Sign in to follow this  
eliongater

Landrover tyres

I know this is a bit left field, but since you guys are fairly clued up and have a different perspective compared to others (just get some 2nd hand 20 YO tyres, you'll be sweet...) I thought I'd ask here.

I'm looking for a full set of tyres for my Series 2a 88" Landy, with 16x5" rims (5" wide that is). It's been suggested that I run everything from 6.50, 7.00 to 7.50. Ideally, though I'd be looking for some new radials (in a modern size) that are suitable for minor off-road use (farms, gravels, mild mud) and still good for some road driving. I am planning on driving it from Hamilton to Christchurch though, so that should probably be taken into account.

Key points:

• Offroad and on-road
  • Prefer under $250 per tyre
  • New would be nice
  • 16 x 5" Rim
  • 7.00 or 7.50 size, but in XXX/YYR16 format. Unless you can find a unicorn tyre

mr google says a 165 to 175 is ideal for a 5 inch rim.Action tyres are a sponsor for the wellington cross country vehicle club,they may know the current options you would have Call (04) 939 2284

Edited by kiwi535

yes i think my pajero is 265/65 17 on a 7.5.I was just interested in what size tyre you would put on a 5 in rim!

These might fit the bill ... although wrong end of the country. They've probably come off a 76 series Toyota. They'd be ... ok ... on the road.

https://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/car-parts-accessories/wheels-tyres/tyres/auction-1420398106.htm

I've looked at this is the past and it's hard to find a 7.50r16 equivalent (I didn't focus on smaller) that is ok on a narrow LR rim. I have some Defender base model ones (a Michelin) that I bought on TM for $1100 new on 5.5" steel wheels - a dealer had taken them off, but it's not exactly common to see them for sale. Drives amazingly onroad compared to the mud tyres it came with.

i wonder how old they are?

Edited by E30 325i Rag-Top

Thanks guys, I'll try get some wider rims.

Interestingly my cousin (who has lots of land rovers) says that he runs 7.50s on 4.5" to 8" rims... I assume my assumption that this is not OK is correct?

@3pedals I'll look into those in an appropriate size. So they'll be fine with some mud and gravel (farm runs not hardcore off-roading)?

10 hours ago, kiwi535 said:

i wonder how old they are?

They are most likely fairly new - from one of these a couple of years ago (this is the first time I have seen them listed with a tyre size of 225/95R16 - they used to be 750R16):

https://www.toyota.co.nz/our-range/land-cruiser/land-cruiser-70/specifications/single-cab-chassis/

Thoughts on these?

https://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=1426303495

https://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=1427098064

I've been asking around tyre shops about 7.50R16's and they're either stupidly expensive, a truck tyre or both.

I've also been having a hard time finding tyres narrow enough (stupid 5" rims) and with a high enough profile (hence looking for 7.50R16s)

Edited by eliongater

Haven't read the whole thread (busy! And can't 'see' TradeMe from here) but back in the day we used Firestone SATs. Howled on the road, great offroad. And cheap. No idea if they're still available.

Just now, gjm said:

Haven't read the whole thread (busy! And can't 'see' TradeMe from here) but back in the day we used Firestone SATs. Howled on the road, great offroad. And cheap. No idea if they're still available.

Yeah don't think they are available but there are similar copy's out there by companies like DEESTONE, I run a old set on my Jeep and I very much agree great off road and very loud on road which is fine as it never see's the road. DSC05297.thumb.JPG.a377e26a05d4eddbcfc1c84778499ac9.JPG   

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, eliongater said:

SAT's are quite hard to find in good condition now.

Which Deestone? http://www.tyreline.co.nz/deestone/

D503? Also are they radial or cross ply?

Yeah they are getting rare to find, I was lucky finding the ones I have as I got the five wheels and tyres in good condition for $550

https://tyreshoponline.co.nz/shop/catalogue/category-5.html According to here they are cross ply (10 ply for 750R16) Although I have no experience with this brand so not sure if i would recommend them. 

I did a search and while I can't visit the site, there were several results suggesting SATs available on TradeMe?

