Sign in to follow this  
Ambiez

325i spluttering on take off

Probably not a new topic but new to me. My 325i sort of sputters when i try to take off. Sometimes it doesn't like to idle nicely like its not running off of all 6, sort of 'surges'. Stalls sometimes when I try to take off (it's automatic), and I'm being as gentle as I can on the throttle. Will roll along without any throttle but if I try accelerate it stalls or splutters. Now and then it doesn't do it at all but it's getting worse. Cleaned the air flow sensor which made no difference. Sorry if my description is a bit vague. Suggestions on how to fix would be appreciated. Only just got the car. Has done high kms. 

Cheers, Amber.

Replace CCV, clean throttle body and ICV. I had the same issue. This is what fixed for me. 

15 minutes ago, Gabe79 said:

Replace CCV, clean throttle body and ICV. I had the same issue. This is what fixed for me. 

Thanks, I'll look into it :)

Also check the intake hose between the throttle body and the AFM, and the hoses either side of the ICV. Check all vacuum lines you can as well, a small air leak can cause the above symptoms as well as the parts Gabe79 mentioned.

• Like 2

Note, if you have time, the sane thing to do is to remove everything up to your throttle body, clean throttle body and ICV and inspect everything you remove, plus all the CCV hoses. THEN you make a determination on what you need to replace. Now, this may be the sane thing, but is not what I did. I just bought the vast majority of the parts needed to get to the CCV, including the CCV setup itself, removed everything, cleaned CCV/ICV and replaced with new parts as put stuff back in. It fixed my problem. I found cracked hoses, leaking hoses, etc... This took me ~3 hours, as a newbie. The CCV replace was not actually so painful in the end. I watched a lot of youtube videos and it went really smoothly for me. I don't have a lot of time to work on my car, so rather than doing the sane thing, I threw money at it, under the (safe bet, it turned out) the assumption the previous owners hadn't replaced anything in that area in my poor car's 17 years of existence... The only real drawback of the "remove everything and inspect before deciding to replace..." approach is that, at least in my case, hoses literally disintegrated in my hands when I was removing them. Be very careful removing things you don't have replacements for. (Although I concede the offending/disintegrating hose was a CCV hose which was going to get replaced anyway...) I think up to the throttle body, you can safely remove and anything you find can still be usable, even if sub optimal, until you get a replacement part in.

I just took the oil cap off while the vehicle was running and there was a definate change/drop in the idle. When the cap was replaced the idle changed back/increased to how it was. Does this help anyone diagnose an issue? I've looked into a ccv kit. May tale it to bmw for diagnostic thing, sorry for the 'noob' terms haha

Update: misfire on cylinders 3 & 6. Replaced plugs and coils, so far so good.

Next problem: ABS light is now on :o and a letter from bmw about airbags

2 hours ago, Ambiez said:

Update: misfire on cylinders 3 & 6. Replaced plugs and coils, so far so good.

Next problem: ABS light is now on :o and a letter from bmw about airbags

Lots of General Discussion articles about it, basically the letter says were all driving a nuclear war head

so no real change for me