Sign in to follow this  
arcon

Tyre recommendations

Hi all - I will probably have both my rear tyres fail the next warrant. I currently have Bridgestone Potenza 050 17", don't know much about tyres though. What would you guys recommend in the 200-300 price range per tyre (don't need run flats), to give a good balance of performance & quiet.. Stick with the same or can you get better for the money?

2 hours ago, BM WORLD said:

bridgestone re003

Best all round tire when it comes to cost/performance/tire-life.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, BM WORLD said:

bridgestone re003

How much does a set of 5 of these run, roughly? 235/45/17

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Gabe79 said:

ring around and get some quotes guess around $800-1000

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, BM WORLD said:

ring around and get some quotes guess around $800-1000

Why doesn't Bridgestone publish prices online this country? :( 

What kind of longevity do people get out of these tyres? 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Gabe79 said:

They often have buy 3 get 1 free or buy one get one half price....... 

Just now, Gabe79 said:

I'm running 225/45/17 in the front with 3 -degrees camber and 0.20 deg total toe in have done about 10,000 km's and looks like i will get other 10,000 km's. The rears on the other hand, well that's other story :ph34r:

1 hour ago, Gabe79 said:

whats longevity mean to you when your in the ditch or a powerpole etc ,

go for stickyness over long life in tyres

i see so many bmw's coming in for wrecking that have a mixture or rubbish tyres , old tyres and very bald tyres etc .

32 minutes ago, BM WORLD said:

whats longevity mean to you when your in the ditch or a powerpole etc ,

go for stickyness over long life in tyres

i see so many bmw's coming in for wrecking that have a mixture or rubbish tyres , old tyres and very bald tyres etc .

I understand what you're saying and I agree entirely. I am just asking to have an idea of how often these would have to be changed. Once every 20k kilometers? every 10k? It gives an idea of cost over distance, that's all.

Hi Gabe, I've been running RE003's and am really impressed.  Not only are they sticky, and excellent in the wet, but I'm getting superb life out of them too.  Running on e46 (225/45/17 and 245/40/17), and e60 (245/40/18).

Well worth considering.  

Not all Firestone/Bridgestone tyre centres price the same.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Olaf said:

Hi Gabe, I've been running RE003's and am really impressed.  Not only are they sticky, and excellent in the wet, but I'm getting superb life out of them too.  Running on e46 (225/45/17 and 245/40/17), and e60 (245/40/18).

Well worth considering.  

Not all Firestone/Bridgestone tyre centres price the same.

Thanks for the feedback. I am swapping wheels later this month and will be getting new tyres then. Sounds like the right tyres to get. 

I did not realize they had different pricing. That makes a lot more sense now. This country is weird to adjust to sometimes, even a few years in!

Just now, Gabe79 said:

I did not realize they had different pricing. That makes a lot more sense now. This country is weird to adjust to sometimes, even a few years in!

many of them are privately owned.

Just now, Olaf said:

many of them are privately owned.

Ok, I can understand that... Why not have prices online? :(

because the fear is that other resellers  will use your price as a reference??

22 minutes ago, kiwi535 said:

because the fear is that other resellers  will use your price as a reference??

Erm, it'd be terrible if any. Businesses did this... they'd all go out of business!

The logic behind this concern baffles me. In his day and age I expect easy access to information on pricing. Shops that don't provide it simply don't even factor into my decision making process. I might be losing out on a slightly cheaper price by not calling around, but I save time on the other hand, so hard to say who lost out. 

In the case of tyres, I honestly would have bought from the US and imported, or gone to hyperdrive if it weren't for this thread. Now I'll give the two Bridgestone shops near me a call. I don't have direct recommendations like this for everything I buy, so I can safely say local businesses are losing out by not taking the time to have a website with prices stated. 

Edited by Gabe79

ell  there is a tyre business that do exactly that..Their MO is that they will "match" a price..I dont play that game .I demand that they give me their best price WITHOUT me telling them what other prices i have got.If it is the best price i have got to date mayl do it,if not i leave.I dont bargain I just get their best price and then leave.If it is the best price at the end of the shopping i will go back

And here you have hit on the break down of modern society.  No longer are we developing the social connections to people and local business, instead we demand that everything be available online for the cheapest price so that we don't need to meet a person, trust a business, support a family.

If everyone competes online, eventually you will buy your tyres from Amazon, your food from Amazon, your life, Amazon.

+1 RE003.

19 hours ago, GorGasm said:

And here you have hit on the break down of modern society.  No longer are we developing the social connections to people and local business, instead we demand that everything be available online for the cheapest price so that we don't need to meet a person, trust a business, support a family.

not me.  I found my supplier through the recommendation of a friend, while shopping around.  I found his price was very sharp, like the service, and always return.  I know he'll always give me a sharp price - and it may not always be the cheapest.  I return because if I don't, he won't be in business... and his service is excellent.  I maintain a social connection to a local business, and prefer that over using something like Hyper.

In fact I went to see him today, need a pair of RE003's for the rear of my e46. :)

PS:  Kelvin at Bridgestone Torrens Terrace.  Rated, recommended.

Edited by Olaf
  • Like 1

On 9/8/2017 at 8:27 PM, GorGasm said:

If everyone competes online, eventually you will buy your tyres from Amazon, your food from Amazon, your life, Amazon.

+1 RE003.

this is a face to face exercise ussually on a saturday morning involving three of four tyre places