Sign in to follow this  
Cammsport

What would you choose? E61 vs. E91

4 hours ago, Jacko said:

There is a Russian guy named Alexey who has entirely 3 and 5 series in his yard in penrose, worth a look, the cars are less slimey than most we saw - www.zipmotors.co.nz

This one looks like its done 5x those km, front RH looks repaired. Grade 4.. yeah right.

https://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/used-cars/bmw/auction-1380905929.htm?rsqid=60dab60bd398423eb9e7e340fb6fc417 

We may have been tracing each others steps by the sounds! Have been and looked at the Russian guys cars. Was amazed at his range but was also disappointed in some of the ricey mods on them and there seemed to be a little bit of backyard mechanics going on (which isn't necessarily a bad thing).

Test drove that navy 325i wagon. Absolute sack of a car. My saggy headlining E36 would've given it a run for its money. Rear RH window didn't work, rough interior, transmission was hesitant, dash lit up like a Christmas tree (he assured me all the ABS lights, traction control lights and engine lights were to notify you its due for a service...<_<) and like all Jap imports it had a hideous aftermarket nav system jimmied up to the dash. Didnt get the best vibe from the dealer.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Cammsport said:

We may have been tracing each others steps by the sounds! Have been and looked at the Russian guys cars. Was amazed at his range but was also disappointed in some of the ricey mods on them and there seemed to be a little bit of backyard mechanics going on (which isn't necessarily a bad thing).

Test drove that navy 325i wagon. Absolute sack of a car. My saggy headlining E36 would've given it a run for its money. Rear RH window didn't work, rough interior, transmission was hesitant, dash lit up like a Christmas tree (he assured me all the ABS lights, traction control lights and engine lights were to notify you its due for a service...<_<) and like all Jap imports it had a hideous aftermarket nav system jimmied up to the dash. Didnt get the best vibe from the dealer.

Yeah the backyard mechanic thing put me off a bit too, I guess with so many 3 & 5s they probably have some sort of idea of what they are doing though?! (maybe haha). There are so many shitboxes being flogged on trademe with pretty pictures and BS Japanese auction ratings.... Havent come across one yet without a crazy japanese headunit (most seem to have the original unit rigged up in the boot to stop canbus errors?, so retrofitting shouldnt be a major provided can find the fascia)

Taking that silver Msport touring from zip in for PPI today, hopefully its all right, sick of looking at em. It drove well, had a swag of historical errors logged though. 

• Like 1

So what's ppls thoughts on my e91 value? 

Am about to move house so a sale/downgrade is looking increasingly likely - looking at TM it's quite hard to get a good read on what these things are selling for.

It's NZ New; (all but) 180km - servicing up to date; new rear shocks and just had vanos solenoids done. Vin is AF81035 if you want to check specs (typical NZ spec; leather; no M bits or i-Drive). Has 18" 220's which I'd assume are reps and could do with a refurb.

Everything works, drives well, etc etc... 

16 hours ago, kiwi535 said:

because they are SMALL inside....

Now I drive a mini..

2 hours ago, SmithyInWelly said:

So what's ppls thoughts on my e91 value? 

Am about to move house so a sale/downgrade is looking increasingly likely - looking at TM it's quite hard to get a good read on what these things are selling for.

It's NZ New; (all but) 180km - servicing up to date; new rear shocks and just had vanos solenoids done. Vin is AF81035 if you want to check specs (typical NZ spec; leather; no M bits or i-Drive). Has 18" 220's which I'd assume are reps and could do with a refurb.

Everything works, drives well, etc etc... 

I would say $9k would see it sold. any more than 10k then there are much more options in the market for not a lot more money so its very tough. 

I would try my best to hold onto it if it is mechanically sorted. Any kind of money saved from downgrading will probably go into repairs and maintenance

• Like 1

Very true Kyu - and the hope is to hold on to it... it's not going to lose value over the next year or two (at least not substantially), and every time I hear the noise it makes when I plant my right foot I get all tingly, especially now the vanos valves are actually working lol (sorry, oversharing).

The flip side is we've got to spend a little bit of dosh on the house so selling it would make life easier; and then I get to upgrade again after it's sold... not to mention needing to upgrade the wife's car. Anyway, yeah.

