Sign in to follow this  
dirtydoogle

E39 ABS unit testing in nz

Is anyone capable of testing an ABS unit for me? 

Have been given a 2000 520, m52tu. 

Car had a brand new ABS module installed and coded, yet has not fixed the issue (this was before me, I am not aware of the original fault codes) 

I have scanned on INPA using tiny ADS interface. It is showing two valving codes. 

Is there a standard test to run on the valve bodies? I am aware it isn't the first time a Singapore imsport was horrible to fix ;)

20170912_183448.jpg

New module or S/H?  New unit unlikely to be faulty

If new - did it initially fix the issue? If not  - it must have been miss diagnosed

If S/H it could still be a faulty unit. They can fail in multiple ways - no fault codes, incorrect code, or a book of incorrect codes. Have seen them all.

Power Stop in Tauranga can test/ repair the modules

Is there an "activate" option that will exercise the unit.  Had a sticking valve on a ABS unit in a E36/7.  Activating it a couple of times cleared the fault.

Have tried activating but nobody home, I'll give it a few more goes and bleed the system incase there is poo in a valve 

New unit, not s/h 
I do not know what codes the old unit had sadly, but I do think it may have just been a non-communicating one 
Before I was given this beast it had been to the local dealership for coding, but they could not find the fault with it, so I am told. 

I'm a wee bit concerned that perhaps this new unit has been dropped or something of the sort  

• Like 1

ADS might not be able to communicate with it fully? INPA might be a better bet (there you go, two pie in the sky speculations to keep you awake at night with)

Pretty sure it was Power Stop in Tauranga sorted out my 530i module when it failed. They see lots of of these with all sorts of problems

I'm using the ADS interface cable with INPA, the standard k-dcan cable I have won't communicate with the car at all 
The ADS interface communicates with everything else so far and does pull the ABS/ASC up

Will be a bugger if it's a faulty new unit! But also not unheard of 

So I had the new unit sent away and repaired. It worked for approx 20 minutes and then stopped communication with INPA and the other modules in the car

I was getting speed sensor readings just before it failed. 

So I am considering lighting it on fire. 

The repair wash a cash job, so no real come back there

As i said further up the thread - Power Stop in Tauranga can properly test the module.

Send it to me. I can get most things solved unless someone else has screwed it..

54 minutes ago, hotwire said:

As i said further up the thread - Power Stop in Tauranga can properly test the module.

It was sent to them and repaired by them. 

34 minutes ago, HaNs said:

Send it to me. I can get most things solved unless someone else has screwed it..

Cheers mate, will check the harness side and pin tension on the plug. If I have no luck will send you through a message 

On 20/02/2018 at 10:15 PM, dirtydoogle said:

It was sent to them and repaired by them. 

The fact that you said it was a cash job suggested to me that it wasn't them you sent it to.

Why not send it back for them to recheck? They can bench test.

I have had them repair numerous ABS units over the years & successfully (except my own) 

I could do,  but at the price I got and it being a cash job I just doubt there is any come back on it really. Plus it was a while ago that they repaired it, I just work too much to get anything done on this car. 

I haven't had time to do the other checks yet. Does strike me as odd, being a brand new unit, faulty, then repaired only to fail in a different way than it did prior to repair 

I know a lot of people who have used them for repairs on other cars and never heard a bad word