spare). And the tow truck can only take 2 passengers, not a family of four. Luckily I borrowed a Honda rattle box of a friend up the road in Raumati and managed to get the family home, although my 8 yr old boy was upset at not being able to get the new car home (chip of the old block that one). Got Tony's tire service to beat an online quote so now have the car back today running two Spanish membat runflats on the back. They seem like good tires so will be changing the fronts as well.

Kiwi post say my cable and NCS expert will arrive Monday so I'll see what I can do with the keys, Japanese speech recognition and radio. Anyone know what we can do with the Jap navigation system?

if you intend to keep the run flats keep your options open.When i had my 120 d i could not get ANY run flats from my normal suppliers one xmas.I had to pay 400 odd bucks each for a couple of pirrelli runflats.Later that year i got the same tyres for about 250 each from my normal tyre man!I found the pirrellis quite compliant compared to the continentals and bridgestone s that were on it when i bough it.I had a runflat warning one morning on the way to work heading north sh2.I think i had just passed Belmont.I just slowed down a bit and kept going to WingateThere was no difference in the feel of the car albeit a bit slower than normal.However they would not repair it ,

• Like 1

On 17/09/2017 at 6:27 PM, kiwi535 said:

if you intend to keep the run flats keep your options open.When i had my 120 d i could not get ANY run flats from my normal suppliers one xmas.I had to pay 400 odd bucks each for a couple of pirrelli runflats.Later that year i got the same tyres for about 250 each from my normal tyre man!I found the pirrellis quite compliant compared to the continentals and bridgestone s that were on it when i bough it.I had a runflat warning one morning on the way to work heading north sh2.I think i had just passed Belmont.I just slowed down a bit and kept going to WingateThere was no difference in the feel of the car albeit a bit slower than normal.However they would not repair it ,

My tire pressure warning did not go off, even when the tire was completely flat. And I had checked the system status too in Auckland... 

I'm pretty happy with the Membats. In fact looking at the cracking in the front two Michelin's I'm going to get two more this week. They are about half the price I could get Michelin's fire and two thirds the price of the Bridgestone and Pirelli options. They are only a bit more than the useless ling long rubbish.

Edited by YevJenko

So the cable finally came and play time began. Have now successfully coded the radio to NZ/Euro standards, which worked straight away for rds, but you have to wait 15 mins for the tuner to be able to access the full frequency range and I thought I'd f'd it up. But it works, so happy beemer owner.

Also managed to turn off the stupid Japanese reverse Gong, but that was in a different place to what the other forums said. 

They're are so many ECU's to read, it's going to take a while to find the other things I want to change

Smithy if you still need the cable you can borrow it (plus laptop if needed) when you want. Pm me.

• Like 3