Sign in to follow this  
Herbmiester

Aussie Police buying BMW for highway Patrol

I wouldn't mind picking one of these up when they get replaced (or any other BMW ex-cop car for that matter)

• Like 2

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MD13 said:

^ Nissan Leafs...

That would be one short car chase! 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MD13 said:

^ Nissan Leafs...

51 minutes ago, Gabe79 said:

That would be one short car chase! 

I'm regularly passed by Prii (official Toyota plural of 'Prius') which must be travelling at 130km/h+...

Not police ones, admittedly, which would be weighed down by huge amount of kit.

33 minutes ago, gjm said:

I'm regularly passed by Prii (official Toyota plural of 'Prius') which must be travelling at 130km/h+...

Yes, but it did take them all day to get there. I was driving the work Prius once, tried to overtake a truck on a passing lane, gave up... (I was used to driving cars that still had some acceleration left after 50Km/h)

35 minutes ago, gjm said:

The Prius is not an electric car, like the Leaf. The Prius has insane range, like 1000km. The electric motor charges off the petrol engine. (Note this year's model can be plugged in to charge the electric motor as well.)

Just now, eliongater said:

Yes, but it did take them all day to get there. I was driving the work Prius once, tried to overtake a truck on a passing lane, gave up... (I was used to driving cars that still had some acceleration left after 50Km/h)

Ironic, the Leaf has amazing pickup. Just won't last very long. Electric gives you all torque up front, it's lovely. There are good videos of Tesla's beating all the big names in drag races. 

On 9/27/2017 at 0:34 PM, Gabe79 said:

The Prius is not an electric car, like the Leaf. The Prius has insane range, like 1000km. The electric motor charges off the petrol engine. (Note this year's model can be plugged in to charge the electric motor as well.)

Ironic, the Leaf has amazing pickup. Just won't last very long. Electric gives you all torque up front, it's lovely. There are good videos of Tesla's beating all the big names in drag races. 

the advantage of a electric motor that will generate max torque at all speeds.Its a bit of a leap from a nissan to a tesla!

• Like 1

Well... that's not strictly true, max torque is at 0RPM, torque reduces as RPM rise, power peaks in the middle, and efficiency peaks around 90%

torque.gif.1a38c78334023b6f6674a1c37d73a1fc.gif

Not sure I understand that graph - the "torque and amps" axis is a bit strange, how is that calculated - is it the torque multipled by the amps pulled by the motor - which might make sense? As the rpm increases the torque remains constant but the power (kW) increases, which is provided by an increase in current.

just checking the technical info on i3 and i8 and that would suggest the max torque figure is pulled all the way to max RPM, which backs up what I have always believed in that the torque curve for these motors is pretty much a flat line.

Well that would be certainly embarrassing if I have it wrong, perhaps I've misunderstood the graphs all this time.

1 hour ago, E30 325i Rag-Top said:

Not sure I understand that graph - the "torque and amps" axis is a bit strange, how is that calculated - is it the torque multipled by the amps pulled by the motor - which might make sense? As the rpm increases the torque remains constant but the power (kW) increases, which is provided by an increase in current.

just checking the technical info on i3 and i8 and that would suggest the max torque figure is pulled all the way to max RPM, which backs up what I have always believed in that the torque curve for these motors is pretty much a flat line.

This is true in a very simple sort of way. It is technically untrue that all torque is up front, but because of the rpms of electric engines, most of the time there is just one gear for the full rpm range. In formula E, there are cars with multiple gears for even crazier acceleration. Engineering Explained did an awesome video on gis topic. 

Can’t recommend this channel highly enough. 

On 9/27/2017 at 0:28 PM, eliongater said:

you need to select the correct mode in the Prius.  they can be driven very briskly indeed, though forget about corners.  'POWER' mode can get you away from the lights very quickly (think V8 speed).

5 hours ago, 3pedals said:

The BMW 330e and other "e" models use a medium speed range motor ahead of the 8 speed gearbox and it shifts gears so you get the torque gearing as per a normal car - this is more efficient and lets you use a smaller optimised motor to get good torque at low speed, good efficency at high speed and a reasonable range.   

Very confusingly the BMWi Performance range, of which the 330e is a part, use a range of differing drivetrains just to make things even more confusing and hard to explain to the customers and NZTA.

The i8 has a seperate engine for each axle, petrol on one, electric on the other (with I think a two-speed gearbox but could be wrong), the 225Xe is then a back-to-front i8 with again one motor per axle but the other way round to the i8, 330e is between the petrol and gearbox as you say Ron, to take advantage of the 8-speed shifter, the X5 40e is different again with the electric motor somewhere in the middle IIRC. Some of the models also use the starter motor as a generator and an extra :"eBoost" electric motor in certain modes for an extra 5kW or so!

I wish they would just pick a system and stick with it, but then that would be far too simple and nowhere near as much fun for all the German boffins!

On 26 September 2017 at 8:56 PM, Young Thrash Driver said:

The car in the picture has blue brake calipers... does this mean it has performance brakes?

And does this make it more likely we will get 5er police cars too?

The pictures are just renders from the product configurator with the "police" graphics overlaid, so I wouldn't pay too much heed to the details.

Aussie police tender very differently to NZ so their choice makes no difference, the lack of a Holden alternative does though.

I have always wanted to order a car with the "gun cabinet" option ticked!

• Like 1

You can buy a gun locker for the E38, OEM. Finish out the Mafia look

On 02/10/2017 at 9:58 AM, EURO V12 said:

Well... that's not strictly true, max torque is at 0RPM, torque reduces as RPM rise, power peaks in the middle, and efficiency peaks around 90%

torque.gif.1a38c78334023b6f6674a1c37d73a1fc.gif

It says at top of graph. PMDC. Permanent magnet dc. 

Completely different motor than what is being used in electric cars (which are ac )

On 10/3/2017 at 7:42 PM, E30 325i Rag-Top said:

I have always wanted to order a car with the "gun cabinet" option ticked!

On 10/8/2017 at 10:21 AM, Herbmiester said:

Yes a gun locker in the car has a certain appeal .

the armourer's dream.

Speaking of armour, I saw the US Ambo's offical BMW 7er the other day,  can't be sure but did think it was a High Security 760Li.  the window frames were very different.

• Like 2

There are a few of the Protection Limos in NZ, very cool piece of kit, I would love to drive one, but I think they will suck the gas a bit with a V12 pushing 3.5tonnes around. The windows are the actual bullet proof glass (not what the clowns on TardMe call the comfort glass) and are about 3 inches thick, hence the different window frames.

The flashing lights hidden behind the grilles are the best part, I would so love to use those when I'm stuck in traffic..

• Like 1

yeah, there's something about the stance and tyres with the protection version as well.  

On 10/13/2017 at 1:14 PM, E30 325i Rag-Top said:

There are a few of the Protection Limos in NZ, very cool piece of kit, I would love to drive one, but I think they will suck the gas a bit with a V12 pushing 3.5tonnes around. The windows are the actual bullet proof glass (not what the clowns on TardMe call the comfort glass) and are about 3 inches thick, hence the different window frames.

The flashing lights hidden behind the grilles are the best part, I would so love to use those when I'm stuck in traffic..

Can you buy 2nd hand ones? (e.g. E38)