Sign in to follow this  
Gabe79

Blue 2003 530i Touring

https://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/used-cars/bmw/auction-1417088957.htm

Carjam here.

It ticks all my boxes for my unicorn, even if it is a bit of a damaged specimen. If the starting point is that it needs shocks, I can only imagine what else it needs...

It even has isofix! 

What's with the non-Facelift headlights? 

Anyone in Rotorua who could look at it for me? :)

VINWBADS62070GL81796

Type Code DS62

E Series E39 (2)

Series 5

Type TOUR

Steering RL

Doors 5

Engine M54

Displacement 3.00

Power 170

Drive HECK

Transmission AUT

Colour TOLEDOBLAU METALLIC (482)

Upholstery STANDARDLEDER/BEIGE E36 SANDBEIGE E (N6SN)

Prod. Date 2002-12-09

Vehicle options

L807ANATIONAL VERSION JAPAN

S202ASteptronic

S204ADrive layout, export

S220ASelf-levelling suspension

S249AMultifunction f steering wheel

S261ASide airbags for rear passengers

S354AGreen windscreen, green shade band

S361ABMW LA wheel, parallel spoke 82

S386ARoof railing

S403AGlass roof, electrical

S423AFloor mats, velours

S428AWarning triangle and first aid kit

S430AInterior/outside mirror with auto dip

S431AInterior mirror with automatic-dip

S441ASmoker package

S459ASeat adjuster, electric, with memory

S470AIsofix-System

S473AArmrest front

S494ASeat heating driver/passenger

S500AHeadlight wipe/wash/Intensive cleaning

S520AFog lights

S521ARain sensor

S522AXenon Light

S534AAutomatic air conditioning

S548AKilometer-calibrated speedometer

S555AOn-board computer V with remote control

S601ATV function

S609ANavigation system Professional

S646APreparation f teleph.installation Japan

S676AHiFi speaker system

S694AProvisions for BMW 6 CD changer

S773AFine wood trim

S818ABattery master switch

S823AHot-climate version

S845AAcoustic belt warning

S853ALanguage version English

S876ARadio frequency 315 MHz

S925ADummy-SALAPA

S992AControl of number-plate attachment

The could have been swapped out as a production date of 12/2002 would have though it would be a face lift. The usual pre look,a drive,PPI cost of the repairs needed etc etc. If the front struts are due then a whole suspension rebuild is likely although didn't some tourings have self leveling rear suspension? and that could be even worse If the touring is as bad for visibility when backing as the sedan a rear camera of PDC would be a must but it is reasonable cheap.

What unicorn boxes does it tick? Because to me non msport e39's on standard wheels are a bit too pedestrian.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, eliongater said:

What unicorn boxes does it tick? Because to me non msport e39's on standard wheels are a bit too pedestrian.

Blue, 2003, 530i, touring.

I ended up with msport2 as a fluke and I resent it intensely. Parts cost more for no benefit to me. 

That said, wife now says "that's an ugly blue."

2 hours ago, allan said:

The could have been swapped out as a production date of 12/2002 would have though it would be a face lift. The usual pre look,a drive,PPI cost of the repairs needed etc etc. If the front struts are due then a whole suspension rebuild is likely although didn't some tourings have self leveling rear suspension? and that could be even worse If the touring is as bad for visibility when backing as the sedan a rear camera of PDC would be a must but it is reasonable cheap.

All e39 tourings have self levelling rear suspension, still has shock absorbers though.

1 hour ago, Gabe79 said:

Blue, 2003, 530i, touring.

I ended up with msport2 as a fluke and I resent it intensely. Parts cost more for no benefit to me. 

That said, wife now says "that's an ugly blue."

you're lucky.  at the time, my wife said "those e39's are ugly.  buy something else."  and the e46 was later acquired.

Toledo Blue is different. Not so keen on that leather interior, but its a *leather interior!*.  Which for child-ferrying duties, is the bomb.  It's so, soooooo much easier to clean vomit out of a leather interior than a cloth interior.  Ask me how I know!! :rolleyes:

I reckon allowing for the usual M54 neglect, some brakes and shock work, it's pretty good buying at a shade under $3k, if you're looking for a wagon for family or utility duties.

• Like 1

Just now, Olaf said:

you're lucky.  at the time, my wife said "those e39's are ugly.  buy something else."  and the e46 was later acquired.

Toledo Blue is different. Not so keen on that leather interior, but its a *leather interior!*.  Which for child-ferrying duties, is the bomb.  It's so, soooooo much easier to clean vomit out of a leather interior than a cloth interior.  Ask me how I know!! :rolleyes:

I reckon allowing for the usual M54 neglect, some brakes and shock work, it's pretty good buying at a shade under $3k, if you're looking for a wagon for family or utility duties.

