Sign in to follow this  
MD13

Most expensive I've seen...

Personally I see this as a bit of a joke.
They really are just a normal E30 with body kit.  There is nothing special about them outside of aesthetics, some old crap shocks and an LSD.

For $30k you can have so much more fun in an E30.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Michael. said:

Definitely not. Very different cars, E30 era models were built at a time when simplicity and quality were king - the epitome of BMWs character. The newer era cars are built much cheaper, far less style aesthetically, and have a lot more complication alone, both not good for the longevity. 

Simplicity is relative, in the 80s EFI was smoke and mirror magic, 125kw was immense etc etc :D Quality is the same, If anything the newer cars are better built, arguably less "solid" with things like open deck ali/magnesium blocks, but hardly unreliable. Take a look at items like suspension arms, and the newer BMW's are light years ahead of pressed steel etc in E30s 325i's. In terms of production numbers, they are similar when apples-apples. Dynamically, E30s are great fun, but im sure a 1M is more fun! Im not bagging E30s at all, but the "old skool" movement at the moment has put them on a pedestal... probably more than anything due to the 3 box 80s styling and RWD manual combo.  A poverty pack E30 has crappy parts and average fit/finish, just like a poverty pack E90. 

Yep that's why carbs are still around, personally i generally view the 80-90's as providing the best balance of things. No question newer models are better built due to technology but build quality\built to last\longevity aren't usually priorities these days- environmental laws, emissions, safety standards, rising costs, more profits etc etc have seen to that.

Poverty spec or otherwise a brand new E30 vs E90, im sure the E30 would trump it in fit\finish dept. Besides the dash they generally have held up very well given their age. E90's are and will suffer everywhere from the typically BMW plastic failures and they still got 10+ years to catch the E30.    

• Like 1