Herbmiester

Aussie Police buying BMW for highway Patrol

27 posts in this topic

I wouldn't mind picking one of these up when they get replaced (or any other BMW ex-cop car for that matter)

2 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The car in the picture has blue brake calipers... does this mean it has performance brakes?

And does this make it more likely we will get 5er police cars too?

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

^ Nissan Leafs...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, MD13 said:

^ Nissan Leafs...

That would be one short car chase! 

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, MD13 said:

^ Nissan Leafs...

 

51 minutes ago, Gabe79 said:

That would be one short car chase! 

I'm regularly passed by Prii (official Toyota plural of 'Prius') which must be travelling at 130km/h+...

Not police ones, admittedly, which would be weighed down by huge amount of kit.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, gjm said:

 

I'm regularly passed by Prii (official Toyota plural of 'Prius') which must be travelling at 130km/h+...

Not police ones, admittedly, which would be weighed down by huge amount of kit.

 

Yes, but it did take them all day to get there. I was driving the work Prius once, tried to overtake a truck on a passing lane, gave up... (I was used to driving cars that still had some acceleration left after 50Km/h)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, gjm said:

 

I'm regularly passed by Prii (official Toyota plural of 'Prius') which must be travelling at 130km/h+...

Not police ones, admittedly, which would be weighed down by huge amount of kit.

 

The Prius is not an electric car, like the Leaf. The Prius has insane range, like 1000km. The electric motor charges off the petrol engine. (Note this year's model can be plugged in to charge the electric motor as well.)

Just now, eliongater said:

Yes, but it did take them all day to get there. I was driving the work Prius once, tried to overtake a truck on a passing lane, gave up... (I was used to driving cars that still had some acceleration left after 50Km/h)

Ironic, the Leaf has amazing pickup. Just won't last very long. Electric gives you all torque up front, it's lovely. There are good videos of Tesla's beating all the big names in drag races. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/27/2017 at 0:34 PM, Gabe79 said:

The Prius is not an electric car, like the Leaf. The Prius has insane range, like 1000km. The electric motor charges off the petrol engine. (Note this year's model can be plugged in to charge the electric motor as well.)

Ironic, the Leaf has amazing pickup. Just won't last very long. Electric gives you all torque up front, it's lovely. There are good videos of Tesla's beating all the big names in drag races. 

the advantage of a electric motor that will generate max torque at all speeds.Its a bit of a leap from a nissan to a tesla!

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well... that's not strictly true, max torque is at 0RPM, torque reduces as RPM rise, power peaks in the middle, and efficiency peaks around 90%

torque.gif.1a38c78334023b6f6674a1c37d73a1fc.gif

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not sure I understand that graph - the "torque and amps" axis is a bit strange, how is that calculated - is it the torque multipled by the amps pulled by the motor - which might make sense? As the rpm increases the torque remains constant but the power (kW) increases, which is provided by an increase in current.

just checking the technical info on i3 and i8 and that would suggest the max torque figure is pulled all the way to max RPM, which backs up what I have always believed in that the torque curve for these motors is pretty much a flat line.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well that would be certainly embarrassing if I have it wrong, perhaps I've misunderstood the graphs all this time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, E30 325i Rag-Top said:

Not sure I understand that graph - the "torque and amps" axis is a bit strange, how is that calculated - is it the torque multipled by the amps pulled by the motor - which might make sense? As the rpm increases the torque remains constant but the power (kW) increases, which is provided by an increase in current.

just checking the technical info on i3 and i8 and that would suggest the max torque figure is pulled all the way to max RPM, which backs up what I have always believed in that the torque curve for these motors is pretty much a flat line.

This is true in a very simple sort of way. It is technically untrue that all torque is up front, but because of the rpms of electric engines, most of the time there is just one gear for the full rpm range. In formula E, there are cars with multiple gears for even crazier acceleration. Engineering Explained did an awesome video on gis topic. 

 

Can’t recommend this channel highly enough. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/27/2017 at 0:28 PM, eliongater said:

Yes, but it did take them all day to get there. I was driving the work Prius once, tried to overtake a truck on a passing lane, gave up... (I was used to driving cars that still had some acceleration left after 50Km/h)

you need to select the correct mode in the Prius.  they can be driven very briskly indeed, though forget about corners.  'POWER' mode can get you away from the lights very quickly (think V8 speed).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The usual range of mis- information in here but then we live in an age of emerging anti-science, the graph is  simplistic  and is for a DC motor - modern / smart electric cars use AC motors. 

With electric motors the basic rules are:

  • Maximum torque and current draw is when the motor is stalled - this is not the same as its not turning because it is not powered up.  
  • Electric cars can have only one gear but then they need an electric motor that will work over a wider range. 
  • Power is still torque times RPM for an electric motor. 

Modern electric cars use AC motors and a very smart controller so they can control the frequency being fed into the motor and thereby control speed, torque starts off high and generally remains constant (Jon is correct)  like all motors electric motors also have an optimum operating point. 

