Sign in to follow this  
BatmanMW

Going from WRX STI to BMW

Having owned a couple of Subarus (Legacy Turbo and Legacy Twin Turbo) through into highish kms I don't think there's any doubt that they cost less to maintain than BMWs of comparable Kms. The only way you might get close is by DIYing and saving most of the labour. If you buy a tight Bimmer with service history and reasonable/lowish Kms and a MBI, and don't put on a lot of miles then you should have a very reasonable ownership experience. And do aim to buy something you really like and want to keep for 3+ years - so if you do have to spend a bit to sort some things, the spend averages out. Worst thing is buying a vehicle, get landed with overdue/due maintenance items and getting pissed off with the cost and selling it - right after you've invested in getting it sorted. Next owner wins - and you lose! :) It's like renovating your house prior to selling it  - and then selling it for less than you bought it.

Your WRX looks fantastic BTW.

Go and drive a 550i Msport and get a feel for the vehicle as that's what will make you want to change (or not).

Good luck and cheers for giving us all an opportunity to vent opinions :P

• Like 1

I reckon try a 2009 ish Audi S3, will be similar to what you're used to in a much more refined package. 

Mmm whoops this is bimmersport not vask.org.nz ummmm 335i

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, charles28 said:

I reckon try a 2009 ish Audi S3, will be similar to what you're used to in a much more refined package. 

Mmm whoops this is bimmersport not vask.org.nz ummmm 335i

haha - wrong forum

OP - Good to see a fellow ClubSub member on here!

I was in a similar situation to you, but I just couldn't let go of my Subbie.  I've got a v7 sti Wagon, tuned etc, although not making as much power as yours (214kw atw).

Have you considered buying a daily and keeping the Subbie as a weekend toy?

After some shopping around I settled on a e90 330i, and I must say its a fantastic cruiser and it a nice place to be on long trips.  I managed to find one with sports suspension, adaptive steering and a few extras.

Both cars a pretty much complete opposites.  BMW is a smooth ride with that straight 6 and minimal road noise, but has very direct handling.  The Subaru is loud af, thanks to the 3" turbo back, lots of road noise.  But when that boost comes on it always brings a smile on my face.

I agree since Subaru's are more accessible to the younger crowd, doing mods willynilly with no tune, engines go boom.  I've had mine for the past 6 years, always on top of maintenance and I've never had one problem with it.  Extremely reliable car.

I would suggest a mechanical warranty for any BMW, in the last year I've had the brake booster and water pump fail.  Would have cost me 2.5k otherwise, I think I need to change my coil packs soon as I'm getting some shaky start-ups.  I usually do my own servicing on my cars, but with the warranty I'm required to take it into a shop for servicing which is also added cost.

• Like 1

Saying any BMW is just taking the piss. For 2000+ era cars its not a bad idea when you look at part prices and labor required.  

• Like 1

If it’s something you may want to tune down the track, the 335i has to be on the test drive list.  The e9x platform is so nicely balanced. I prefer it to the current 3 series in terms of feel. It’s an excellent daily driver and also long distance cruiser.  I get remarkable economy for the performance.

I enjoy a BMW V8, and I really like the e60 but the 335i puts more smiles on my face day to day.

• Like 2

Before I got my E60 530i I had an Forester STI, It was a lot of fun but I sold it because at 1.97m it was just to tight up front. The 530i was very nicely balanced and although my wife's 3.5l Aurion was faster in a straight line the balance in the corners was wonderful. My mate Boytie has a 550i and its quite quick and again very nicely balanced in the corners but perhaps not quite as nice as my 530 because of the extra weight up front. I was tempted by a 550i and the touring models always float my boat. I now have a 335i with a tune and its quick compared to both the aforementioned 5 series. Its got massive torque and can rev out cleanly as well. I do a lot of work myself and looking at my notes the 530 cost less to maintain than the STI. The 335i has cost a bit of time but the parts themselves have been reasonable. Up Whitemans valley hill my STI might shade the 335i but only just, an LSD added to the 335i would see it pretty even. Both would be quicker than the 550i but again not by much. 

Edited by Herbmiester
  • Like 1

thanks for the advice guys. i couldnt bring myself to part with the STI , my heart was still in it after all haha. i just changed a few 'racecar' things to make it more comfortable/quieter for my every day use.

• Like 2