Sign in to follow this  
kwhelan

Millennials in the Workplace

And people blame the government for the country's depression and suicide problems. Get off ya f**kin phone / facebook and go play outside.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, m325i said:

I get the impression most millennials left BS for FB groups. 

Yep. And I'm glad they did. 

• Like 2

I was born in 96... Apparently, I'm a member of "iGen" according to that article.

(sent from a PC and not my iPhone :P )

• Like 1

1 minute ago, eliongater said:

I was born in 96... Apparently, I'm a member of "iGen" according to that article.

(sent from a PC and not my iPhone :P )

You drive an E28.

The exception that proves the rule. :)

• Like 2

Love Simon, he's a great speaker with awesome insights

1 hour ago, gjm said:

You drive an E28.

The exception that proves the rule. :)

I'll take that as a compliment. To back you up, I don't know anyone else my age driving an E28 (especially not a *cough* grandpa *cough* spec one)

• Like 1

This guy is spot on. 

In many ways it's a sad time. All the Iphones etc........ and us chatting here... on the internet has stuffed many people. 

Actually I think the internet on the computer with forums is not anything as harmful as the portable nature of smart phones. 

At nearly 28, I miss the days when you could only check your emails on a desktop or laptop, for example. 

1 hour ago, eliongater said:

I'll take that as a compliment. To back you up, I don't know anyone else my age driving an E28 (especially not a *cough* grandpa *cough* spec one)

It is. Take the path less trodden, that sort of thing.

I was 18 when I bought my first Mercedes. A particularly ratty 1960s 4-door with a 4.5 V8 and 4-speed manual gearbox. (Turns out it was a bitsa - Mercedes never made a car in that spec.) It may have needed bump-starting more than was reasonable, but when your mates have a Mini Metro or something similarly crap and you can throw a Merc keyring on the table, people pay attention!

Back on topic (sorta) - when we go on hols I have my phone with me. Switched off. If you want to sleep better, turn your mobile off before going to bed. Don't put it on silent - off. Your brain knows it'll not ring and can actually relax.
It's nice to get away from technology.

• Like 1

It's brilliant pop psychology for millennials, but I agree with most of his points for sure. I have FB but barely post, no Instagram or Snap Chat (which I think is the ultimate of the self gratification apps in terms of instant hit) and no alerts on my phone for anything but phone calls. I probably spend more time on here or reading other forums, if I'm on my laptop.

Just watched the video.  Yep, he's on-message with a view that has been circulating for years.  What?  I get a dopamine hit when you get a text?  Oh f%#k off.  I'm a gen-X er, I'm happy having the technology marvel that is SMS (which I started using in '98) and these days my smart phone... but the notion of needing txt hits? Pah.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Olaf said:

Just watched the video.  Yep, he's on-message with a view that has been circulating for years.  What?  I get a dopamine hit when you get a text?  Oh f%#k off.  I'm a gen-X er, I'm happy having the technology marvel that is SMS (which I started using in '98) and these days my smart phone... but the notion of needing txt hits? Pah.

think he was more referring to FB likes but your missing the point.

your too old to be affected as like me you have a natural cynicism and were brought up differently

If you can't see it happening around you,at any restaurant,childrens playground or just shopping your blind, the way it is affecting young minds in their formative years will be completely irreversible, its quite sad

swimming lessons the other night with grandson, they all swim a length,and look up, I give the thumbs up he was so desperately looking for

the rest of the bench was playing angry birds or whatever, F&$king adults are arseholes,

they will pay when that kid becomes a teenager and doesn't give a rats ass about them or has depression issues

• Like 3

Thanks Kevin.  I'm not missing the point.  And, he was in fact mentioning TXT - and then followed on to advance his argument to encompass social media including Facebook.  He did not specify that dopamine hits were the preserve of a young generation only; he used 'we'.  I took this to include 'us'; human beings.

I'm having a little trouble with your grammar; in your third para I'm unsure if you're suggesting that what you observe is sad, or that my aparrent inability to observe this social phenomena is sad.  You could clarify if you felt like it; though I can't promise you likes or even a text.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, Michael. said:

At nearly 28, I miss the days when you could only check your emails on a desktop or laptop, for example. 

I miss 28 :(

• Like 3

when I was 28 I was living abroad, had a modem and internet access, email, and people used to call me up international to get my email address so they could message me from their flash new account at work that had an email gateway!  "wow, man, have you got an email address?  I just got email at work, that'd be a cool way to be in touch".  those were the days.  

• Like 4

13 hours ago, Olaf said:

I'm having a little trouble with your grammar; in your third para I'm unsure if you're suggesting that what you observe is sad, or that my aparrent inability to observe this social phenomena is sad.  You could clarify if you felt like it; though I can't promise you likes or even a text.

hey nothing judgemental at all

sad for the kids, well us all probably, as it makes them more narsistic and the communication without face to face lowers their general empathy levels YES GENERALISATION HERE

and your right, two notifications/likes this morning, I'm a winner today

but I wasn't checking it every 5 mins and worrying about it all night like a lot of kids do 

BTW did you read the other article i linked, its similar but perhaps more detailed

there is a good rebuttal to it here to maybe provide some balance

I found them quite interesting and have had discussions with others about it for some time before reading them.

A recent trip to Hong kong and Singapore watching people on subways and public monuments was quite an eye opener

just watching  someone take over 100 shots of their family members on a 10 min gondola ride and about 5 of the scenery made me ill

On 9/15/2017 at 6:06 AM, Olaf said:

Went on a behavioural management course the other day. Guy was saying that Gen X was the angry generation, and often has intolerance for younger generation.......

What the fcuk does he know ..... some people need to take a concrete pill and hardern up .....

Gen x btw ?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Neal said:

Went on a behavioural management course the other day. Guy was saying that Gen X was the angry generation, and often has intolerance for younger generation.......

most likely interpreting intolerance for his dribble as agesim agenda and blame Gen-X.  Purely coincidental that he was from a generation later than X... rather than face the fact that he's talking rubbish!

7 hours ago, Olaf said:

most likely interpreting intolerance for his dribble as agesim agenda and blame Gen-X.  Purely coincidental that he was from a generation later than X... rather than face the fact that he's talking rubbish!

Baby boomer ...   

there was some fact to what he was saying though. But there were popular generalisations for each gen.

Apperatenly Igen are well balanced and I'm inclined to agree with some of the interns and grads of late. 

Edited by Neal
  • Like 1