Sign in to follow this  
Gabe79

Blue 2003 530i Touring

@Gabe79 I'm not sure this msport tax exists like you think it does (m tax yes, msport no).

I fail to see how cosmetic features, parts that don't break (springs, sway bars etc) and other options that you can have on non mspec cars cost more to maintain. The one exception might be sport shocks cost more, but this has self levelling suspension which is equally expensive if not more so, making it a moot point.

Edit: I'd like to see your more expensive parts on your mtech 2. And I agree with your wife that this isn't the most visually interesting e39

Edited by eliongater

Yeah, it does look like a shocker.

Better ones out there for sure.

1 hour ago, eliongater said:

@Gabe79 I'm not sure this msport tax exists like you think it does (m tax yes, msport no).

I fail to see how cosmetic features, parts that don't break (springs, sway bars etc) and other options that you can have on non mspec cars cost more to maintain. The one exception might be sport shocks cost more, but this has self levelling suspension which is equally expensive if not more so, making it a moot point.

Edit: I'd like to see your more expensive parts on your mtech 2. And I agree with your wife that this isn't the most visually interesting e39

Maybe it's perception on my part. The bumpers specially are harder to replace, or source.

Sway Bars don't break, true, moot point on bushings.

Springs cost more, sports shock for Msport2 costs a lot more. Air springs are not that expensive on balance. The air supply device does cost an arm and a leg, but unlike sport shocks/struts, can be replaced individually. 

Maybe you're right. I'm just bitter about how much my damn bumper costs to replace. :) (and my comment about msport not really benefiting me stands otherwise.)

@Gabe79 a bumper is not what I would class as a wear and tear item (ie general maintenance), but I will give you that.

However regards to suspension, a quick look on FCP suggests there's not too much in it, but why not go bilstein, koni or similar (and eibach, h&r etc)?

Just now, eliongater said:

@Gabe79 a bumper is not what I would class as a wear and tear item (ie general maintenance), but I will give you that.

However regards to suspension, a quick look on FCP suggests there's not too much in it, but why not go bilstein, koni or similar (and eibach, h&r etc)?

I will eventually. I just like the idea of keeping things stock. I mean... if I go with an aftermarket solution anyway, what was the point of getting mtech2 in the first place?

13 minutes ago, Gabe79 said:

I will eventually. I just like the idea of keeping things stock. I mean... if I go with an aftermarket solution anyway, what was the point of getting mtech2 in the first place?

Body kit, normally better spec'd, sports seats, Shadowline, anthracite headlining, better wheels etc. The actual suspension is not normally a consideration if it's original, as any suspension that old has probably seen better days regardless of if it's Mtech or not.

54 minutes ago, eliongater said:

Body kit, normally better spec'd, sports seats, Shadowline, anthracite headlining, better wheels etc. The actual suspension is not normally a consideration if it's original, as any suspension that old has probably seen better days regardless of if it's Mtech or not.

Ok, valid. :) I give.

• Like 1

i think you should buy it.. for $1500 surely the wife isnt going to be too mad about it

17 minutes ago, qube said:

i think you should buy it.. for $1500 surely the wife isnt going to be too mad about it

You haven't met my wife.

13 hours ago, Gabe79 said:

$1500 is blown head gasket territory. 

https://www.trademe.co.nz/1427953777

Now it’s suspicious. ?

But the owner says it runs & drives well. It can't have a blown head gasket:ph34r:

I'm tempted for shits & giggles. Not that i need another car...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, hotwire said:

But the owner says it runs & drives well. It can't have a blown head gasket:ph34r:

I'm tempted for shits & giggles. Not that i need another car...

For that price, if I didn't have wife considerations, I'd buy it. You could wreck it and make money back at $1500. Also... if he's asking $1500, he'll take $1000-1200. :)

Jeez...

Piston rings can carbon-up and need replacing, along with PCV.
Cooling system can be a problem.
Hydraulic lifters can carbon up and cause a misfire, and if so, will need replacing.
Not the longest-lived of BMW engines, but easily good for 300k+.

It's a solid $600 for a new pair of front Bilstein B4s, but they'll then probably outlive the car.

But at the price... I'm tempted.

2 minutes ago, gjm said:

Jeez...

Piston rings can carbon-up and need replacing, along with PCV.
Cooling system can be a problem.
Hydraulic lifters can carbon up and cause a misfire, and if so, will need replacing.
Not the longest-lived of BMW engines, but easily good for 300k+.

It's a solid $600 for a new pair of front Bilstein B4s, but they'll then probably outlive the car.

But at the price... I'm tempted.

At $1500 you can budget in a lot of things to do to it and still come out well under $5k...

9 hours ago, Gabe79 said:

At $1500 you can budget in a lot of things to do to it and still come out well under $5k...

Does it represent a better buy than a decent E36 328i Touring at ~$3k?
That probably depends on whether you need the extra capacity - internally, as well as for towing.

3 minutes ago, gjm said:

That probably depends on whether you need the extra capacity - internally, as well as for towing.

I’d certainly say 2003 e39 at $1500 or less is a better buy than e36 at $3k. Whole new generation of car. Safety features, etc... 

edit: this assumes a reasonable condition for both. If the e36 is mint... but then an e36 for $3k isn’t mint either, right?

Edited by Gabe79

45 minutes ago, gjm said:

blimey, who can find a decent e36 328i Touring at circa $3k in godzone?  I'd buy one of them for my kids!

Just now, Olaf said:

blimey, who can find a decent e36 328i Touring at circa $3k in godzone?  I'd buy one of them for my kids!

https://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/used-cars/bmw/auction-1425483607.htm 

The 530i looks like it has a huge amount of stone chips on it 

• Like 1

Just now, gjm said:

Damn. There goes my bargain! ;)

Its been for sale for months!

I think the 530i may have sold - now listed at $15000...

Just now, gjm said:

I think the 530i may have sold - now listed at $15000...

$1500 was pretty cheap. Not surprised. It was only for sale for a couple of weeks too.