Sign in to follow this  
treone

Locked out of E53 X5 - How do I get in??

Went to open the X5 this morning to head to work.

Put the key in the drivers door lock - and it spins freely. Key was 'stuck' before eventually pulling it out. gave a couple more tries, each time key spins and sticks when trying to remove. After some 'jiggling' it eventually comes out. Except the last time it comes out along with the lock barrel - arrgh! I have one 'remote' key that does not work - i.e. it doesn't lock or unlock remotely hence using the drivers door lock.

So the question is how the heck to I unlock the thing? As far as I can see there are other manual locks either on the passengers door or tailgate. Now BMW must've thought of this and built in a back up system.(and no I'm not going to break a window unless its the ultimate last resort :angry:).

I need to at least unlock it then I can get the lock/barrel sorted. - Any ideas whee I can get this done?

All suggestions are most  welcome...

yea pain ,

not really suppose to use the locks on all these newer bmws , they will all break ,

you should be using the remote buttons on the key , and if they are not working get them sorted .

you can make a mess of the lock then turn the latch part with a screw driver .

so new lock and key will be required , or smash a window ?

try prying the top of the door open , use a plastic wedge , get a wire in there to pull the door handle or push the central lock button

can do a door glass $120 front or $90 rear , don't do the quarter glass (much harder to change)

call me if you like

When you have your locked door sorted, I'd be happy to help you code new keys that actually work. :)

Thanks @BM WORLD. I will have a go at trying the screw driver method or pry the top of the door a little bit. I only need to open it at this stage, then I can get the lock and key sorted. I'm trying to avoid break a glass if I can... may give you a call later this arvo when I get home and give it a go.

Do I need to go the the stealership to get a new lock?

Thanks @Gabe79 will cross that bridge when I get to it... I've been meaning to get a second key for a while haha - might be worthwhile getting a set of them. Any suggests where to get them other than the dealership? I have the older style (not diamond head) two button remote.

1 hour ago, treone said:

Thanks @BM WORLD. I will have a go at trying the screw driver method or pry the top of the door a little bit. I only need to open it at this stage, then I can get the lock and key sorted. I'm trying to avoid break a glass if I can... may give you a call later this arvo when I get home and give it a go.

Do I need to go the the stealership to get a new lock?

Thanks @Gabe79 will cross that bridge when I get to it... I've been meaning to get a second key for a while haha - might be worthwhile getting a set of them. Any suggests where to get them other than the dealership? I have the older style (not diamond head) two button remote.

Message me a pic of your key. Both sides.  I'll link the kind you can get. Theyre cheap on eBay. About $15 each delivered. Then coding is free and cutting runs you from $20-$75each depending on how friendly your locksmiths are. 

Edit: when I say coding is free, I am offering to do it for you for free. 

Edited by Gabe79

The key issue has been discussed before and their are a number of out lets for them. top end key cutting places, e-bay, dealerships and no doubt others As for the lock barrel it's self that could require a strip down and check to see what part has failed and maybe just a change of the pins to get it up and running. The problem comes with the electronics and the frequency.used, transponder chips then getting them to work properly. As real pain to have this happen and find that the lock will fail when used with a key to often a real let down.From my own experience I purchased two blank diamond shaped keys having the three buttons from ebay around $100 for the two.Had them cut $48 each from memory. Then a member programmed the transponder chip and synced the remote access part. Sure some one will be able to help with the electronic side you just need to get hold of some new keys best of luck.

Edited by allan

Thanks for all the replies - I have some work to do! @Gabe79 I will post some pics of my key later this arvo/evening - appreciate your help.

Alternative is to suck it up and order a key from the dealership for about $400 :(

Just now, treone said:

Thanks for all the replies - I have some work to do! @Gabe79 I will post some pics of my key later this arvo/evening - appreciate your help.

Alternative is to suck it up and order a key from the dealership for about $400 :(

Don't buy from the dealership until we at least try. I have sorted my own and some members' keys for $15+cutting cost per key. I don't see why we won't be able to do that with yours. (pending seeing yours)

56 minutes ago, Gabe79 said:

Don't buy from the dealership until we at least try. I have sorted my own and some members' keys for $15+cutting cost per key. I don't see why we won't be able to do that with yours. (pending seeing yours)

Sounds like a great plan! Will post again when I' home 

Their you go sounds like a plan may be being a bit forward Treone but buy that man a beer ;)

1 hour ago, allan said:

Their you go sounds like a plan may be being a bit forward Treone but buy that man a beer ;)

For sure! :D

Good news - a neighbour managed to get it unlocked. after 2hrs of wiggling and jiggling a wire to hook the handle (which we managed to do). It wouldn't unlock after two pulls. Then the neighbour puts a flat head down where the lock barrel should be, a push and a twist the viola! it opens! and no need to break a window - bonus! 

