Sign in to follow this  
agent75

E30 325i 2 door

Someone talk me out of this idea. I have a 325i manual 4 door in my driveway. Just got it cranked over and she's a real gem. I got to thinking I might buy an e30 2 door to put the gear in and get it cranking and certified but at what level are 2 door 325i sitting at to make it worth it? I guess I'd want to come in at around 4.5k total but a non original 325i 2 door may not be as desirable. The 4door already owes me $1400 and I guess I could move a few spares to offset it. Someone talk me out of this now!

Cert will be $800 (? - someone correct this if it is wrong).

Work involved to swap the kit will be significant, of course, and you don't know what else you'll find when doing the swap, or what the coupe shell will need to get it up to scratch.

And then there is the stigma of a DIY bitsa being for sale - there's no reason why it shouldn't be as good as an ex-factory car, but people are suspicious of such things.

I really can't see it being worth the time, grief, effort and expense.

I'm definitely hearing you. I guess the benefit is that I have a complete donor. I was thinking a regd and wofd 320, 316 or 318 auto. 

I was was thinking 600 for cert but could be wrong

I reckon it is do -able, a bitza 325 manual coupe is worth 6 to 8k. Buying a coupe will set you back about 3 to 4k, I assume the labour is free, so the difference will be at least 2k. Best bet would be to find a 320 coupe and that might mean no cert required.

• Like 1

It all depends how much you really want a coupe with a bit more poke under your right foot. I don't think there would be any point in doing it for a monetary gain excercise as by the time you take into account all the little bits and pieces and cost out your labour time it wouldn't stack up.

My suggestion would be to drive the 4-door and fix / repair any little bits and pieces that need doing as you go along, then if you still really need a 2-door sell the 4-door and buy one.

• Like 1

I'm definitely hearing you all.  You are right, it's mostly because I want one. I've still got the slow burn m52 project in the garage but this will be moe immediate. I love my coupes and the 4 door is dead Reg and beyond saving (rust, rust, mostly stripped out interior, rust, Matt black shitty paint, rust). 

I was kind of eyeing up a coupe when I posted this and now I've bought it! It's a 320i auto . Pretty good and straight and dark grey. 

Ive attached a pic of the donor

IMG_3392.JPG

Edited by agent75

Whilst I love my little 318 manual, I am hankering after some more poke too! 

The car I'll be popping the manual 2.5 in. I'll eventually put the m52 in it too but with this gearbox I'll have a kooky gear stick. I don't like the spoiler on this but I've since realised it's a copy of a mtech one. It just looks out of place on a standard car with bottle caps. Best I get tearing this donor car apart! BTW I will likely have a m40 manual 318 coupe for sale soon... too many toys!

IMG_3443.PNG