Sign in to follow this  
LemonHunter

X5 Offroader project

I'm a lurker over at the ORE forum and this popped up, interesting project by someone turning an X5 into an offroader proper.

http://www.offroadexpress.kiwi/Forums/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=47026

x5-Photo_1-09-17_5_03_43_PM.thumb.jpg.97802b38f164dfe8df1dc92e48eac8d3.jpg

x5Photo_1-09-17_5_07_35_PM.thumb.jpg.1b198e813464c54cf1fbd1697256b929.jpg

Edited by EURO V12
  • Like 3

Does anyone else want an X5 now?

Excuse me while I check trade me haha

• Like 1

I do like the front picture more. It makes the X5 look really mean.

He's added some check plate, but only provided detail shots not a full frontal, I'm looking forwards to the next progress pics.

aparently the X5 came about from a BMW and Land Rover colaboration, I knew the range rovers got the BMW engine, what didn't occur to me is 4wd specific driveline components from the X5 are Landrover items, or some of them anyway, meaning you can take off-road Landrover diff and transfer cases and retrofit them, or somthing like that anyway.

I see, perhaps then the more off-road oriented items the OP speaks of on the Landrover/Rangerover are ZF components, makes more sense.

very cool project.

there are two things which make something truly offroadable or not.Clearance and wheel articulation.If you have heaps of both then you have a crap on road vehicle.And so the compromises begin

indeed, though the relative lack of articulation on front axles don't appear to prevent the Aussies from getting places 'truly offroad' in the modern crop of Japanese utes!  Possibly a genuine low-range and diff locks are also indicators.

I do t know about "modern," some of the top pick for off-roading seems to be late 90s 4runners and land cruisers. 3rd gen 4runners ('96-'02) are amazing trucks that can be quite reasonable on, and amazing off road.

Edited by Gabe79