Cammsport

What would you choose? E61 vs. E91

13 posts in this topic

Good morning team, 

Looking at moving on our powerful and noble steed, the E46 318i sedan. We're really keen on sticking with BMWs, but switching up to a touring. 

So far, the E61 & E91 have caught our eye and are in our price range. What I can't figure out is why the E91 seems to be more expensive? E61 seems to be a lot of car for the money. Apparently a 200kg difference which sounds hefty (based of N52B25 as example). 

My buying checklist:   

Car will be used as the main car. Used for weekly commutes with odd weekend road trips. Usually carry the two of us, sometimes some friends. After the boot space to haul car parts/weber/tent etc.                              

Engine: 6 cylinder. More familiar with the M5x series. Clueless about the N5x. Diesel would be nice but the price goes up. Most likely go for b25. Would like better optioned versions motorsport/highline. 

Gearbox: no preference. 

Colour: lighter the better. 

Interior: anything but cloth. Preferably dark. 

Clueless with the new tech as we own an e30, e36 and e46. Any input on iDrive would be appreciated also. 

Look forward to hearing opinions and preferences. 

If you're dead set on an m54 they came in the e61 for a couple of years 

I went for an E61 to replace my e39 touring, heaps of space, beautiful cruising car, mine is 07 Lci and the idrive is showing its age now, cant get up to date nav DVDs etc, engine wise I believe the diesels are probably the most sensible choice in these, which is why I got the M5! ;)

4 people like this

21 minutes ago, eliongater said:

If you're dead set on an m54 they came in the e61 for a couple of years 

Really? I did not know this. This would totally change my mind on our next wagon. 

Edited by Gabe79
1 person likes this

you have to drive a couple .A 5 series is more car than a 3 series imo.I think after you drive a couple your choice will become clear.

1 person likes this

The 2.5L N52b25 is alright in the e91 3 series but you will find the 2.5L lacking if you go for the e61.

You will want at least a 530i or higher.

Totally different cars in terms of size and how it drives.

I personally wouldn't bother with the m54 versions in the new 5 series. There is nothing wrong with N series engines. If you want the e61 try to go for an LCI if it's within budget. 

2 people like this

Would have to agree with Paul drive both and get a feel for the 5 and 3 series and you will see what we mean chalk and cheese. Kyu's points on engine size is also something to bear in mind as the difference between the e91 e61 maybe minor weight ,size wise but a couple of hundred cc makes a whole lot of difference. Don't rush it spend some time look at every thing, research them both then look for something that you like and  put it through the purchase ringer. make sure you get a warranty with it. Just for those unexpected things that do go wrong after all it is a bmw ;)

1 person likes this

I considered both a couple of months back and ended up with an e91 for several reasons - which is not to say they're all applicable to you but; in no particular order:

- after driving a couple (530i & 330i) the e91 felt that bit more eager and engaging.

- I/we don't need a big car; just two of us, and the wagon is added convenience on the odd occasion.

- and the most important factor was because there was one available which ticked most of my buying boxes (namely NZ New, reas svce history, no iDrive cos first gen is pants, within budget).

When it comes down to it; as above - drive a few; figure out what you like/want, and get the best one available.

Just want to point out that the e91 is not as spacious as the e46 wagon imo. If it's just for the odd use then it's fine but if you need the space often the e61 gets my vote. They are cheap now too

Having owned an e60 and an e92 (not wagons but same series) it's a toss up. I liked both but am slightly swayed towards the e90/91 etc as I like the smaller more nimble car. That said if you need space for a family go the 61. The older I drive in the 61 is pretty basic so if you want Bluetooth etc go for an LCI, it may not have Bluetooth from the factory but a retrofit is much easier.

Easy choice.  E61 530i M-Sport LCI.  The E91 isn't fast enough (unless it's a 335i) to counter the E61s superior size and comfort.

https://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/used-cars/bmw/auction-1408654204.htm

https://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/used-cars/bmw/auction-1421022125.htm

edit: neither of the above are facelift unfortunately but they do pop up frequently.

Edited by GorGasm
2 people like this

The E61 is a huge car BTW.  When deciding between my old E60 and a similar spec E61 the E60 was an easy pick.

What made it seem much bigger was the huge number of blind spots.  Especially for my short Mrs.

Having had two E61's (525i and a 550i) previously and currently drive an E91 (330i) my choice between them would be a coin toss, I preferred the E61 525 to drive as it was roomy and had enough acceleration, the smaller E91 looks nicer and more modern IMHO (esp from the rear where E61's look a bit dated) but its a bit cramped inside compared to the bigger 5 series (im 6'1").  The 550 was beautiful on long trips but didn't handle anywhere near as good as the 525 (both motorsport models) and of course drank more.  If you want your friends to enjoy the ride in the back on your weekend roadies then get a 5 series - unless your friends are dwarfs ;-)