Thanks for the suggestion to wedge open the door @BM WORLD this enabled us to get a wire in to hook the handle. Unfortunately I don't have the right tools to pull and release it properly, they don't make coat hangers like they used too :rolleyes:.

I can honestly say that it is easier to do with 2-3 people than just one!

Now I'm left to get the barrel and key sorted -sigh haha. But lucky I get the Monaro back tomorrow...

@Gabe79 - here's a pic of my key. Hope you can advise what type I need.

Cheers!

IMG_0975.JPG

IMG_0976.JPG

34 minutes ago, treone said:

For sure! :D

Good news - a neighbour managed to get it unlocked. after 2hrs of wiggling and jiggling a wire to hook the handle (which we managed to do). It wouldn't unlock after two pulls. Then the neighbour puts a flat head down where the lock barrel should be, a push and a twist the viola! it opens! and no need to break a window - bonus! 

Thanks for the suggestion to wedge open the door @BM WORLD this enabled us to get a wire in to hook the handle. Unfortunately I don't have the right tools to pull and release it properly, they don't make coat hangers like they used too :rolleyes:.

I can honestly say that it is easier to do with 2-3 people than just one!

Now I'm left to get the barrel and key sorted -sigh haha. But lucky I get the Monaro back tomorrow...

@Gabe79 - here's a pic of my key. Hope you can advise what type I need.

Cheers!

IMG_0975.JPG

IMG_0976.JPG

https://www.ebay.com/itm/172098543489 

This will do you. I have one spare here if you're hard up right now. It is a different type than mine, so you're welcome to it. I ordered it by mistake awhile back. We can code the spare I have here for you and if it works, you can order more if you want. 

Edit: I don't know why the link doesn't work. I'll fix when I'm in front of a computer. 

Edited by Gabe79

Just now, Gabe79 said:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/172098543489 

This will do you. I have one spare here if you're hard up right now. It is a different type than mine, so you're welcome to it. I ordered it by mistake awhile back. We can code the spare I have here for you and if it works, you can order more if you want. 

Edit: I don't know why the link doesn't work. I'll fix when I'm in front of a computer. 

Awesome! If the one you've got will do the trick then I'm pretty keen to take it out of convenience. Let me know what you would like for the key etc. PM me if that's easier.

And what's required to get the coding done?

Really do appreciate all the comments and help from everyone as well!

• Like 1

I'm assuming as well that remote lock/unlock/arming/disarming will work with a busted door barrel?

Edited by treone

1 minute ago, treone said:

Awesome! If the one you've got will do the trick then I'm pretty keen to take it out of convenience. Let me know what you would like for the key etc. PM me if that's easier.

And what's required to get the coding done?

Really do appreciate all the comments and help from everyone as well!

I need your ews module. In person or by post. Takes maybe 30 minutes. 

1 minute ago, treone said:

I'm assuming as well that remote lock/unlock/arming/disarming will work with a busted door barrel?

You might have to use your other doors if you broke your mechanism, but the remote will work anyway. ?

10 hours ago, Gabe79 said:

I need your ews module. In person or by post. Takes maybe 30 minutes. 

You might have to use your other doors if you broke your mechanism, but the remote will work anyway. ?

Coool! I will need to post it to you as we are in opposite ends of the island lol. Let me figure out (i.e. google haha) the location of, and how to remove, the ews module and then I will touch base for postage details. Probably be a weekend thing to remove...

1 hour ago, treone said:

Coool! I will need to post it to you as we are in opposite ends of the island lol. Let me figure out (i.e. google haha) the location of, and how to remove, the ews module and then I will touch base for postage details. Probably be a weekend thing to remove...

No fuss. Once you know where it is, it's a quick job in and out to remove, and put back in.

On 9/13/2017 at 8:57 AM, Gabe79 said:

No fuss. Once you know where it is, it's a quick job in and out to remove, and put back in.

dammit - just realised you could have saved me a bit of $ on my keys! was hunting around for some one that had an EWS key coder!

Yay - got the ews module out today. And no it doesn't take 1.06m alike it does in the youtube video haha. Now to get a key sorted... :D

Also found some interesting wiring patch ups that weren't factory :(. who knows what's been done