Cars like the leaf, Tesla and Prius all use  fixed gearing and a wide RPM range motor - these are less efficient 

The BMW 330e and other "e" models use a medium speed range motor ahead of the 8 speed gearbox and it shifts gears so you get the torque gearing as per a normal car - this is more efficient and lets you use a smaller optimised motor to get good torque at low speed, good efficency at high speed and a reasonable range.   

 

3 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, 3pedals said:

The BMW 330e and other "e" models use a medium speed range motor ahead of the 8 speed gearbox and it shifts gears so you get the torque gearing as per a normal car - this is more efficient and lets you use a smaller optimised motor to get good torque at low speed, good efficency at high speed and a reasonable range.   

Very confusingly the BMWi Performance range, of which the 330e is a part, use a range of differing drivetrains just to make things even more confusing and hard to explain to the customers and NZTA.

The i8 has a seperate engine for each axle, petrol on one, electric on the other (with I think a two-speed gearbox but could be wrong), the 225Xe is then a back-to-front i8 with again one motor per axle but the other way round to the i8, 330e is between the petrol and gearbox as you say Ron, to take advantage of the 8-speed shifter, the X5 40e is different again with the electric motor somewhere in the middle IIRC. Some of the models also use the starter motor as a generator and an extra :"eBoost" electric motor in certain modes for an extra 5kW or so!

I wish they would just pick a system and stick with it, but then that would be far too simple and nowhere near as much fun for all the German boffins!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's really quite easy if you approach it with a germanic persuasion ( fortunately I was born with one) so here is a translation for you: 

The i8 is a performance car aimed at performance drivers - so it has the greater  (petrol derived) power and torque delivered to the rear axle and the lesser (electric) power and torque delivered via the front axle - this produces a finely balanced  4WD performance sports car.

The 330e needs to meet the expectations of the very discerning  '3er class'  buyer  which is a finely balanced rear wheel drive vehicle - so it uses a linear drive system to the rear wheels - what is really nice about this layout is it does away with the nasty torque convertor that robs autos of their throttle on / off drive dynamic ( the electric motor works like a magnetic clutch) - so the 330e drives just like a manual on the throttle and you don't waste power slinging all that oil around or singeing it at traffic lights in 'drive' while stationary- a work of engineering elegance.  The same system is used in the 5e and 7e versions.

The X540e is just a true 4Wd version of the above system - it uses the 328 iteration of the 2litre turbo and has the electric motor on the back of the petrol engine ahead of the gearbox. 

The 225Xe is just a flash people mover for people who don't understand and /or value drive dynamic - but do want  BMW and "e" badges in the garage so you get a front wheel drive shitter with electric drive to the rear axle to give you multi mode operation and pseudo 4WD like the other two but without the drive dynamic.

The 225Xe  delivers as you would expect more power and torque to the front wheels and less to the rear so you get the beautiful people mover drive as Jon says it is arse about face  but then people mover drivers generally are  ----- 

William> 

Edited by 3pedals

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 26 September 2017 at 8:56 PM, Young Thrash Driver said:

The car in the picture has blue brake calipers... does this mean it has performance brakes?

And does this make it more likely we will get 5er police cars too?

The pictures are just renders from the product configurator with the "police" graphics overlaid, so I wouldn't pay too much heed to the details.

Aussie police tender very differently to NZ so their choice makes no difference, the lack of a Holden alternative does though.

I have always wanted to order a car with the "gun cabinet" option ticked!

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes a gun locker in the car has a certain appeal .

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You can buy a gun locker for the E38, OEM. Finish out the Mafia look

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not really an E38 Man.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 02/10/2017 at 9:58 AM, EURO V12 said:

Well... that's not strictly true, max torque is at 0RPM, torque reduces as RPM rise, power peaks in the middle, and efficiency peaks around 90%

torque.gif.1a38c78334023b6f6674a1c37d73a1fc.gif

It says at top of graph. PMDC. Permanent magnet dc. 

 

Completely different motor than what is being used in electric cars (which are ac )

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/3/2017 at 7:42 PM, E30 325i Rag-Top said:

I have always wanted to order a car with the "gun cabinet" option ticked!

 

On 10/8/2017 at 10:21 AM, Herbmiester said:

Yes a gun locker in the car has a certain appeal .

the armourer's dream.

 

Speaking of armour, I saw the US Ambo's offical BMW 7er the other day,  can't be sure but did think it was a High Security 760Li.  the window frames were very different.

2 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There are a few of the Protection Limos in NZ, very cool piece of kit, I would love to drive one, but I think they will suck the gas a bit with a V12 pushing 3.5tonnes around. The windows are the actual bullet proof glass (not what the clowns on TardMe call the comfort glass) and are about 3 inches thick, hence the different window frames.

The flashing lights hidden behind the grilles are the best part, I would so love to use those when I'm stuck in traffic..

 

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now