Sign in to follow this  
JayE36

E36 323i M52B Oil Question

Hey guys

323i 1996 m52b

I am wanting to change out the oil on my e36 but not overly sure what oil I should use I have seen people mentioning Mobil 1 5w30 and also saw HPR5 Penrite as a suggestion on this site.

I would like to know if anyone has a recommendation of which oil and or what oil they use on their e36

I am not sure when the oil was changed last I bought the car on 130k now its at 165k and changing the oil hasn't crossed my mind since it runs perfectly fine to me but im assuming the state of the oil is absolutely terrible.

Any help will be much appreciated cheers.

Edited by JayE36

2 hours ago, JayE36 said:

Hey guys

323i 1996 m52b

I am wanting to change out the oil on my e36 but not overly sure what oil I should use I have seen people mentioning Mobil 1 5w30 and also saw HPR5 Penrite as a suggestion on this site.

I would like to know if anyone has a recommendation of which oil and or what oil they use on their e36

I am not sure when the oil was changed last I bought the car on 130k now its at 165k and changing the oil hasn't crossed my mind since it runs perfectly fine to me but im assuming the state of the oil is absolutely terrible.

Any help will be much appreciated cheers.

Hi Jordan,

Over the last 20 years of driving 6 cylinder E36 BMWs, I have always used Castrol Magnatic 10w40. Sometimes you can get a good deal, but in general the Magnatec 10w40 is around $50 for 4L...and you will need around 6L (so you will need to buy 2 x 4 Litres). Best I ever got was 5 months ago when I bought 2 x 4 Litres of Magnatec for $27-00 each.

Good luck. :rolleyes:

• Like 1

I'd flush the system (with inexpensive synthetic oil) and then refill with a good synthetic. Penrite HPR5 is perfect, especially when on special at Repco. A million opinions won't change this, it's fact.

Now, for my M3 I use Castrol Edge. You should actually avoid Magnatec in NZ because it's a mineral blend (mineral = bad). But 'Edge grade' oil can't be justified in a m52.

Edited by M3AN
  • Like 1

Do every one a favour and stop an oil thread before it starts.... Get an owners manual and get an oil that's suited to the climate of where you live. 

:)

19 hours ago, BreakMyWindow said:

Do every one a favour and stop an oil thread before it starts.... Get an owners manual and get an oil that's suited to the climate of where you live. 

:)

I just wanted to see the opinions of everybody on here because im assuming the majority of users on here have more experience with bmws in general and may have found something better than recommended OEM oils through their own experience.

21 hours ago, viskop said:

Hi Jordan,

Over the last 20 years of driving 6 cylinder E36 BMWs, I have always used Castrol Magnatic 10w40. Sometimes you can get a good deal, but in general the Magnatec 10w40 is around $50 for 4L...and you will need around 6L (so you will need to buy 2 x 4 Litres). Best I ever got was 5 months ago when I bought 2 x 4 Litres of Magnatec for $27-00 each.

Good luck. :rolleyes:

19 hours ago, M3AN said:

I'd flush the system (with inexpensive synthetic oil) and then refill with a good synthetic. Penrite HPR5 is perfect, especially when on special at Repco. A million opinions won't change this, it's fact.

Now, for my M3 I use Castrol Edge. You should actually avoid Magnatec in NZ because it's a mineral blend (mineral = bad). But 'Edge grade' oil can't be justified in a m52.

Cheers for your help guys I think ill go with the HPR5 if I can manage to get it on sale it seems to be best oil so far

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Gabe79 said:

damnit! worst time for it go on sale I just spent the last of my money on holiday accomodation im so annoyed haha damn thanks for the link though man