Sign in to follow this  
agent75

E30 Coupe Dilemma

As mentioned in another post I have just purchased an E30 Delphin Metallic 320i auto coupe.  This may highlight my levels of impulsiveness but following a chat with my missus (very understanding of my "condition") I think I need to get rid of one of the coupes I have due to the space time continuum (I have neither the space nor the time for both).

My two cars are:

1989 E30 318i Manual Coupe in Alpine Weisse - Poverty spec NZ new - wind up windows but with Sun roof

1988 E30 320i Auto Coupe in Delphin Metallic - mid jap spec - electric windows , no sun roof

Both are tidy in the body with no evidence of corrosion.  the grey one has some typical but local corrosion behind the boot seal above the number plate. White one is lower k's but that is academic.  my original plan was to M20B25 manual gbox the grey one (I have the parts) and M52b28 the white one (I have most of the parts).  Reality says I should keep one and M20 it with a view to M52ing it down the track - and sell the other.  Obviously the white one has the gearbox I want for the M52 conversion but the M20B25 gearbox would also suit (but not as easily).

I like the odd track day so will be putting some cash in to suspension etc

What to do??  

Edited by agent75

Easy, keep the grey one. Dolphin metallic is THE best E30 colour, and paint is more expensive and harder to DIY than mechanicals.

IMHO.

• Like 2

I'm interested, the white one has a manual sun roof and it is in sound condition, but are non sunroof ones a bit more desirable for some reason?  is it the "race car" thing where you don't really want a sun roof?

1 hour ago, agent75 said:

I'm interested, the white one has a manual sun roof and it is in sound condition, but are non sunroof ones a bit more desirable for some reason?  is it the "race car" thing where you don't really want a sun roof?

I prefer non sunroof due to less rust. 

Currently have taken out my headlining, and am suffering from a wet head while driving in the rain. 

It will probably be easier to flick the 318i as is, and track down a gearbox for converting the 320i.

20 minutes ago, nick496 said:

It will probably be easier to flick the 318i as is, and track down a gearbox for converting the 320i.

I can't help agreeing, I can always use the M20b25 gear box as bargaining chips when it comes to doing M52 Conversion.

Mine doesn't leak........ yet!!

Are you selling me your e30?

haha

I also am fighting the impulses for a project car

• Like 1

Lol. Don't fight it! Go with it!

my 318 is not really a project, it will be fully functioning reg/wof etc.... but you should still buy it!

Easy...sell me the M20B25 manual gbox...then you have less to ponder about. :rolleyes:

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, agent75 said:

Lol. Don't fight it! Go with it!

my 318 is not really a project, it will be fully functioning reg/wof etc.... but you should still buy it!

i figured lol, minutes before you posted i was looking for a beat up e30 to show some love, as my e46 has received too much love.

and then this post 

i'll keep an eye out for it

I used to drive an e30 m20b27 manual (that one with the stroker kit) sold it for under 5k yearsssssssss ago, and then all the e30's went up through the roof in price, i cry my self to sleep every day, electric windows and electric sunroof - the dream

Edited by 325_driver

My mates are all for the white one. Normally I'm not so pliable in my opinion but I'm struggling here. Oh for more space and time. One thing is for sure - bottle caps do nothing for these cars (although some may suggest my choice of wheels don't either!)

IMG_3438.PNG

IMG_0715.JPG

• Like 1

White cars are easier to work on. You can see what you're doing a lot better.

Delphingrau, or Dolphin Grey (depending on country of origin, but very slightly different colour shades) is a great colour, as Jon says.

No sunroof is popular because no leaks, simplicity, and no extra weight being placed at the top of the car. I kept my coupe shell for these reasons, and I'm replacing the electric windows with manual ones.

Edited by gjm

3 hours ago, gjm said:

No sunroof is popular because no leaks, simplicity, and no extra weight being placed at the top of the car. I kept my coupe shell for these reasons, and I'm replacing the electric windows with manual ones.

Because race car??

4 minutes ago, E30 325i Rag-Top said:

Because race car??

Because... "Focused" road car. ;) 

• Like 1

I quite like the sun roof but it's just another thing to rust and "f#ck out" .  Funny how my two are no sun roof and elec windows (jap import) vs sun roof and manual windows (nz new)

42 minutes ago, agent75 said:

I quite like the sun roof but it's just another thing to rust and "f#ck out" .  Funny how my two are no sun roof and elec windows (jap import) vs sun roof and manual windows (nz new)

Because New Zealanders like facades ;)

You can see a sunroof from outside, but not the manual windows.

38 minutes ago, eliongater said:

I thought it was because you can buy lightweight window winders, but not lightweight switches and wiring? :unsure: :P

Probably a safety consideration for all those BMW drivers who end up in the sea...

• Like 1

9 hours ago, eliongater said:

I loves my facades, I've actually decided to put a m40b16 auto in it but do it up to look like an m3 with papier-mâché body kit and Ali express m3 badges then hit the streets with my windows down and the system up :-D

• Like 1