I think a facelift E91 touring 330 or 335i would be the way to go, pre facelifts are pretty Japanesey looking.

E61s are fine, but seem like such a massive car. Ideal maybe if you do lots of city to city driving, but less so around town, the 3 series would be better suit to that.

Off to see 325i LCI touring tomorrow. Fingers crossed. 

Since there seems to be a good collection of owners of this generation, what have you done about the tyre situation? Stuck with the run flats? Or gone to the normal type, where'd you put the spare? 

• Like 1

LCI is definitely nicer and if its the 3L engine even better!

We have gone for standard non run flat tyres and have roadside assistance cover with our insurance. I think its fine for around town and if we need to go away then maybe just throw a space saver in the boot just for extra safety but otherwise just hope for the best haha..:ph34r: RFT kill the ride on E9x imo 

I've gone from rft to the pilot sport 4s. Huge improvement in comfort and performance. I just keep a can of tyre goo in the boot along with one of those portable pumps

100,000k's on F1 Assy2s/3s with a can of tyre fix in the boot, never had to use it. 

On 1/25/2018 at 9:10 AM, GorGasm said:

going to have a look at this 2mo, anyone else checked it out?

if anyone wants the PPI report of the silver msport e91 at zip pm me, might save someone the cost.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Jacko said:

100,000k's on F1 Assy2s/3s with a can of tyre fix in the boot, never had to use it. 

Sounds a lot better than the hassle of sacrificing boot space. 

25 minutes ago, Jacko said:

if anyone wants the PPI report of the silver msport e91 at zip pm me, might save someone the cost.

What put you off the one at Zip motors? Just out of curiosity. 

4 minutes ago, Cammsport said:

What put you off the one at Zip motors? Just out of curiosity. 

Scariest thing about N52s is the water pump, the failure point of them seems very random (my 130 is on the original at 230km, some fail at 40km). Its also kinda the only thing that just goes pop and leaves you on side of road. That car had no antifreeze in it, the anti freeze is what lubes the pump. Also magnesium/ali block with no corrosion inhibitor in the coolant... 

It might be fine, no idea on how long its been running straight water, too much of unknown to risk it for the wifes daily car. 

4 hours ago, Jacko said:

Anyone wanna buy our silver E91 325i msport sunroof with only 47kms? Im gonna see if I can convince the old man to buy a f10 535i wagon :ph34r::ph34r::ph34r:

33 minutes ago, qube said:

Anyone wanna buy our silver E91 325i msport sunroof with only 47kms? Im gonna see if I can convince the old man to buy a f10 535i wagon :ph34r::ph34r::ph34r:

Message me details if you'd like. 

21 hours ago, qube said:

and if we need to go away then maybe just throw a space saver in the boot just for extra safety but otherwise just hope for the best haha..:ph34r: 

If you choose that route, please, ensure the space saver spare is strapped down.  Imagine the mass of that item airborne in your cabin in event of a rollover; this is why the WoF guys check that the spare is secured.

On 26/01/2018 at 0:27 PM, Jacko said:

Some little car park dents, window rubbers cracked, air con controls dicky, and a leaking rear shock... not that it matters now as sold ;)

27021408_10154933072862693_382052462898701126_o.jpg

Edited by Jacko
  • Like 2

Yay someone bought I car I posted :D  It's a good looking wagon.

I got new window rubber from Pelican Parts for my M5 if that helps...

Edited by GorGasm
  • Like 1

I may finally be able to rest, I think I have found the one I'm after. You experts out there, what would you pay for the following.. 

2008 e91 325i lci . Full service history, fresh import, 70,000kms. I couldn't fault it at all on the exterior. Ride was average (hopefully due to runflats?), interior is mint. Only thing bad would be non Bluetooth  I-drive and jap maps. 

$15-$16k?

20180202_144103_crop_718x401.jpg.b7c7a6720d453efc3947e5384fc3fb45.jpg

• Like 1

I would have thought 15-16k was top dollar for a 325i but maybe you pay more for a Wagon. 

Wagons are definitely more expensive and if it is msport even more and lci even more. 

Just take into account another 500-1000 to convert iDrive and better wheels and or tyres and you should have a nice car!