On 9/16/2017 at 11:37 PM, eliongater said:

I'm looking for a full set of tyres for my Series 2a 88" Landy, with 16x5" rims (5" wide that is). It's been suggested that I run everything from 6.50, 7.00 to 7.50. Ideally, though I'd be looking for some new radials (in a modern size) that are suitable for minor off-road use (farms, gravels, mild mud) and still good for some road driving. I am planning on driving it from Hamilton to Christchurch though, so that should probably be taken into account.

Anyone sane would be adopting a coil-sprung Land Cruiser or HiLux for such a journey, so having presented your credentials as a card-carrying elbow-banging LRO, we recognise you as truly mad and your appreciation of things BMW is providing a tenuous balance!

7.50R16 were the 'standard' on series 2 and 3 back in the 80's (where fat rims and All Terrain T/A's weren't fashionably added), though they were plentiful.  FWIW I'd be looking for indications that those Kumhos weren't 'totally shite' and considering them.  You're unlikely to be travelling much above 90kph, yeah?

Edited by Olaf

16 minutes ago, Olaf said:

7.50R16 were the 'standard' on series 2 and 3 back in the 80's.

7.50 were OE on the LWB; SWB got 6.50.

80-90km/h is a comfortable cruising speed for a 2.25 Landie. And we ran Kumhos, even 20+ years ago. They were pretty good.

I've decided to go for a more onroad oriented tyre, and in 7.50 as the 5" rim means I can't get the height any other way.

I was thinking these were cheap enough for what they were?

https://www.trademe.co.nz/1426036227

37 minutes ago, eliongater said:

I've decided to go for a more onroad oriented tyre, and in 7.50 as the 5" rim means I can't get the height any other way.

I was thinking these were cheap enough for what they were?

https://www.trademe.co.nz/1426036227

They're not a bad road tyre. They do clog pretty quickly if you go through any mud.

These - https://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=1426251466 - are a bit more money but imo a better tyre. They are for a 15" rim, but finding some steel 8-spoke rims shouldn't be difficult. I did this with my SWB IIa and ran 29.50 Mickey Thompson tyres.
(Just an option. :) )

Edited by gjm

7 minutes ago, gjm said:

They're not a bad road tyre. They do clog pretty quickly if you go through any mud.

and so the compromises begin.It really depends on whet you are going to do with the landy.A light truck tyre will provide very good puncture resistance esp if you off road with pressures down a bit.An AT type tyre will never be as good in the mud as a mud tyre.A mud tyre has less rubber on the road than An AT tyre.An At tyre has less rubber on the road than a HT tyre.A mud tyre will be much noisier than a HT tyre.

you could get some advice from your tyre professional as well.

32 minutes ago, Olaf said:

you could get some advice from your tyre professional as well.

So far I've gotten, "you want a what?!?"

Also unfortunately I'm being pestered to keep my current wheels as they're the correct wheels for it. Which I can kinda agree with as it's pretty original for an ex army FFR landy.

So now my thinking is to grab some more road based tyres for the 5" rims and buy some manlier rims and wheels a 2nd set

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, eliongater said:

So far I've gotten, "you want a what?!?"

Also unfortunately I'm being pestered to keep my current wheels as they're the correct wheels for it. Which I can kinda agree with as it's pretty original for an ex army FFR landy.

So now my thinking is to grab some more road based tyres for the 5" rims and buy some manlier rims and wheels a 2nd set

have you talked to Action Tyres?

3 hours ago, kiwi535 said:

have you talked to Action Tyres?

+ Kelvin. 

2 hours ago, 3pedals said:

Didn't know there were any left in the country, tyreshops  all seem to employ muppets these days. 

there are a few in Wellington; my choice of the Bridgestone franchise in Torrens Terrace in Wellington is very good.    I deal with the owner, he's been in the trade for many years, knows his onions, and is very good to do business with too.

2 hours ago, 3pedals said:

Here you go in your neck of the woods 

617984165.jpg

those are rather efette looking rims!