Sign in to follow this  
Dr. M

WTB: E39 540i motorsport

As above, must be genuine motorsport. 

Steptronic OK, preferably newer than 2000.

Don't mind >200kms if well maintained. 

Willing to travel nationwide. 

Thanks

Might sell mine for the right price, whats your budget?

Yea it does seem like a good time to buy one. I liked the one that sold here; wasn't in the market at the time though.

Off to see the red one this week.

Thanks Lucan, looking to spend less than $5k. Let me know.

2 minutes ago, SmithyInWelly said:

Is this the one that was FS in Palmy a couple of months ago? For around $5 if I recall correctly?

No, it was this one which another forum member bought for what I can only guess is a steal.

Edited by Gabe79

20 minutes ago, Gabe79 said:

No, it was this one which another forum member bought for what I can only guess is a steal

I meant the rouge one in the TM link ;-) 

21 minutes ago, SmithyInWelly said:

I meant the rouge one in the TM link ;-) 

Oh my bad. Dunno the source of that one. I just found that link today.

• Like 1

I remember seeing it when I was considering options a couple of months back... I like that it's not silver/black and that interior could grow on you - after you've been violently ill once or twice lol 

• Like 1

Also considering a E39 525i or 530i M-sport if a good 540i doesn't come along, reckon they'd do instead? Gabriel are you pretty happy with yours?

Just now, Dr. M said:

Also considering a E39 525i or 530i M-sport if a good 540i doesn't come along, reckon they'd do instead? Gabriel are you pretty happy with yours?

I do like mine. I got it to learn to work on cars and it's been great for that. ?

Edit: in your position is look at these. 

https://www.trademe.co.nz/1413385335

and

https://www.trademe.co.nz/1409511266

preference to the Touring for me.

might be worthwhile looking at a 330i too. Some good examples on trademe right now.

Edited by Gabe79

Ooo the old 530i vs 540i debate, has been covered alot in the past.

Having had a 530i previously I do prefer the 540i - exhaust note is nicer and accelerates/pulls better. Fuel efficiency is an issue (short, low speed commutes for me).

33 minutes ago, Lucan said:

Ooo the old 530i vs 540i debate, has been covered alot in the past.

Having had a 530i previously I do prefer the 540i - exhaust note is nicer and accelerates/pulls better. Fuel efficiency is an issue (short, low speed commutes for me).

It isn't really a debate for me at all. I have watched hundreds of videos on the I6. It's the only engine I know. I'd have to start from scratch for the V8. Mind, I'll learn a new engine when I get an e39 m5 someday. ?

• Like 2

I thought the main difference in the e39 for 530-540, was (apart from the V8 differences) was in the steering.  Rack and Pinion (530), Recirc Ball (540).  Changes the steering feel between them.  Is this correct, or a misconception on my part?

I understand the e60 has a rack regardless of power unit.  

Yes to the E39. Makes the six steering more precise. Dunno on the E60

• Like 1

7 hours ago, hotwire said:

Yes to the E39. Makes the six steering more precise. Dunno on the E60

my 545i has a rack.  "nice rack!" B)

What about the extra 60 odd kgs being lugged around for the want of two more cylinder. etc ;) . not a far comparison E39, E60 two different beast's

Edited by allan

Having both a 6 and an 8, the 530 is a very very fine car, and just easier etc as a daily, nimble, grunty enough, bit more fuel efficient, same creature comforts, etc etc.  If I was in a position where I had to go down to one car, it would be a very difficult choice but I fear the 530 would win out all round (except for the badge)... I'd be looking at that nice blue individual 530 on Mpars and beating him down on price (after a thorough inspection...).

Individual.jpg

22 hours ago, Olaf said:

I thought the main difference in the e39 for 530-540, was (apart from the V8 differences) was in the steering.  Rack and Pinion (530), Recirc Ball (540).  Changes the steering feel between them.  Is this correct, or a misconception on my part?

I understand the e60 has a rack regardless of power unit.  

I believe the 530i also had aluminium suspension components as opposed to the heavier steel ones in the 540i.

I got rid of my 530i in early 2014, it was an excellent car I'd happily have another. 

The 540 has aluminium suspension components 

I love 540s.  I don't find the steering an issue personally as they're not exactly a proper sport car  

I want to get another 540 in the future but only want a manual one 

• Like 1

People who have decided to settle for the straight six always drag out the old steering comparison!! ;) It's not enough of a difference to ruin the V8 ownership experience, the noise and the torque more than make up for it, the fuel bills however......

• Like 5

Decided to settle for?!?! Mate, I prefer the straight six ;)

It's one of those things, you have to test drive both as they are quite different and so you have to find which suits you better. We can probably all agree the 535i V8 is crap tho

• Like 4