I agree completely. The problem is I need wife buy-in for these things. She feels like she got the raw end on the silver saloon and I can't blame her. I rushed in. I've learned a lot since then though and whilst I'd be happy getting this, if she wouldn't, I'll pass. At $3k it'd probably be a good buy and I like that is isn't Msport!

Just now, Gabe79 said:

I need wife buy-in for these things. She feels like she got the raw end on the silver saloon and I can't blame her. ....whilst I'd be happy getting this, if she wouldn't, I'll pass. 

you're a wise man! :)

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, BreakMyWindow said:

It has got facelift lights, just that the indicators aren't clear like on msport versions.

Wow, I never noticed that. You are obviously right. I thought clear sides were facelift, but that is msport facelift, isn't it? Lame. That's about the only mod I'd want on one of these then! :)

I replaced the front struts, spring pads, shock mounts etc on my 03 non M Touring for about $500, so it's not a deal breaker if you get it cheap enough.

The beige interior might take some getting used to...

Just now, Young Thrash Driver said:

I replaced the front struts, spring pads, shock mounts etc on my 03 non M Touring for about $500, so it's not a deal breaker if you get it cheap enough.

The beige interior might take some getting used to...

I don't mind the mechanicals at all. The deal breaker is that my wife says the colour reminds her of Kiruna, in Sweden which is the dreariest, most depressing place we've ever been. I can't buy this. :) 

21 hours ago, Gabe79 said:

Wow, I never noticed that. You are obviously right. I thought clear sides were facelift, but that is msport facelift, isn't it? Lame. That's about the only mod I'd want on one of these then! :)

I think if you were really particular you could order clear indicator lenses, unless it was restricted by law.

1 hour ago, BreakMyWindow said:

I think if you were really particular you could order clear indicator lenses, unless it was restricted by law.

I would. Alas, this car is off the table for me anyway. :)

1 hour ago, Gabe79 said:

Under $2500. Someone snap this up. 

Didn't sell.

31 minutes ago, gjm said:

Didn't sell.

It's on offer now for $2495. I would love to get this, if the wife wouldn't kill me at the other end. :)

I dont see the appeal myself tbh

It is quite cheap and if I was able to live with the cosmetics of a non msport with tan interior it might be alright but if I wanted it nice with msport kit etc and the maintenance side of things etc, i could spend $6000 on this car and still wont be happy with the outcome.. 

If it was really a bargain I reckon it would have been sold long ago, the fact that its still available shows its not that desirable imo.

Just now, qube said:

I dont see the appeal myself tbh

It is quite cheap and if I was able to live with the cosmetics of a non msport with tan interior it might be alright but if I wanted it nice with msport kit etc and the maintenance side of things etc, i could spend $6000 on this car and still wont be happy with the outcome.. 

If it was really a bargain I reckon it would have been sold long ago, the fact that its still available shows its not that desirable imo.

For a daily driver, even if you have to replace the engine and transmission, you wouldn't spend another $3k on it. 

I understand the appeal of Msport, even if it isn't for me... But it has only been for sale for a couple of weeks now, and it's quite out of the way, so I wouldn't judge it on how long it's been for sale alone, at least not yet.

It certainly doesn't look like a well loved car, condition described as "average" which looks to be that at best.

Gabe - whats the issue with the Msport?

5 hours ago, Gabe79 said:

For a daily driver, even if you have to replace the engine and transmission, you wouldn't spend another $3k on it. 

I understand the appeal of Msport, even if it isn't for me... But it has only been for sale for a couple of weeks now, and it's quite out of the way, so I wouldn't judge it on how long it's been for sale alone, at least not yet.

You'd easy sink 3k into it you going to bring it up to a decent standard. He states it needs new front shocks so you'd can assume its going to need a good suspension overhaul and no doubt other bits and pieces  (they all do at around those k's\age)

I've probably dropped around 4k on parts to get mine driving as it should along with some preventive maintenance.. Mine being the sedan brother of this car but with a motor sport kit and steering wheel,  4k would be the asking price if i sell it. I don't think wagons have as much of an appeal as the sedans myself hence the pricing.   

Dunno on the Tourings having less appeal or being priced cheaper than the sedan, Decent examples that i have seen have had a premium over a sedan. Even though having a sedan, I think the touring has better lines & is more practical.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, hotwire said:

Dunno on the Tourings having less appeal or being priced cheaper than the sedan, Decent examples that i have seen have had a premium over a sedan. Even though having a sedan, I think the touring has better lines & is more practical.

I fully agree that the wagon is more practical, and that's my goal at some stage to end up with a pretty-blue (wife requirements, I can't argue too much...) e39 wagon.

3 hours ago, hotwire said:

It certainly doesn't look like a well loved car, condition described as "average" which looks to be that at best.

Gabe - whats the issue with the Msport?

No real issue with Msport. Just not something that makes that much of a difference to me and my driving, but it does make parts more expensive. The positives are nice to have, the negatives are too expensive. :)